Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you prepare a dog for a move?

puppy4ever
June 12th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Just wondering if there is a way I should somehow prepare my dog for a move? My husband & I are moving to a different part of the city. I don't want to cause even more issues in my guy...any tips?

Lissa
June 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I would start taking him to the area where you are moving so he can familiarize himself with the neighbourhood/scents etc... Other than that, I am not sure there is too much you can do in advance - other than continuing with training and socializing in as many areas/situations as possible.

If you anticipate problems and he is not alread crate-trained, it might be a wise idea to consider it! Also, if you think the move itself will be too busy/stressful, perhaps he can stay with a friend or family member for the first couple of days??

When you do move:

If he is crate trained or has a special blanket or bed, it is best to have those things set up immediately. I would also have his food and water in a similar place where he can see most of the going-on's in the room.

Try to make as few changes to his schedule as possible (walk, feed, play and train at the same time)...

puppy4ever
June 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks Lissa - great suggestions. He's crate-trained so I'll have that all cozy for him when we take him to the new place. And a long walk around the neighbourhood first. Crossing my fingers that he will be alright. He's gonna love the new yard as it is bigger than the one I have now!

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I would avoid washing the bedding stuff for a while before moving... I mean, he won't be as secure if the bed doesn't smell like him. And try not to leave him alone in the house until everything is in.