Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopting a Puppy Mill Dog

Dora7
June 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
My first post :) ~ Has anyone had the experience of adopting a puppy mill dog? If so, is there any advice you can give re: housetraining, socialization? I may have the opportunity to adopt a dog that I believe came from a puppy mill and I am curious to know other experiences people have had with these types of dogs. I am looking for good stories and challenging stories (you know, hope for the best but prepare for the worst!).

Thanks!

mafiaprincess
June 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I rescued my roomates petstore pup. She came from a mill. She has a sketchy personality,submissive pees when new people get too close. We have good days and bad days. But her off and on personality would have made a lot of people ditch her long before now. I give people anti mill speeches when they ask about her. She's a cutie, but a poster dog for why buying from less than a quality breeder may not get you that pefect dog. Year and a half of training and maturing, and things are much improved, but it was certianly a giant challange for being my first dog.

Mrs. McArthur
June 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
My husband and I have just adopted a rescue pet. For us it was an hard decision because you never know what the dog will do. We were lucky and got a dog with a great personality, he is a great big suck!! loves to cuddle!!

I would adopt a puppy mill dog as long as it is in reasonablely good health and has a okay/good dispostion. With time, patience and training almost any personality quirk can be adjusted/fixed.

I do have one concern. He is under weight and has developed a runny nose, increased drooling, sleeps more but not lethargic will still go for walks but he seems really hot and his nose is dry. Can any one help me???I have a vet appointment on Wed june 14th should I just wait? I know this is sort of off topic but I am worried because he is under weight.

Puppyluv
June 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Mrs McArthur, start a new thread with your Q's, and people will be more than happy to help you there.

kaytris
June 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Have you met the dog yet? Is it in a shelter, or in a foster home? What does the foster home say about her?

Dora7
June 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Have you met the dog yet? Is it in a shelter, or in a foster home? What does the foster home say about her?

It is about 1 years old. It has been living in a foster home for less than a month. The dog is supposed to be very shy around people (very timid but seems relatively sweet especially after what it has been through), not housetrained and not able to walk on a leash (yet!). I have lived with dogs my whole life, even puppies, but I know this will be an interesting challenge (that I am very excited about).