Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iced tea recipe?

technodoll
June 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I love making iced tea in the summer, and was looking for new "tried and true" recipes - i'll try anything once, LOL :crazy:

ps: i normally use a black-tea base in a bit of boiling water, and add a bag or two of flavored tea (lemon, peppermint, ginger-peach, raspberry, etc), some sugar, and let steep for a few hours... remove tea bags, add cold water and lemon juice... pretty good stuff. but am curious about "sun tea", looks so much easier to make. is it flavor-intensive though? :confused:

jjgeonerd
June 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
We used to make sun tea all the time when I lived in Vegas. We just used 6 Lipton tea bags and 1 Orange tea bag in a 1 gallon glass jug, then let it sit in the sun until it reached the desired darkness. Add sugar to taste and throw in the fridge to cool. Simple, cheap, tasty, and super easy. No more flavor intensive than regular iced tea.

technodoll
June 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ah that sounds like something i could definitely do! does it work when there is no sun? say it's cloudy outside but summery-warm? or do the sun's rays have to do the "work"? sorry for the stupid question... not much luck with sun here lately :mad:

jesse's mommy
June 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I love green tea so I've made iced greed tea. Basically the same as your first post (boil, let it sit, cold water), but I add honey instead of sugar.

technodoll
June 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM
would it taste something like the "Arizona green tea" you buy in the pale green can? LOVE that stuff... but hate hot green tea! i know i'm a wacko... you've inspired me to try it though ;)

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 02:58 PM
but hate hot green tea! i know i'm a wacko... you've inspired me to try it though ;)
really?? Have you tried the flavored green teas?? I make my iced tea with Celestial Seasonings rasberry green tea....mmmmmm...rasberry...mmmmmmm
it's really good (same recipe as yours...boil, add tea bags, add honey, cold water and ice cubes!) Oh! and I add fresh queezed lemons instead of lemonade

jesse's mommy
June 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I too like the Arizona tea, but the homemade tea doesn't really taste too much like it. I think the Arizona has more additives to it that makes it a lot sweeter. I suppose you can add more honey into it to make it super sweet. :D The flavored green teas are super yummy too.

technodoll
June 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
i can't wait to get home tonight & brew up a batch!! the sun-tea will have to wait for a weekend though.. .not much sun in the evenings :rolleyes:

jjgeonerd
June 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
ah that sounds like something i could definitely do! does it work when there is no sun? say it's cloudy outside but summery-warm? or do the sun's rays have to do the "work"? sorry for the stupid question... not much luck with sun here lately :mad:
Don't know...sun was ALWAYS out in Las Vegas! :p It probably would, just take longer. The sun is just heating the water...but it gets it really hot. Probably depends how hot it is outside.

Puppyluv
June 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm a believer in the importance of not oversteeping tea, so my method is somewhat different. I steep several tea bags in a small volume of water for no more than 5 minutes. After that, the tannins become too strong and the tea becomes bitter. This is true only for black tea and green tea (oversteeping is the most common reason for people not liking green tea in particular, as its tannins are quite different from black tea's), tisanes (fruit or herbal infusions) can be steeped for as long as you want because they don't contain tannins---they aren't tea afterall!
The strength of the tea depends on how soon you want to drink it. If you are willing to let it cool for a couple of hours, make double strength to what is reccomended by the tea manufacturer. If you want to drink it immediately, make quad strength. For the double strength tea, mix 3 parts tea to 2 parts water to 2 parts ice, with sweetener as desired. For quad, mix 1 part tea to 1 part water to 4 parts ice (it is still hot, so about 3/4 of the ice will melt) adding sweetener as desired.

Now for actual recipes. I get free Tazo tea, so my faves are ice passion tea (a berry infusion) and iced wild sweet orange, each sweetened just slightly( i don't like that sickly sweet tea they serve in the south). Due to my addiction to coffee syrups (torani, davinci, etc) i usually sweeten with one of these. My fave is passion with blackberry syrup or lime syrup. or wild sweet orange with valencia syrup.. mmmmmm

ok, now some standard recipe ideas that don't depend on free expensive tea and a pantry that looks like a coffee shop :p

Green tea + 2-3 limes + sweetener

mint tissane + mint leaves + honey

green tea + grated fresh ginger + sweetener

brew chai tea bags with cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamon pods, scrape in a vanilla bean or add pure vanilla extract, add sweetener, cool. add milk instead of water, and ice.

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
green tea + grated fresh ginger + sweetener
oooooooooooo, that's sounds so yummy!

technodoll
June 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM
oh... my... gawd! puppyluv, i have to file this and try it all or else risk drool covering my keyboard right now, LOL! :p thanks so much!

Puppyluv
June 16th, 2006, 01:29 PM
not really "iced tea" but it's really good. (I'm drinking it right now)

One cup cold, double to triple strength chai tea
1/2 cup milk
one cup ice cubes
2 tbsp honey

blend

makes 2 large servings and mmm mm good :)

some will like it sweeter, as chai is, afterall, a sweet drink
the more milk you put in, the creamier it is

technodoll
June 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
i wish i liked chai... i like the idea of it, i like the smell of it... but it just makes me gag. :o the other iced teas are on my list of things to do though!