Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you spay while in heat?

erykah1310
June 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I have finally convinced my friend that her 3 females need to be spayed even though they are indoor only cats.
She is going to get them done FINALLY!!
But the thing is... They are always in heat. Do you know if the vet will still perform the operation??

LibbyP
June 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
As far as (I) know most vets will still do this while in heat but it will cost more $$$. Some will ask to wait till they are out but the fee will still be higher as they have already been in heat, Hope this helps, it's a good thing for your friend to finally be doing this for her cats even though they stay indoors, health wise it will be much safer for them and it'll give your friend some well diserved quiet;)

Prin
June 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it can be done. Some vets do charge more though, as Libby said.

badger
June 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM
And worth every penny. Three intact females - I wouldn't last a day!! She's lucky there hasn't been an oops along the way.

erykah1310
June 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM
3 cats constantly in heat!! I cant even stand being on the phone with her. However, now she decided that she didnt have time to do it ( with school full time and work part time) so I called and made the appts. Im taking 2 in, and paying for them! ( she said she cant afford it right now, apparently a new dirtbike for her bf was a better investment!!!!:mad: ) She has agreed to pay me back monthly! I know she will to cause we have been close friends for a long time, and have lent her money before (and large amounts)
Needless to say at least 2 will be done next week! once she is close to paying me back i will bring her third in!!

Plus... Larry and Mia are going on the 27th!! ( sheesh the vets going to love me)

LL1
June 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
It depends on your vet.Some will not do it then.

erykah1310
June 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
When i called for all the appts, they said its not a problem to do it while they are in heat. Seeing as though cats are in heat so frequently, unless they get spayed or bred.