Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Injured wildlife help!!

happycats
June 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Does anyone know of a wildlife rescue in the Campbellford/ Peterborough area?

My parents have a very young racoon, that's having problems with it's front and rear left paws, they think he may have been hit by a car, the poor little thing is using his nose to walk:sad: My parents are feeding it, and think that they can catch him (they have a humane trap).

Please, if you know of any place to bring him, let me know!!

Thank you

RaYne
June 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Phone all you local vets. One of them will know who in your area rehabs wildlife. I recently had 2 baby raccoons.. and a vet pointed me in the right direction..

badger
June 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
If possible, he needs to be enclosed, a wounded baby racoon won't last long out there. Poor thing.
There's a wonderful wildlife shelter here in Quebec. I've sent them several pigeons over the years.

happycats
June 14th, 2006, 09:51 AM
My parents live in a rural area, and everywhere they have called so far basically says "aw just shoot em, enough of them around anyway"

My dad feels he is alive for a reason, and if he was meant to die, he would have, and is amazed at this little guy/gals will to live! The little one is staying in a building on my parents property, and my parents are making sure he is well fed, until we can find a place to bring him.

phoenix
June 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Happycats, a couple of ideas in Peterborough (I'm not sure though...)

Humane society
LAWS (lakefield animal welfare society)
MNR
Riverview Park and Zoo
Champlain Animal Hospital

PEDPA
June 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I just met some people from the Sandy Pines Wildlife Rescue. They have ppl that pick them up .... I know theres a lady in Picton here .. I'm sure they will come to Ptbo. Just give them a call. If they can't make it there I am sure they can tell you who's closer to you .. they are in Napanee.

http://www.sandypineswildlife.org/

Phone(613)354-0264

and here's what their website says about baby racoons

Raccoons:

Young raccoon kits do not leave the nest when their eyes are closed. If your find a kit whose eyes are closed it probably needs to be rescued unless it has been recently dropped by its mother while transferring it. If it is warm you can leave it in a safe place in a warm box where no predatory cat or dog can find it for a few hours.

If it is cold, wet or injured it needs help.

All baby animals need to be warm, so place them in a small box with a towel and add some form of heat. A heating pad set on low or a hot water bottle filled with warm (not hot) water. A temporary, disposable heating pad can be made by putting one cup of dry rice or beans in a plastic bag, and micro waving it for one minute. Cover the bag with cloth or several layers of paper and nestle the kit into the softness.

Older raccoons often get separated from their parents when they are out for a nighttime walk. These young kits are warm healthy and well fed. They can be left out in a box that is too deep for them to climb out of, for a few hours and their mother will pick it up on the next round. Do not feed the kit, it needs to be hungry to call its mother. Make sure the location of the box is a safe place, part way up a tree or somewhere where a predator can not get to it. Monitor the situation but keep out of sight.

I personally had a baby racoon as a pet years ago on the farm .. we were told to give it baby pablum and cheerios and water. He lived a looooooooong time and loved those cheerios I tell you! lol... good luck .. let me know how it goes.

happycats
June 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone!!
The little one hasn't come around since Thursday, (it's really busy there on week-ends, cottagers) My parents fear the worst, but told them to call me if they see him, so i can contact one of the places listed above.
I hope he's just hiding because of the ATV's that fly around there all weekend:fingerscr