Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do your pets "console" you?

Mrs Bungle
June 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I have an interesting question to ask all of you.

This last 6 months have been kind of hard on me because of some personal issues. Anyway, becuase of it, there have been several nights where my fiance and I were just in bed talking and I may have been upset, specifically crying when all of a sudden, out of no where, my Sheltie Scruffy comes and runs on the bed and consoles me!!

He does it EVERY TIME no matter where I am, if I ever start to cry, he comes to my rescue and wants me to pet him and love him and make sure I am okay.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I find it so interesting how he just KNOWS something is wrong (and no im not a whaler or anything, yet he just knows somethings up!).

jawert1
June 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Yep, Peaches will come over immediately and either sit next to me, or half on me (which she will do at NO other time) and Simon will take the other side, so I'm sammiched between pups. My 2 have the ability to sense I'm about to break before the waterworks start, or if I'm just in a funk, rather like how I know it's going to storm before it does (broken bones and arthritis are a great indicator!).

jessi76
June 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
oh yeah, mine do it too. Tucker (my dog) consoles me if I cry, sneeze, or sniffle. Any tears or sniffles, and he is right there, licking my whole face, then stops to watch me.... any more sniffles results in much more face-licking... and he won't stop until I assure him "I'm ok". and the sneezing... omg... Tucker thinks any sneeze is the "sneeze of death". he comes charging, tackles me, licks me, and makes sure I'm alive. allergy season is funny.

Sunkist/Winnie
June 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
My cats do it. When I'm down they stick to me like glue and are extra snuggly and purr a lot more it seems.

It's a great comfort!

mafiaprincess
June 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Cider didn't used to. She does now. Gets her paws on my lap to try to reach my face, snuffles me, licks.
Also tries to give the doggie heimlick if you are coughing.

She's a regular little doggie nurse. :p

dtbmnec
June 12th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I haven't yet seen it with my two....

They can be quite the cuddly at times though, especially Leo, he loves being nuzzled...Pawz is wierd...he'll be very affectionate so long as you don't pick him up....

I shall have to keep an eye out for this one....would be nice if they would :)

Megan

SnowDancer
June 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Yes. My Eskimo immediate comes to make sure I am okay - after all I need to care for him. He asks for belly rubs and gives me "pretty kisses" - no teeth, etc. The difference though between my Eskimo and my former Dachshunds is that Eskie is a candy striper in training and my Dachshunds were "doctors". Their concern was all for me - not for me and for them. If I was sick and for once in my life fell asleep, my 2 Alphas would put their snouts right up to my face and then poke me to make sure I was alive and then settle down under my arm. Different breeds, different temperaments and different point. My Eskie is very sensitive to his own discomfort and concerned about mine - although it couldn't possible by his claws that are scratching me as he frantically tries to find the culprit and he claws away. But, he tries.

erykah1310
June 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Kita gurl will come up to me and lick my face as though to clear the tears. Meiko will lay at my feet during these times and puppy well he wants to play, almost like to say " Its ok mom we're here, now take your mind off it and play with us"
Animals do know when somethings up. Some just show it differently, wouldnt it be nice if people could only be so compasionate??

phoenix
June 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Sam lays beside me on the floor when I'm sick. Maia is more in your face, boxer kisses all over, it's hard to stay upset!

Prin
June 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Jemma does... Boo doesn't.. Jemma is cuddly and huggy, while Boo just rolls around on the floor making noises trying to make me laugh.

My old dobie was my rock though. He was my soul mate dog. He was there no matter what. Even when he had Wobbler's and could barely make it up the stairs anymore, he would. I owe my life to him so many times over.:love:

chico2
June 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
One of my cats,Rocky,my big tabby,comes running meowing like crazy even if I cough a little.
He is very much in tune to whether I am sad or sick,almost as if he is afraid of losing me.
He's under any circumstances never far from me,always close enough to watch me,sometimes too close....:love:

glasslass
June 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Pets are so intuitive! When I broke my ankle, had asthma problems, deaths in the family, they became velcro-pets. They make you feel better, loved, and you know you have to function to provide for them.

chico2
June 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Glasslass,how right you are:pawprint:
A dear friend of mine,fighting alcoholism,will readily admit,his 5 cats and the care of them saved his life,5 little heroes:love:

mastifflover
June 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Yep Buddy is right there to lick away your tears or just put his head in your lap. When I fell last year and broke my wrist Buddy just laid down beside me and licked me until I could get up and then walked so slowly home almost like he did not want me to fall again.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Joey does he comes up and sits on me when I am sad - and looks at me with his big brown eyes likes he is trying to ask whats wrong.

When my son broke his arm - Joey would sit beside him - but not on him -sort of like he was protecting him - it was really sweet.

Stacer
June 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I get headaches alot and when I take a day off work Finn stays in bed with me, which she normally doesn't do, she's not a snuggly cat. Angus could care less whether I'm sick, as long as he gets his food! My old cat was a nurse, she'd cuddle and purr my aches and pains away, and stick by my side when I was upset.

chocolatecoffee
June 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Panna and Cannelle are both very intuitive. Whenever anything's bothering me, they're constantly by my side and whenever they have the chance, they jump up and give me big kisses. On the other hand, Mocha, although she's an adorable dog who makes me laugh, acts as though she couldn't care less if you're sad or sick. In fact, she avoids you as though she's allergic to any sort of sadness :p.

CyberKitten
June 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
My YY has a unique way of communicating her concern. Sge places her paw on my face if I have tears or am down. Just between us girls kind of thing. Chelsea and Casey (my Sphynx Girls) are more cuddly when they think I am sick or feeling stressed. It is like having suede wrapped around me.

YY is a VERY sensitive kitty - she just knows things.