Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty collars--what's safe?

LM1313
June 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I have indoor cats, but I always worry that they'll claw through the screen and get out while I'm at work. (They never have so far, but it only takes once.) What kind of collars do you think are best and safest for cats? Or are harnesses better?

Shamrock
June 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Indoor cats can and do escape. After a close call with one, I decided ID collars were something my cats needed needed as a precaution, and they have worn them for two years now without any problems.

There are lots of different types.. matter of individual taste Though all are deemed safe for cats today..I prefer the elastic, stretchy kind.. Some of the break-away types dont seem to break away very easily at all, and that concerns me.
If your cats are big climbers.. and you are worried about the safety issues.. harnesses can be a good alternative. The tags can simply go on the rings.

It's important to check the area underneath the collar regularly of course, for matting or any skin irritations.

I always remove the bells from their collars as well. They are indoor cats, not hunting, but could become the hunted if they were to escape.
I lost one lovely cat to a coyote some years ago,..slipped out unnoticed as we turned in for the evening.
I later read that the tinkling sound has come to mean "dinner bell" for some of the many coyotes that are in the area. I believe that's the reason he didnt make it through one single night on his own.

In the still of the night..how many kitties are advertising their presence?:sad:

Stacer
June 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
we bought the Rogz brand breakaway collars for our 2 cats, the breakaway is almost too flimsy, we had to tighten them a little bit extra so they couldn't get their nails or teeth under it and pop it off. The clasp is definitley strong enough to not come off with normal use, but I'm confident that it would breakawat fairly quickly if it got caught on something, just based on our male cat popping it off by getting his back claws under it.

dtbmnec
June 13th, 2006, 10:29 PM
My kittens have ones with bells and I think I'll take the bells off...They abhor the bells anyway because it dingles and they don't know where its coming from or how to stop it!

I still need to get actual tags for them though....Gonna go do that this week....

:)

Megan

LM1313
June 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Shamrock, I got two breakaway collars yesterday and had the same problem as yours, they just don't breakaway easily. I have to get a firm grip and yank hard to get them apart . . . I don't think my kitties could get out of the collar if it was stuck in a bush.

I also have two stretchy collars that the shelter provided when I got the kitties.

With both the breakaway and the stretchy collar, Booster sometimes tries to get out of it and ends up with the collar stuck in his MOUTH! Booster has a very thick neck, I'm wondering if that's part of the problem.

~LM~

Lissa
June 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Minnow wears break-away harnesses with her ID...

Personally, I do not think break away caollars hold much truth but if your cat did get tangled, I have no doubt that they would slip out of them...Minnow is the worst for this, she now knows how to slip a harness without even being tangled so no more walks for her:eek:...The only time, I would think that a cat couldn't slip it, is if they were hanging from something - which is why Minnow has a harness instead of collar (so she wouldn't be as likely to strangle herself)...

Shamrock
June 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
LM, yes, thats what I found also - they required quite a hard tug to seperate.
Maybe you could return these collars and try the harness... see if that works better?
If neither seems suitable for your kitties, a microchip offers peace of mind too. Mine have them, but if lost..people look for a collar first in every case, dont they? To me.. that makes them important to use.. just in case.

But even if the collar failed to break away, I think as Lissa mentions.. a trapped cat could slip out of it in almost every instance. (they are very strong when need be, arent they)
Trees pose the biggest risk for the dangers of collars to me -if kitty became caught, and fell while strugglling to free themselves:sad:
But, this would be a very rare occurance, I believe, and would apply more to outdoor cats who explore. They face many risks.

An indoor cat who gets out(unless chased up by a dog) is not likely to be climbing, but hiding under something.. terrified.

LM1313
June 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
That's true, if needs be they could probably get out of just about anything, LOL.

They have microchips, which do give me some peace of mind. (They were included with the adoption fee, yeah! :D ) My main worry is for Remy if they ever got out because he's very skinny, shy tabby and I could see him being mistaken for a feral cat if he got out without a collar or harness. I'm not as concerned about Booster as he's plumper, friendlier towards strangers, and a Siamese, which some people think automatically means "expensive showcat". (Yeah right . . . there were three adult Siamese at the shelter the day I got him and he was the last of a litter of Siamese kittens that had been dumped there.)

I think I'll try the stretchy collars again for a bit . . . If those don't work, the kitties do have harnesses. I have a Spokanimal tag (local ID), rabies tag, microchip # tag, and a name/phone tag ready for them . . . Poor kitties, they won't know what hit them. ;) I couldn't fit my address on the tag, though; "Southeast Blvd" was too much for it! So I put "INDOOR CAT" on that line instead.

A lot of food for thought in this thread, thanks guys!

chico2
June 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM
My 3 cats have breakaway collars,with the free tag I got from Humane Society of Canada(see pic),since they go outside with us,that's the only time they wear their collars.Strangely enough they know they cannot go outside without them,or us.
They break away quiet easily and often we have to look for the collars,since they lost them,by rolling in the grass.

badger
June 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Where did you find those collars, Chico? I'm definitely interested.

chico2
June 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Badger,they are just regular Wal-Mart collars:p