Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Happy Thread..Update on Nicky

Mahealani770
June 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Hello friends,
Well it's been awhile since I've been in here begging (lol) for help with my 5 year old rescue Pom, Nicky, and so I thought I'd give you all an update.
Nicky is doing great! It has taken 6 months, but Nicky has not messed in his crate in a solid 3 weeks. We took him across the United States from Georgia to Ohio for a weekend stay at my Grandma's house (3weeks ago) and not only did he NEVER mark in her gorgeous home (which I was terribly nervous about), but he hasn't marked or peed in his crate one time since we've been back. I'm so proud of him!
I was very nervous about how he would react around other people since my teenage cousins were going to be there and they can be a bit rowdy. Nicky is used to just my partner and I, a very quiet home and no other animals. He did pretty well except when one of the boys came running at him and scared the crap out of him. Nicky went after him growling, but that was to be expected. I've realized that he growls and misbehaves out of fear and anxiety, not aggression. The poor boy got stepped on twice accidentally and of course he growled each time, but I understood that too.
Because of the alpha and obedience training help you all have given me, Nicky sits before we go out, he sits automatically when we are at the front door to come back in, he even sticks next to us off-leash, when we let him. We know his body language as far as when he wants to go potty, so there have been zero accidents for MONTHS in the apartment. And since Nicky hasn't messed in his cage in a good amount of time, we are going to move forward with giving him the kitchen and baby-gating it off starting some time this week. He's a little insecure outside of his crate, when he can't see us, so I'm going to take that one slow. I started last weekend by having him sit by the front door and giving him the command "sit!". I walked outside, shut the door, counted to 5, then 10, then 15 and so on, walked back inside and that little angel was still sitting in the same spot I left him in each time!hahaha I praised and treated. It was the first time that he was out of his crate and completely alone inside the apartment and didn't whine and scratch at the door. It was great. I couldn't believe it! It shows that he is now comfortable with us and is starting to trust that we will come back when we walk out the door.
As most of you know, Nicky has guarding issues with his rawhides. I have been practicing the "give it" command with a very yummy treat and it went quite well. I laid his favorite rawhide in front of him and said "give it", took it with my left hand and gave him the better treat with my right hand. He never growled or went for the rawhide at all.
I don't know if you all remember me telling you that Nicky used to love to take his rawhide to my partner's side of the bed, between the bed and the end table, and anytime we got near him, he growled and tried to attack my partner when she got near. Well, he took his greeny treat back there yesterday and my partner decided to test him. She got very close to him and I'm sure made him feel cornered in that little cubby hole. She talked very sweet to him while calling him out and he dropped the greeny treat, then came out to her and laid down at her feet. I call that progress!
However, other times during yesterday, if he even THOUGHT we were going to come near the greeny treat, he would dart across the room, scoop it up, and run off to protect it. I hate that he feels that way. I hate that he feels he has to do that and I can't wait until he no longer feels threatened by our presence around his rawhides and treats. Practice makes perfect though, right?
Anyway, I'm working on "shake hands" this week(which he just can't seem to pick up), I will continue with the "leave it" command and we'll be trying the gated kitchen thing as well. I'll update you as progress is made.
I just wanted to give you all some positive feedback and I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your expert advice, patience, and love for animals. For those of you who are ready to give up on your fur babies
(I have been there), please rethink your decision, work hard and be patient!
Thanks,
Mahealani

jawert1
June 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I'm so happy to see this post, and even more so that you and your partner have formed a consistent front with regard to his training. Congrats and keep up the good work :D

jessi76
June 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
WOW! What a great update! Thank you so much for sharing your progress and letting us know how Nicky is doing! All I can say now is, keep up the great work!! :thumbs up

now... can we get you to post some new pics of Nicky? ;)

Mahealani770
June 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks ladies for your comments and your advice over these past 6 months. I have been planning on putting up pics of Nicky ever since I found this forum, but I'm going to have to get Marko to help me with that one! lol
I'm starting to question whether Nicky is a purebred pomeranian so look for the "Breed Guessing Game" thread coming soon..lol
Thanks!
Mahealani