Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Share your horror stories!

Puppyluv
June 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Sometimes, when your dog, cat, or whatever, is being particularily poorly behaved, it helps to hear of other people's pet-disasters. So, c'mon, stop trying to forget that horrible incident, and share your pet horror stories.

I'll start:

Layla's a quiet dog (bless her) but my oh my does she love to chew. She knows now, what she can and cannot chew, but it took her a couple of months to figure it out. I've added up the cost of everything I have had to replace/fix because of her chewing, and it totals $7300. That does not include my front door, which is an antique wooden number, that is now full of chew marks and scratches, and went from being worth about $3000 to about $10.
What was the worst? The 15" by 15" hole she chewed/ripped apart in my kitchen wall, straight through to the adjoining wall in my bathroom.
What did I feel bad about? My best friends miu miu shoes, worth $750, that she just got for her birthday the week before.
She jumped over a 5' tall, 3' wide wall/kitchen counter, so that she could get into my kitchen, and destroy all that she could find.
She has chewed computer cables, vaccuum cleaners, shoes, bras, clothing, the corner of my fridge, my couch, the inside of her first kennel (plastic) so that she could escape, stereo speakers, walls, doors, chairs, duvet covers, everything. She hasn't chewed something of mine for 15 months now though, so I can only hope that I'm in the clear for good! But my god, do I love her to death no matter how many thngs she has/will destroy!

Prin
June 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Boo in the beginning was a chewer too... He has chewed:
- all of my dress shoes to the point where I had none left ($$$$)
- furniture (just enough to know he was there $$)
- snowboard boots ($$$$)
- bras, bras and more bras ($$$)
- my man's cell phone and wallet ($$$)
- the tv remote (chewed up into such small pieces that it took a while to ID it with an autopsy $$)
- garbage... emptied and sorted dozens of times
- newspaper- any and all shredded to bits.. No value though.;)

That's all I remember for now... He sticks to kleenex boxes and water bottles now. :thumbs up

Jemma hasn't destroyed a thing since we got her,:angel: but before we got her, I know she gradually chewed an entire dining room set into tiny pieces.:D

technodoll
June 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
(many moons ago...) We were standing on the sidewalk saying good-bye to friends who were returning to Europe, they had one foot in the cab and were late for their flight. What does my male dobie do? he just lifts his legs and empties his bladder on my friend's leg! Poor guy was soaked down to his socks and shoes... needless to say he was p*ssed and the cab ride to the airport was NOT pleasant! :eek:

Brat
June 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Oh, I'm sure my list won't even include half the things that Prince chewed and/or destroyed. They were pretty much all horror stories. They were times that I was SO discouraged.. I cried a lot... this dog put us through hell and back haha.. but I love him so much!

-a winter tuque
-all 3 of my couches (including peeing on the suede cushions)
-the wire that connects my tv into the wall (a few days after we bought the tv)
-an extension cord while it was still plugged in (yikes!)
-a whole box of starter logs for a fire. (that was a wonderful thing to come home to)
-blankets (which i expected)
-a nutella jar. (he ate the whole thing..that was a looong night)
-he ripped up my carpet
-I have thousands of deep scratch marks on my walls and doors
-he has ruined all my carpets by peeing/pooping/throwing up on them
-a pair of sandals
-a pair of snow boots
-my boyfriends biking gloves
-he shredded 7 layers of cardboard that were under his crate while digging
-firewood
-numerous garbage bags (FULL ones) ripped up all over the floor
-a 10 pack cd collection
-an optical computer mouse in PIECES
-picture frame

im sure there are tons more. My bf and I are sitting here making up this list laughin the whole way and remembering those times.

Frenchy
June 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
All 3 of mine never destroyed anything :angel: to a point I tought they were a bit boring!But my fosters.....a bra,beautiful covers for my couch (both of them) carpets,box of kleenex,a leash and many,many more.:)

jawert1
June 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Peaches doesn't chew/destroy, but she has an almost uncanny habit of peeing on my mother and a friend I spend a good deal of time with, and shredding my unmentionables.

Simon however....

Simon destroyed an entire 24x18 foot room of carpet in 45 minutes, with what looked like one thread near the stairs to start. He had shredded the main part of the room so badly that when I went to repair it using a staple gun until the carpet guys came out, my ex asked when we installed Frankenstein's monster for flooring. He was poo'ing carpet fibers for a week.

Next up was the hardwood floor in the kitchen, particularly near the porch door, which was raised enough that he could chew on it until it was toothpick sharp. When the door was shut, all was well, but the moment you opened it from the outside to come in, you ended up stabbing your foot badly on this thing. The garbage can he would pee on, no matter what, meaning the wood floor under the can was a wreck.

