Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog vomiting occasionally

Vmar
June 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hi all,
Our 2 year old cockapoo male(N) has been vomiting about once a week for about 2 months. We did change his kibble a while ago and are wondering if that could be the cause or would it be something he is eating in the garden? He seems very healthy otherwise and has plenty of energy on his walks. We switched from Presidents choice to pedigree when he had it at my parents house and seemed to like it. Has anyonre else had trouble with pedigree?

erykah1310
June 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM
You are gonna get a lot of YES answers to that question (for good reason too) I feed pedigree and have no problems with it.
I dont have much advice on the vomiting issue, but perhaps a quick check up from your vet is in order;) Incase there is something wrong!

jawert1
June 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Agreed with erykah, you may want to go in for a checkup if it's been awhile, or at the least, ring your vet to get an opinion :) As for choice of food, if you feel it could be that, check out the dog food forum here, it's got LOTS of great information :)

Shaykeija
June 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Make sure they check out his heart.

Vmar
June 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, I have a call into my vet. She was out for lunch but they will have her call me back this afternoon. I haven't been too worried about this because it has been so sporatic and he is having normal bowel movements. We live in a golf community so there are alot of bunnies around. A neighbour said that some dogs will eat rabbit poop.If this is the case I don't know how I can stop this.

Oceanichail
June 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I have a 3 year old cockapoo who has the same problem. I got him from a rescue 2 years ago and ever since then, he has been vomiting "yellow bile" in the morning about once or twice a week. We brought him to a specialst who did a gastroscopy on him. The diagnosis turns out to be a mild case of inflammable bowel disease. We have to watch very carefully what he eats. Since I got him and before we knew he has IBD, we had tried Cannidae, Eagle Pack Holistic, and Fromm Four-Star, none of them worked very well. Finally we put him on Wellness Simple Solutions Venison diet + canned food (Wysong Venison Au Jus, Nature's Variety Rabbit, Nature's Variety Venison, and sometimes Merrick) and he is doing fine now. The vomiting did not go away 100% but has been reduced to approximately once every 3 weeks.

From my experience, I think it's best to restrict your dog's diet and try to rule out which food he can or cannot tolerate. This is also true with treats. My dog seems to do well with Medi-Treats and Natural Balance Meat Roll.

Hope this helps.

jawert1
June 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
We live in a golf community so there are alot of bunnies around. A neighbour said that some dogs will eat rabbit poop.If this is the case I don't know how I can stop this.

ahhhh doggie M&M's, I know this problem well as I also live very near a golf course. Your best defense on this one, if he's indeed eating the droppings, is to not let him out alone, not even in your yard, and to stick close while he does his business and keep your attention on what he's doing. It won't work 100% of the time, my Pointer still manages to snag the occasional snack :yuck: (which makes me gag) but it's not nearly as often.

erykah1310
June 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
my dogs LOVE rabbit poop, they eat it all the time, along with cow and horse droppings:yuck: Although gross and disgusting to us my vet informed me that there is little harm in it. All it is, is undigested grasses and grains or what ever they are being fed, seeing as though my rabbits ( pets) only eat roughage there is little for me to worry about, as far as cows and so on it can be a bit scarier.
I wouldnt be too concerned with the rabbit droppings especially if they are used to eating it. I know its gross but dogs will be dogs!! LOL, however if you are uncomfortable with them snacking on such things then by all means keep a closer eye on the dog!

coppperbelle
June 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Vomiting yellow bile is often a sign of hunger. You should feed at least twice a day and before bedtime give him a treat or a handful of kibble.
The food you are feeding is full of fillers and this may also be the cause of the vomiting. The main ingredient is corn.
A few years ago I began feeding my dogs Nutro, Natural Choice dog food. Within weeks they began vomiting yellow bile. When they both vomited at the same time of the day within 5 minutes of each other I realized it was the food, switched them back to their old food cold turkey and the vomiting stopped immediatley.

Prin
June 15th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I agree with Coppper. With all the fillers and digestive aids in the food, it's probably passing too quickly, leaving his belly empty for too long. I'd try something with a little more meat and no corn in it.:)