Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog lethargic, congested and red bumps

roadrash
January 8th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I recently took my 2 year old beagle to the vet because she looked like she was sick. The vet said her temp was about 104 and put her on Amoxicillin. After she started taking the pills I noticed that she started getting red bumps on her ears. She is also still kinda lethargic and sounds like she is congested when she breathes. He now gave me Baytril to try. I will find out if that works but any idea what may have caued the red bumps? Or if these symptoms sound like anything specific? She still eats and drinks and does not vomit but she is very tired and still seems to have a fever.

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM
She could be having a reaction to the Amoxicillin.As with people,some are allergic to it.My neice is allergic to it.And hubby is allergic to penocillin.Have you told your vet about the red bumps?He may have to prescribe something else.

roadrash
January 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I called him today and he had me pick up Baytril to see if that makes a difference. I will start giving her that tonight and see if she starts to get better.

Luba
January 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Good luck :D

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Also,do you have a humidifier?That may also help with the congestion.

roadrash
January 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I will try that. Thanks

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Your welcome:)

Question?Did the vet give you any answers as to what was causing the high temp?

I am glad to hear that she is not vomiting and is still eating and drinking.:)

roadrash
January 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
No not really. I took her in to get her yearly shots and I also mentioned it seemed as if she had a cold. He mentioned it may be a respiratory infection. He said he has seen quite a few cases because of the drastic changes in temperature we are seeing here in Texas. 80 one day and then 40 the next.

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Well I do hope she feels better.But if the temp is still there for a couple of days,I would let the vet know.Maybe even have some bloodwork done.Just to rule anything else out.

roadrash
January 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM
My beagle has been on the Baytril for almost a week. The red bumps on her ears are almost gone, which makes me think it was an allergic reaction to the Clavamox. She is still not back to normal tho.

She does seem to have improved but she is still very tired. She has a little more energy than she did the first time I posted this thread. the vet is going to put her on another week of Baytril and see how she does.

Luba
January 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Poor baby, keep her hydrated and she'll come around :D

roadrash
January 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Well, the vet put her on another week of Baytril and also a week of Amoxicillin (different than the Clavamox from before). She has been taken these pills since Thursday 1/15/04. This may not make sense but she seems to be better and not better.

She still does not act like she used to and now she seems to be have a hard time standing up after she has been laying down for awhile. It is almost as if her back area hurts. Another thing I have noticed is that her rectum area seems to be kinda poofed out as if shee needs to have a bowel movement but even after she has it still stays that way.

any ideas?

I am probably going to take her back in today and see what he says. I have no clue what this could be.