He also only chews the left shoe of anything, never both, only the left (peculiar pointer pecadillos)

Since we moved to the apartment, he's gone from randomly doing things like this (as well as disemboweling his woobies) to not marking at all (unless he's sick like in the fall) and only chews nylabones and woobies. Even the new dino I bought them the other day is still intact, though now that I've said that, he'll probably eviscerate it in my bed (his favorite surgery place). Funny, even though we've gone the better part of 2 years without incident, that "it's too quiet" quiet still freaks me out, though now when I frantically race through the apartment looking for them, I'm greeted with sleepy looks of disgust rather than guilt and fluff everywhere (mostly :p)

Prin
June 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Jawert, I love your descriptive writing.. It's so fun to read.:) (picturing my favorite not-my-own doggy doing these things is an added bonus too)

mafiaprincess
June 12th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Wow guys..
Cider's an angel I guess...
She ate the arm of an ex's glasses.. she eats kleenex, finds nasty used chewing gum and goes hog wild. Chewed on some fireplace bricks, ate a hoel in the old apt carpet where there already was a big tempting hole, so I kept telling her to leave it but we didn't pay to repair it..

But she's never gotten into anything big or bad, but she doesn't get to slink around unsupervised either, she has to be near me liek same room or so at all times..

Skryker
June 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Oh, where do I start?!? My monster dogs are 7 months old now-i believe that is prime rebellion stage?

-chewed and dug holes aplenty in the drywall;one spot is up to 7 patch jobs now.
-dug up part of a hardwood floor.
-chewed the baseboards in 8 different places.
-pulled up and ate the linoleum in 4 places.
-3 pairs of shoes so far-2 sets of leather running shoes and 1 pair of leather sandals.
-1 hardcover book, 4 paperbacks, 1 library book and more magazines than I can count-Fingal thinks "Reader's Digest" is a command, even though I tell him it's a literary term. :o
-socks, socks and more socks. Sweaters, chewed on but not destroyed.
-chewed a hole in one of the new couch cushions about 3 days after it came.
-chewed deep toothmarks into both TV remotes.
-pulled a glass bowl off the counter and broke it.
-15 or so pens.
-ate my daughter's glasses.

The other day, if I left them for even a minute to go to the can, I came back to find paper and cardboard spread all over the living room. That's the day that my sandals and another paperback bit the dust. All this despite a constant stream of toys.

What can you do? Comes with the job description of "dog owner". Right now, Fingal is into grabbing whatever he's not supposed to have and taking off with it so that I will chase him and take it off of him. I know I'm re-inforcing his behaviour by chasing him, but I can't let him eat stuff like lightbulbs and pens. That stuff, I blame on the humans who left it where the dog can get it-which is anywhere not in a drawer or cupboard. Last night I found Bronwyn completely all 4 feet up on the mantle of our faux fireplace trying to get a yogurt container my daughter left there (yes, teh kid got the lecture on that one!:mad: The mantle is NOT a garbage can!!!!!!!!!).

My huband gets frustrated at the destruction, but I kinda feel like a lot of this is because the humans aren't trained well enough to put stuff away where it belongs-me included.

pitgrrl
June 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Well, this is only a partial list, since I think I've blocked out a lot of stuff as a way of coping......

Basil and Streets destroyed 2 couches. By destroyed I mean removed all the apolstery (sp?), pulled out all the stuffing, leaving only the wooden frame and some springs.
They preformed a similar trick on my futon, digging out a hole in the center big enough for both of them to fit into (and they're each aound 75lbs), which is where I found them when I got home.
Streets ate the last remaining tape of a band the BF was in years ago. He actually ingested the entire tape part, which very, very luckily passed through him. You can imagine what that poop looked like.
Since the tape incident hadn't managed to drive the BF out of the house, they ate his bike seat, and then the next two he bought as replacements.
Then there was the more typical stuff, like half a bag of sugar, countless bags of garbage, a couple of pairs of glasses, some bike grease, thousands of dollars worth of photography books, the bottom half of a wall, a few dust pans, and they chewed the plug off of a amplifier cord.

There are many more items, but that's all that comes immediately to mind.

erykah1310
June 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh my!! Here goes...
Meiko..... DIGGER!!! my only garden that ever actually grew!!! GONE!!
Chewer.... NOt so bad, but however Guy lost a pair of hip waders and a fishing rod to meik once

OH DEWALT POWER DRILL LOL... I was accused of selling this drill in a yard sale.... NOT with the charger or case but just the drill.... Meiko, decided to clean up after Guy and burried it in the rose bushes!! LOL while cutting the lawn I saw a yellow thing in the flowers and undug it and to my suprise it was THE DEWALT!!!

Kita....... Ha!! She has chewn my couch ( in 45 minutes)
NO STUFFIE is safe around here!! EVER.
4 wheeler tires took a lickin once too. that was not good!
The seat for the trike DELISIOUS
Garden hose on top of garden hose ( out of this habbit now thankfully)
Door blinds ( apparently they were obstructing her view)
Floor tiles.... tried to dig through them
Bottom step to the basement, ( no need for that anymore!! lets chew it!!)
Dog house door, GONE
Nice comfy blanket I made her, lasted one nite!! Thanks Gurly!!
And thats all i can think of off the top of my head

mastifflover
June 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM
When I had Boo (Neoppolitan Mastiff rescue) he was great when I first got him. Well after about 3 months and realizing that he was not going to be dumped again he decided tho do some renovations. I came home one night after working a 16 hour day to be greeted by Boo with feathers stuck to him and floating all over the place. When I got further down the hall I was mortified to find my duvet and 4 feather pillows destroyed and it gets better he destroyed my queen size mattress as well. If I would not have been so upset I probably would have laughed he had feathers stuck in his slobber attatched to him from lying on them after he ripped it all apart. He was a force to be reckoned with he ate other things like remotes and shoes and clothes but that was the worst mess I had to clean up at 5 in the morning when all I wanted to do was sleep.Luckily Buddy is my little :angel: he has never chewed anything.....yet

jessi76
June 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM
:eek: wow, you guys have real horror stories. I can't even imagine. basenji's are known for their destructive behavior, however, my Tucker... total angel.

he's 1yr - 3mth old now. and to date:

2 teethmarks in a very old crappy entertainment center.
2 teethmarks in the heel of my expensive leather boots (still perfectly wearable, not even noticable really)
chewed the fridge wire, shorting it out - but repaired it quickly, moved the wire. no more problems.
chewed the handle of a 13" seraded knife. (knives are now in a drawer, not a block)

that's it.

(his own toys are a different matter, destroyed in 2.3 seconds, but hey, that's fine, my house and belongings are all in tact.)

Prin
June 13th, 2006, 01:35 PM
It's so funny how I made my list and then seeing all your lists is making me go, "Oooooh yeah! I forgot about that!" lol

Melei'sMom
June 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Wow! I guess I am really lucky. Melei just has a thing for paper. No kleenex is safe from her. Papertowel roll from one end of the house to the other doesn't seem so bad now. It is a little vexing though when she chews the back cover and final pages off a book I shouldn't have left on the couch. I had to go borrow the book from a friend to find out how it ended.:rolleyes:

All my phone books have the corners chewed off and seperating the pages can be a challenge, but no shoes, drywall or flooring has been sacrificed, so compared to other horror stories, mine isn't even PG 13 :highfive:

gomez
June 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Gomez likes to eat socks... not just chew them but also swallow them, 2 in his short 18 month life - both were little white sneaker socks, without the bobble... both came out the top end a few days later, dirty, but still wearable (ha, as if!)

Anything Gomez chews, Gomez swallows, so it's just as well he mostly tears and shreds toilet paper and magazines - when he was a puppy a few shoes got magled, but nothing drastic.

On the street he sometimes picks up gums, but he only defies us on the "leave it" if it's red or green, everything else gets spat out - odd boy...

Puppyluv
June 14th, 2006, 06:14 AM
LOL Gomez, my parents' dog does this too, except its more like 100 socks, and they come out the bottom end, completely unwearable :yuck:

gomez
June 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Aha, at least your parent's dog is digesting them then! Gomez just keeps it in his tummy a few days, til he's good and done with them... Mind you in all that time, he is so perfectly normal you start to wonder if he really did eat the little sock...

The sock is probably bigger than his whole digestive system!

dtbmnec
June 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Things that aren't safe from my kittens:

My curtains...the windows...Kleenex boxes...Pawz's food (Leo will steal it)...our toes at night...our sanity...the recycling box (its covered and they still want in!)...pizza (don't ask)...chips (again, don't ask)...paper...plastic bags in garbages...my bras...anything that moves...my boyfriend's jeans...chairs, couches, furniture (even after spraying that "no scratch" stuff all over it)...the computer keyboard...shower curtain...the fridge...all sorts of wires (they will chew them even though I spray the no scratch stuff on them too! Stubborn beasts!)

I'm sure I'll have more to add to that list later. Oh and I don't actually feed my cats pizza or chips...but you look away for two seconds and BOOM they've got some or they've gone and stuck their nose in it! Oh and don't get me started on the chip crumbs, I really must train my human friends better!

The fridge is the worst...they'll actually try climbing into it! I ended up accidentally closing it on Leo once (didn't know he was there!) and then returned the milk to the fridge and found a kitten sitting in there (rather happy too!). I yelled at him for that one and he wouldn't come out unless I picked him up and tossed him on the ground, at which point he tried to return to the fridge! Now they BOTH try and get into there and whenever I open the fridge they come running!

Our sanity has been tested since we got the two demons...of course that's assuming we had sanity to begin with!

Things that are safe (if any): the cat bed I bought them (they don't use it), anything in the house kept above 2 feet (they haven't learned (yet) that they could jump up on a few things to get at the more "interesting" items we own, like swords)

The fact that I have anything on that list is amazing actually!

Megan

Dog Mom
June 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well reading these stories makes me feel somewhat ok about what my "savages" lol do.

- ate the cushions off our brand spankin new leather couch!
- a hole in the wall beside our back door
- my bra's and undies are a sought after item in our house!
-books/CD's/Movies/DVD's/shoes
- hubby learned the hard way Princess has seperation issues. left her in the truck when he ran in the store and came out half the passenger seat and door was torn up :sick:
- We also have "a shower monster" aka Buster, just this morning while I was in the shower he decided to visit mommy and couldn't see her fast enough so he just ripped the shower curtain down! it was kinda funny actually seeing him tangled up in the shower curtain looking happier then a pig in poo. Finishing my shower on the other hand was not so fun ROFL.

Luvmypit
June 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Wow! I guess i am lucky to have capone. Now he does not make one mess while we are gone. When we are home is a different story.

- loves panties and bras and I usually find about 5 panties in a half circle where he left them after chewing them.
- a whole queen sized mattress (worst thing he has ever done). I came home to a gaping hole full of springs and fluff
- a friends flip flops
- daughters stuffed animals (her fault b/c she teases him with them... so when I hear MOM capone has my bear. She usually gets a Oh well...we have too many of them any way,lol)
- hubbys leather gloves - x 2
- sliding door screen x 2, now on our third
- loves to eat kleenex
- corner of the coffee table
- Caught him eating the handles of scissors
- at least 2 pairs of heels and one pair of boots
- caps - beer, water bottle... if it caps something he'll eat it
- put deep gouges (sp) in my parket flooring in the apartment by throwing his bone in the air only for it to smash chips of the floor. Don't live there anymore. lol
Lately he has been good but still indulges in a stuffed animal or two and has never given up on the panties. Steals the guests napkins right out their laps still. Other then that there has been no major incidents since puppyhood.

But I guess I love him so much i didnt realize what damage he has done until you write it all down. talk about unconditional love!
I cant believe the couch stories those.. I think I would have mad if they ever destroyed a couch.

Stacer
June 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
my cats haven't done too much. Besides the stint with Angus peeing on our bed several times, they've been pretty good. They have their moments of absolute craziness in the middle of the night, but they don't really destroy things, oh wait...the other night I was woke up by a noise and I had to go pee anyways so I got up to find Angus chewing on my MP3 player, luckily he had just started, and had only chewed those little covers off of the earbuds (which for some reason he is obssessed with). Finn peed in my new car this past weekend, it was my fault though, she hadn't been in the new car yet and I was home alone trying to load them up to go to my parent's place, I left Finn alone in the car while I went to grab Angus. She was stressed, and I didn't realize she peed until the next day when I got in my car which had been sitting in the baking sun and the smell of the interior knocked me out. Damn. Poor Finn. Now my car smells horrid.:yuck:

LibbyP
June 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
WOW, I cannot even imagine what you all have gone through, reading what some of your critters have done is :crazy: . Compared to all of your stuff mine seems really, really, mild (unless it was so horrific that I blocked it out). 'Carly' RIP when we first moved into the house she was well known for counter surfing - ate a whole box of different spices that hadn't been put away yet, yummy nothing better than nutmeg and cinamin(ws):yuck: , Christmas she ate candy canes off the tree,tinfoil covered mint chocolate with booze in them, boxes of smarties (as you can read she had a thing for chocolates & sweets). Now 'Hov' my old man he ws famous for chewing the plates off the walls for the lights switches in his younger days - without ever leaving marks in the walls,did bbq'ing brought burgers in placed them on the counter, went back outside to bring other stuff in as it was raining, all the burgers were gone:mad: when crated anything that was close enough for him to pull in was fair game. Now onto my big girl - mostly 'Barbie' and one old doll that I had as a little girl(which makes it REALLY old) full of sand, corn on the cob(cob and all) from the garbage, she has NEVER taken anything else out-so now double/triple bag the cobs, digging to China in my flower beds.Oh I almost forgot, my old cat used to pee on my hubby side of the bed, even while we were sleeping (thank goodness, he never did it to mine LOL-sorry hubby) Really other than those small things(not at the time):) I've had it pretty easy compared to all of you

Puppyluv
June 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM
LibbyP, your recount of counter surffing reminds me of our old Dal. She LOVED butter. She could not get enough of it. If you had the butter dish out on the counter and left the room for more than 15 seconds, the butter would be gone. We started to put butter with cayenne in it out, but she loved butter so much, she would suffer through the pain of the spice.

Prin
June 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
So has Matty's owner been in here? lol

This should be the "before you buy a new puppy, consider this" thread.:evil:

Leather gloves, eh? What's the deal! We don't have a pair in the house with thumbs left.:rolleyes:

Skryker
June 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Oh, the memories! Lol-lots of stuff I forgot on my list just with these two monsters, let alone other past pets.

Thought I might have to replace my keyboard and mouse tonight, as Bronwyn knocked my husband's tea cup off the computer desk. Urk! At first I thought there was just tea on the floor, but after I cleaned all that up I went to type, pulled out the keyboard tray, and ewwww!! cold milky tea all over the tray, in the keyboard and all over the mouse pad. Everything cleaned up OK, though.

Butter-our Himmie LOVED butter! She figured out how to get the lid off the butter dish, so if it got left on the counter or table, in she went! She would wait on the table even hearing someone coming down the hallway, getting every last lick she could before she was removed from the table. She thought it was worth the scoldings, lol. For awhile, my Mom would grab her and butter her whiskers since the cat hated to have anything on her whiskers, but that was no deterent-it was just extra butter. She was also a fiend for corn cobs and would go spelunking in the garbage can for 'em. You'd walk into the kitchen and just see the cat's back feet hooked over the rim of the garbage can as she went after the corn. Weird cat. She also helped herself to the cake I made and decorated myself for my Mom's birthday one year. I was so proud of it and left it on the table for Mom went she got home. Uh huh! By the time Mom got home, about 1/4 of the icing was licked off the top of the cake. Boy, was I mad!

My little black cat Pepper used to pee on my work uniform every chance she got. Ick.

