Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat eating mice could he die?

shopperholikarl
June 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hello, I wonder if my cat could catch something serious if he keeps eating the mice he brings in as trophys for me. THey are gray colored small mice, they look like the ones that hang out on vegetation and stuff. He ate all but the head...i know, disgusting!

nuttinfluffer
June 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
He could end up getting worms or other nasty parasites....best if you keep kitty indoors. He'll remain safe indoors and then you won't have to worry about the many dangers of being an outdoor cat.

shopperholikarl
June 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I adopted this kitty form the street when he was about 3 months old, he was kept indoors by me for 3 years, he had a balcony where he hanged out. Then I moved to a house where he immediatelly tried to get out, he escaped a few times and I am unable to keep him indoors, I had to move from a 1 bedroom apartment that had not outdoor access because he was destroying everything. I finally moved to another house with a patio, he hangs out in other pation and lots and brings a lot of mice, birds and things he catches. I have to move again to a 10 story apartment and are afraid that I won't be able to keep him indoors and he is going to escape and get lost or killed. Does anyone have suggestions about my situation? Thanks

catsnatcher-CDN
June 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
There are three cats in my extended family who were born outside and lived outdoors for the first 3 years of their lives and once they were adopted, all three cats adjusted to indoor living.

Cats don't belong alone outside. Is your cat fixed?

joeysmama
June 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
It's just too dangerous for a cat to be outdoors. Our cat died 14 years ago from eating a mouse. So I'm going to say the answer to your question is a resounding YES !!

And she was an indoor cat !! But there was a mouse problem along our street due to the property behind us being overgrown. She was in our basement and caught and ate a mouse near the sump pump. Mice that have been poisoned will try to find water. Since she was older and slower moving the vet thought that she probably wouldn't have been able to catch a healthy mouse and died as a result of having ingested a poisoned mouse. We took her right to the vet at the first symptoms but it progressed SOOOO rapidly that she had to be pts almost as soon as we got there.:sad: