Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is she pregnant or did she just have a litter?

Monte
June 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Hi there,
This evening I found a pretty rough looking cat and brought her home while I looked for her owner. We live in the middle of nowhere with MANY coyotes so I didn't want to leave her out there. While I was pulling burs off of her I noticed that her nipples were pink and prominant. I went back to where I found her and was listening for babies and didn't hear any? She is pretty thin and very hungry. Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant or if she has just had babies? I am suffering tremendous guilt thinking I took mama away from her litter for the night.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Lucky Rescue
June 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Oh poor kitty.

If there are many coyotes, her litter was probably taken anyway, if she had a litter out there.

Her nipples may be pink and prominent, but is she swollen with milk? If you run your hand along her belly when she's standing, can you feel the individual milk sacs? If you can't feel anything then she may have had kittens awhile ago, or is now pregnant.

You need to take her to the vet to be checked out, treated for any parasites etc, and to be spayed.

Thanks for helping this cat!:thumbs up

Monte
June 14th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I will take her to the vet today!
Thanks