Dancer is pretty good about everything but cardboard-she shreds cardboard boxes like crazy. Very rarely, she claws at the carpet but never the furniture.
Good thing we love the fiends so much! :crazy:

stinkytaz
June 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Well Kasha (staffordshire bull terrier) who was stolen:sad: :mad: once ate a tennis ball when she was just 5 months od, she chewed it up and swalloed it whole! I ended up with two sleepless nights and a 500 vet bill as it got stuck in her tummy:eek: :eek: :eek: She ate her bed, she ate her way uot of her outdoor pen, she ate my bed, she got up on the dining room table and ate the clean clothes waitig to be ironed, she ate the back door, and the cat flap, there was no stopping her ( i would do anything to have her back though:(

Taz on the other hand was more costructive in his destruction if you get what i mean, for example, taz dosnt like the hoover so one day when i popped out to the shops next door, taz chewed the plug straight off the hoover so i woudnt be able to use it. One day i had been arguing with my boyfried and had taken the dogs for a walk, when i returned taz walked straight up to Daniel and pee'd straight down his leg and into his shoe - we werent arguing anymore we were rolling around laughing!:evil:

Dont you just love em!

puppy4ever
June 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Wow! I can't help laughing a little bit with these stories. :sorry: Actually, after my guy has demolished something I often have to hold back the laughter (I just see it as stuff anyway). He always seems so content with the mess he creates! He is pretty mild too. A list of his destruction:

- Just a few weeks ago he dug out half my garden in about 5 seconds flat.
- Ate my favourite hot pink sweater
- Baseboards
- Took a long strip off some laminate furniture
- 3 telephone lines which also knocked the telephones down which broke all 3 on the hardwood.
- Teeth marks on all my leather shoes
- Laminated quotes of wisdom
- Numerous socks - his favourite!
- The lawn - digging holes & peeing...don't think I'm getting my damage deposit back!
- Tissues, papers, books, hair elastics.
- Blankets & towels
- chair & table legs
- Just about every toy I've ever bought him (about $300-$500 worth so far)...I don't even bother with anything plush anymore (why do they make them anyway!?) except when I find something from a garage sale...still only lasts about 1 minute. IQ set w/ balls, talking ball, small kongs, squeaking plastic toys & ropes are all destroyed.

He has made me really worry on many occasions: Ate a chunk of cheese (plastic & all), an entire sausage (plastic & all), fisherman friend tablets (entire package) & one of those plastic things on the bottom of meat packages that soaks up the meat juice! :yuck:

Lise
June 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
My dogs are perfect(well......)Cats and birds take up the slack.Hawk and Oscar climb down off their cages when they run out of things to do up there and pretty much everything made of wood has been chewed as far as they can reach.Our cats just knock things over.

papillonmama
June 17th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Well let's start with Dory, my tiny little papillon.

my mother's 300$ shoes, times two, and another cheaper pair, just 250$.
My addidas, I was a little aggravated, but good excuse to get new shoes.
anything that my 10 year old left around, all of her toys, she used to enjoy little things, barbie and bratz accessories, as a bonus my daughter is much neater now.
she's destroyed three little pet beds, by digging.
she peed so many times on my eldest daughters bed that we've replaced her mattress twice, something that my daughter covered up for as long as she could, not helpful for training, but she (my daughter, not the dog) knows better now.
my carpet was a giant pee pad, luckily it was cheap, only 40$
phone cords, or any cords for that matter, I've gone through so many cell phones and cords.
bras and undies, there was a point when I was buying a pack of undies every week.
she used to eat socks too, but only my step-dad's cheesy socks.:p
she's eaten pants
phew, I think that's about it for Dory.

When Trigs was a pup he
dug an enormous hole in my queen sized mattress, and when I flipped it over, he dug a hole on that side too.
He ate my Harry Potter collection
He eats stuffies if he can get them onto the floor, 'cause then that means it's "his".

But since he's grown up, he hasn't done anything so naughty.

And I once had a cat that would eat my silk nighties, that was a bit costly.

This is what my cute little kittens did to my blinds in every room from about four months until I took them all down along with the tree in January...

Prin
June 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM
lol I remember that pic. That was funny. :D (for us, anyway)

papillonmama
June 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
lol, it's a lot funnier to me now then it was then. At least we can look back and laugh... now it's highjinx, but back then it was victimization.:o

Skryker
June 17th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Oh, my sympathies! My blinds are getting mangled regularly by the dogs sticking their head through them.

On the plus side, we were out for quite awhile today, and the dogs only pulled some stuff around and rearranged the couch cushions. No destruction, only a little paper chewed up, just the flyers. Good doggies!! (They had a really long wrestle in the backyard just before we went out ;) ).

Brat
June 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
and yet another to add to the list. This weekend, Prince managed to chew right through my passenger seatbelt. He was in there for 10-15 minutes while we rain into Ikea for something. He must have been really going at it cause seatbelt material seems quite thick.

Oh, I'm sure my list won't even include half the things that Prince chewed and/or destroyed. They were pretty much all horror stories. They were times that I was SO discouraged.. I cried a lot... this dog put us through hell and back haha.. but I love him so much!

