Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crying and pooping in crate

GisyCard
June 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Here goes: My dog Wey Wey (10 months) has been really fussy lately when he goes into his crate to sleep. He goes in voluntarily; I don't have to force him in which is good. But, for like the last 2 weeks he's been starting to cry and bark as soon as I leave the room. If I'm in there he's perfectly happy. He's in the next room since there's not enough space for the crate in my room. We've never had a problem but all of a sudden this happened. It takes him a couple hours to finally quiet down and fall asleep, but it's hard on us because he is so loud! He howls and howls. Also, when I wake up in the morning there is poop all over his crate and his blanket. The pooing in his crate just started like 3 days ago, it's never happened before. I've been reading that dogs go potty within 30 minutes to an hour after they eat. I feed him in the morning and around noonish again (the vet told me to follow that schedule because before he had a crate he would poop about 2 or 3 times at night, even after that schedule he still did the same. It's as if he is holding it in just to go poo when we bring him in and he is outside all day). I don't know if he's holding it in or something but I find it strange that he would hold it in all day. Could he have separation anxiety? I know he is really needy and he wants attention all the time, but when it's time to sleep it's time to sleep. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I guess I can deal with the howling at night, I know he will get over it eventually, but the potty in the crate has to stop.

puppy4ever
June 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Your question looked lonely so I thought I'd try to help though I'm no expert. I've had great results with a crate though - the only area where my dog is perfect!

Have you moved the crate out of your room recently? Is this why he is howling?
There is mixed advice out there about where your dog should spend his nights...some think he should be out of your room completely, others think in the room. You mentioned that there isn't enough space in your bedroom, so I would suggest leaving your door open and positioning him close to it so he can hear you breathing.

I'm not sure about the pooping, when he is crying he is probably trying to tell you that he needs to go right then. Elimination doesn't always go as planned. I'd go into the room and wait for him to stop crying, then take him outside and see if he has to go. You could try a little jog with him as that tends to get things moving. I personally don't think he is holding it to be vindictive...that would be tough for anyone to do.

buffytwin
June 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Welcome to my world, lol.. although your situation may be different if he's a young puppy. Mine is now 11 months old and has been diagnosed with Seperation Anxiety. However some of my past threads may help, so if you want to take a look at any of my past posts they might help. A lot of them have to do with our doggy and his crate:) Good luck!