Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Changing food and looking for suggestions

TracyG
June 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Hello everyone! I was told by my vet to feed my puppy Medi-cal for adolescents. After reading a lot of your posts,I am concerned that perhaps I haven't done the right thing! Anyway, our golden is almost a year old and I was looking to switch to an adult food. I would like to know your opinions about what are good foods. I would also like to know what fresh veggies and fruits are good to give in addition to the food and how often? (every meal? Once a day? Once a week?). I would just like to do the right thing to make sure that my puppy stays healthy!
Thanks very much!

Prin
June 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
You already know what food I recommend...;) But for fruits and veg, just be careful; some are poisonous or toxic to dogs. There's a list of ones to avoid here: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

You spruce up the food as often as you like, but be sure that your dog is digesting properly and you aren't overfeeding.

TracyG
June 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks Prin! I have been doing some reading on the internet and was wondering yours (or anyones!) thoughts on:
-Wellness
-Solid Gold WolfKing
-California Natural
-Innova

Is one better then the other? Is it really down to which one my pup would prefer? Will most stores give you samples to try?

jessi76
June 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
In all honesty, I'd go with one that has a great ingredient list, is affordable for your budget, is readily available in your area, AND that agrees with your dog.

Samples are great, to see if your dog likes it, BUT, you don't get enough in a sample to really test it out.

Also, be sure to switch gradually. mix whatever new kibble you choose w/ the current kibble you're feeding, and slowly make a switch.

I feed Sold Gold Hund-n-Flocken, only because the Wolf king was just a bit too big & dense for my dog. He likes the smaller, less dense kibble. I add to it, canned food, or some homecooked things, but as prin said, be mindfull. some things are quite toxic.

just so you know, it took me FIVE tries to finally settle on the kibble I use now. Trial and error. just don't buy HUGE bags until you're sure both you & your dog are satisfied w/ one.

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks Prin! I have been doing some reading on the internet and was wondering yours (or anyones!) thoughts on:
-Wellness
-Solid Gold WolfKing
-California Natural
-Innova

Is one better then the other? Is it really down to which one my pup would prefer? Will most stores give you samples to try?

Prin will definetly recommend Solid Gold WolfKing :D
All of those listed are good...I'm a little weary of Innova just because it has ALOT of protein, even more than fresh meat (since the meat is dehydrated, it has a higher protein content), but I know some people on this board feed it and have had excelent results so http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/3.gif what do I know?!
I'm thinking about switching to Solid Gold...or maybe to raw....

mafiaprincess
June 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I have been through 5 or 6 'good' foods. Finally found a fit on wolf king. Got the smaller poop everyone talked about

The only Innova with high protein is Evo... Al l the rest are a normal good quality food, comperable to anything else of higher quality.

jesse's mommy
June 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
We feed Jesse Wellness. We usually feed her the lamb and sweet potato, but sometimes give her the chicken and sweet potato for a little variety.

Prin
June 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely say Wolf King... Some people swear by Innova Evo while others say it was the reason for serious long term health issues... The rest of the Innovas are ok...

Wellness foods are good too. I find them just a bit grainier than the Wolf King though.

coppperbelle
June 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I feed Wolf King too!