-a winter tuque
-all 3 of my couches (including peeing on the suede cushions)
-the wire that connects my tv into the wall (a few days after we bought the tv)
-an extension cord while it was still plugged in (yikes!)
-a whole box of starter logs for a fire. (that was a wonderful thing to come home to)
-blankets (which i expected)
-a nutella jar. (he ate the whole thing..that was a looong night)
-he ripped up my carpet
-I have thousands of deep scratch marks on my walls and doors
-he has ruined all my carpets by peeing/pooping/throwing up on them
-a pair of sandals
-a pair of snow boots
-my boyfriends biking gloves
-he shredded 7 layers of cardboard that were under his crate while digging
-firewood
-numerous garbage bags (FULL ones) ripped up all over the floor
-a 10 pack cd collection
-an optical computer mouse in PIECES
-picture frame

im sure there are tons more. My bf and I are sitting here making up this list laughin the whole way and remembering those times.

Puppyluv
June 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
and yet another to add to the list. This weekend, Prince managed to chew right through my passenger seatbelt. He was in there for 10-15 minutes while we rain into Ikea for something. He must have been really going at it cause seatbelt material seems quite thick.
Not to be harsh, but 10-15 minutes is too long for a dog to be alone in a car. ESPECIALLY in the summer. Hell I think 1 minute alone in the car is too long. If I drive somewhere with Layla and "have" to go into a store, she gets out of the car and is tied up outside. Still not the perfect situation, but a million times better than being locked up in a car. Frankly, you deserved to have your seatbelt chewed. You should be glad it didn't tun out worse....

CyberKitten
June 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
The only one that comes to mind is a particular collegaue I am not that fond of - and he claims to like cats. YY was at my office and he asked if he could pick her up. I was about to say no when he went and picked her up anyway. She bit him!!! :) (First and only time she has ever done that to anyone!!)

It was funny tho I grabbed my baby and asked him why he picked her up. YY has good taste, lol

Brat
June 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Not to be harsh, but 10-15 minutes is too long for a dog to be alone in a car. ESPECIALLY in the summer. Hell I think 1 minute alone in the car is too long. If I drive somewhere with Layla and "have" to go into a store, she gets out of the car and is tied up outside. Still not the perfect situation, but a million times better than being locked up in a car. Frankly, you deserved to have your seatbelt chewed. You should be glad it didn't tun out worse....

First of all, it was 8:30pm and the windows were open. Don't tell me what I deserve or don't deserve.

You have no idea all the things I do for my dog. Do not judge me.

Puppyluv
June 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
regardless of what we do for our dogs, they should not be locked in cars.

Brat
June 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
regardless of what we do for our dogs, they should not be locked in cars.

So, it would be better to leave him outside at Ikea with the hundreds of people around. Yelping, jumping around, tied to a post?

Or how about in my car, SAFE, away from people with his toys at 8:30PM on a chilly night? I'll choose the latter. You do what you want to do.

I didn't drive there purposely to keep him in the car. We don't live near Ikea and we needed something right away. I was already coming out of the west island so it was only logical to stop instead of going ALL the way back to Laval to drop him off and come back to Ikea.

Telling me I deserve to have my seatbelt destroyed is about the stupidest thing I've read from your posts.

Puppyluv
June 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Would you have preferred your dog overheat and die? A RESPONSIBLE passerby calling the police and having your windows smashed to get him out? You say WE ran into Ikea... how about YOU run into Ikea and the other person stays with him in the parking lot? If you weren't planning on going, I can't see it being something that you absolutely needed. Hell, nothing sold at Ikea is something you can't last one more day without.
Hmm.. 8:30? Well it's 10 right now and... oh wait, it's 28 degrees out.. yeah I bet it was real cool at 8:30. Do a search on this site for "locked cars" you'll see that I am not alone in thinking that this is a deplorable action.

Lissa
June 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Would you have preferred your dog overheat and die? A RESPONSIBLE passerby calling the police and having your windows smashed to get him out? You say WE ran into Ikea... how about YOU run into Ikea and the other person stays with him in the parking lot? If you weren't planning on going, I can't see it being something that you absolutely needed. Hell, nothing sold at Ikea is something you can't last one more day without.
Hmm.. 8:30? Well it's 10 right now and... oh wait, it's 28 degrees out.. yeah I bet it was real cool at 8:30. Do a search on this site for "locked cars" you'll see that I am not alone in thinking that this is a deplorable action.

Brat said that the windows were down, no?

I once left Dodger in the car unintentionally for 10-15 minutes, in the spring. I do not think it makes me a bad owner in the least. I know what he can handle and he'd rather come along for a car ride and wait in the car while I run into the store.

If there were 2 people, I agree that one should have walked the dog while they other went into the store and I wouldn't support leaving a dog in a car in the summer... But then again, I would never tie my dog up outside of store either.

HunterXHunter
June 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ok, calm down ladies. We don't really want any kind of flame wars starting here :p So lets get back on topic...

Hunter has destroyed the following in the 7.5 months that we've had him:

- living room couch
- my pillow (a bit)
- 2 drywalls & 1 wall (he somehow managed to go right through to the other side :eek: )
- a door stopper thingy (he just yanked it out of the wall :eek: )
- a lot of things made out of wood
- a lot of paper products
...that's all I can think of for now :pawprint:

EDIT: thanks technodoll, you reminded me of the 87439847398739847293847903827895 slippers that Hunter has ripped into (how did I forget?)

technodoll
June 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
yesterday i came home to my favorite house slippers in shreds... gutted all over my bedroom floor :eek: AND the electric cord of our window A/C unit had deep teeth marks in it! not only dangerous, but VERY dangerous :( Gosh this summer heat is making things difficult in our little appartment... dunno what to do anymore.

Luvmypit
June 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
So as per my previous post I was so proud of capone being so good for so long that i think I got too cocky and he let me know yesterday that he was not above a little rip roaring fun. Funny because its been at least a good year that he has done anything wrong while we are out.
Yesterday I came home, dropped the stuff I bought from shoppers ran upstairs to get the kid ready for soccer, pet capone a couple times and right out the door.

When I came home all over my front room floor was...... tampons (sorry boys for going there). Thats right he ripped open my box and chewed on a couple, opened some up, probably rolled in them, then proceeded to open up some materna pills I bought regardless of the child proof lid. Not to mention the tampon box was ripped to shreds. the topper you ask? Was the fact that he ate my new colourstay revlon lip liner. So needless to say it does stay smudge free and stays on a long time just ask capone as he is wearing a beautiful shade of red on his lips still this morning. I counted the materna pills and luckily all where accounted for. If he wasn't a dog I would suggest there was a pattern here......

Hunter he went right through a wall :eek: I know that is not funny but..... lol

jesse's mommy
June 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Was the fact that he ate my new colourstay revlon lip liner. So needless to say it does stay smudge free and stays on a long time just ask capone as he is wearing a beautiful shade of red on his lips still this morning.

You are going to post a picture of this right?

pamha
June 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
Our older dog got over her chewing phase after her first year. The only things she destroyed that made me mad were my favorite sandels x2 and some baby toys passed down from my mom.

Lola, on the other hand, is now 18 months and though she isn`t as bad as she was, is still a chewer. She`s most likely a chow/BC, but I`m wondering if she doesn`t have some lab in her :D A partial list of her chew toys includes every slipper we own, half a dozen or so Barbies + accesories, some 'strappy' shoes, as many pens, pencils & markers as she can get her teeth on, gloves, undies, plastic hangers, and whatever she can fish from the trash. One of her favorites though, is any kind of electrial cords (not plugged in, no idea how she can tell). One of the few times I was tempted to physical punishment was when she gnawed the cord to my brand new Dyson ($$$) vacuum into many small bits.

We are lucky though, the cord was replaced by a handyman/friend and at least she doesn`t eat what she chews, just leaves the evidence all over the house!

HunterXHunter
June 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hunter he went right through a wall :eek: I know that is not funny but..... lol

Yup! A hole big enough for him to fit his head through. He pulled out all the insulation and somehow managed to miss all the electrical wiring (phew)

Skryker
June 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Oh, that lab chewing! Paper, cardboard, kleenex...everywhere. ANd Fingal has discovered that he can lift the lid of the bathroom garbage can with his nose-ewwwwwww! We need a better can! I hate chasing him around the house to retrieve "treasures" that he finds in there.

THey got into the expanding spray foam insulation my husband used to seal around the a/c, too-while it was still wet. :mad: It was still in the expand when it hits the air state, and Fingal got a big gob of it on himself and then shook. So I had to pick it out of his fur from on his lip, all down one ear, his shoulder, his chest, side and hip. Oh, and off of Bronwyn's lips, too, since she had to check it out. Aarrrgggghhh!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 25th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Ok well Joey is not that bad - he has destroyed a few of my kids toys - like he ate the head of off spiderman and batman.

His new thing now which is sort of annoying is when he sleeps on top of the air conditioning vent. At least Joey stays nice and cool. :D

LM1313
June 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I remember when we were housetraining Ebony. She kept peeing on one particular place on the rug, so we cleaned it with non-ammonia cleaners. Then we also got a piece of paper and sprayed it with this spray that had a scent that dogs were supposed to hate. So of course Ebony came in, carefully sniffed that paper, and peed right on it! :p

I also remember coming home from work and finding that my kittens had unraveled ALL the toilet paper. Busy, busy kittens!

And now my cats have learned how to open cupboards and kitchen drawers! You can imagine how great that is. Cat fur in the flour, mmm! Adds that extra flavor! :rolleyes:

Skryker
June 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Hee, that reminds me of something...my Mom grew up on a working farm in NB, and her father was also a woods guide and worked in lumber camps all winter. Anyways, they often had various orphened wildlife that my grandfather would bring home to raise, including raccoons. Although my grandmother was NOT thrilled with this, she tolerated the raccoons in the house even with their habit of getting into everything until the day she walked in to discover that they had got into the pantry, and got the lids off the molasses, sugar and flour barrels....:eek: ...and she had to clean up sticky, gooey pawprints from all over the kitchen.

After that, the raccoons were banished to the lumber camp. :D

And they had a raven that used to come into the house. It investigated my grandmother's desk and left her with a lovely bird-foot ink pattern all over the desktop once. But that was fine, b/c ravens are one of her favourites.:rolleyes:

SchnauzerGirl
June 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Well my Schultz is a little angel (most days) compared to other people's stories!

When he was going through his destructive stage he started to unravel the throw rug, although stern scolding and half a bottle of Bitter Apple on the rug cured him of that. He also had it in for my wrought iron furniture legs so now there isn't any paint on the bottom of the legs, but who sees that besides him?

He is now a year and five months and has only done a couple of funny and silly things like:
- Emptying my entire bathroom garbage can and shredding all the kleenex in the can (I had a cold, so you can imagine the mess)
- He also somehow perched himself on the edge of the huge potted plant on the floor, managed to grab a few dead leaves in the pot and then proceeded to shred the dead leaves while spreading dirt around the entire house
- He had partially shredded the cushion but I think that it was from all that scratching to make the chair more comfortable. The funny thing is that I have a blanket over the cushion and I didn't notice it because the blanket was flipped back over the cushion, like he intentionally hid it
- I've also gotten numerous slivers in my feet because he sneaks in sticks from outside and chews them up on the floor so there is kindling everywhere.

I hope :fingerscr that is the worst of it!

papillonmama
September 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
*sad music plays in the background*

*sniff*

She ate my shoes. Dory has great style, she loves the really cute ones, my favorite leather and suede converse sandals.

They were like this, but not strawberry pink, a really lovely camel color on the inside of the star.:rip:

papillonmama
September 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Psst... little secret though, I was able to find a store that still had them and I bought the last pair, so even though it was a senseless loss and a waste of money and fashionable footwear, I'm happy again! And I had a good excuse to shop.

I dunno, it sort of worked out in the end.:p

Prin
September 4th, 2006, 11:38 PM
And now you're going to store them on a very high shelf?:D

Angies Man
September 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Gus, my rescue Great Dane in college, chewed up a copy of Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse 5' from the public library. I took it back to see how much it would cost to replace it, "I wasn't too excited by this book, but my dog loved it!" It was about $10 (in 1977 a lot of money) so I didn't have beer (and Gus didn't have bisquits) for a couple of weeks. Only other thing he chewed were a pair of really groaty old workboots. :yuck: He regularly punctured his play balls, tho, Racket balls and tennis balls.

Worse, Gypsy, a GSD mongrel type, was my mom's dog when she was in Grad school. Gypsy ate a university library sociology book from a set that cost $1200 in 1974 dollars. If my mother had to replace the whole set, she probably wouldn't have been able to eat for an entire semester. She wrote the publisher to find out if she could just buy the one volume, told them the story, and they sent her the volume no cost!:thumbs up

Annie, a small Golden Retriever, was the only one who chewed a lamp cord (plugged in.) I heard this "snap" sound and a tiny yelp. No harm to Annie, but it did cure her of chewing right then and there. :)

My brother's current GSD, tho, is the worst. If they leave her inside when they leave, if his beeper goes off (lets out a regular chirp til it's answered) she gets frantic to get out, tears off the moulding from around the doors to the outside. She's done it twice--he replaces them himself, otherwise, hundreds of dollars of damage.

Angie's been teething, chewed up some old sandals, seems to favor chewing on the garden hose, and enjoys stealing dirty socks out of the laundry and prances around with one hanging from her mouth. She has a chew rope (won't touch it), some monster rawhide things (she likes those okay) but really prefers things she's not supposed to have.

Kristin7
September 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM
The pic of the Christmas tree reminded me of some things my Annie cat has done. I can no longer have a Christmas tree as apparently she thinks it is a big fun toy for her to climb, complete with more toys hanging from the branches. The first (only) year I put it up, she climbed all over it and knocked all the ornaments down. The tree happened to be in line with the motion sensor for my house alarm, so she also set that off one day requiring a visit by the police to see what was up. I cannot set out breakables on my mantle as she jumps up there and knocks them all down. She has figured out how to open her food can, but so far has been foiled by the new one with a screw off lid... however, i did see her trying to unscrew it one day! She will open doors unless they are latched shut, but sometimes I have seen her reach up and try and turn the knob as if to open it. Fortunately she is not strong enough to do this! Annie also loves shredding papers, anything on the floor or counter is fair game. She tears them into little bits. So far nothing important has been lost... I keep the important stuff out of her reach!!

dtbmnec
September 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The pic of the Christmas tree reminded me of some things my Annie cat has done. I can no longer have a Christmas tree as apparently she thinks it is a big fun toy for her to climb, complete with more toys hanging from the branches. The first (only) year I put it up, she climbed all over it and knocked all the ornaments down. The tree happened to be in line with the motion sensor for my house alarm, so she also set that off one day requiring a visit by the police to see what was up. I cannot set out breakables on my mantle as she jumps up there and knocks them all down. She has figured out how to open her food can, but so far has been foiled by the new one with a screw off lid... however, i did see her trying to unscrew it one day! She will open doors unless they are latched shut, but sometimes I have seen her reach up and try and turn the knob as if to open it. Fortunately she is not strong enough to do this! Annie also loves shredding papers, anything on the floor or counter is fair game. She tears them into little bits. So far nothing important has been lost... I keep the important stuff out of her reach!!

Well this makes me think that I won't try putting up my 1 1/2 foot Christmas tree....

So far my boys have used the "sneak and run for it" approach. They try to sneak into the cupboards with food in it and the outside door and then run for it at the last minute. I always catch them though :D

Now they just climb and spaz over anything that moves....they love the window sill to sleep in.....oh the garbage cans aren't safe from them anymore either....

Megan

papillonmama
September 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
lol, I love this thread, it makes everything ~ okay.... :cloud9: