Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More in-laws and dog grief...

cmt489
January 7th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Alright guys,

I need to tap into your wisdom. How can I tactfully tell my in-laws that I don't want them looking after our dog while we are away on holidays?

My in-laws have never had a dog (my father in law may have had a farm dog when he was growing up - you get the picture) and they are coming to stay at our place while we are away. They have always taken care of our cat in these situations (they have always had cats so this is not a problem) but we have not had our dog in the past.

Our little boy is almost 6 months old (which by itself is a task) and, to make matters worse, is a Shiba Inu. Anyone who is familiar with this breed knows that they are high maintenance at the best of times. Our guy is particularly so since he is a puppy and we live in a condo without a yard.

I have assumed 99% of the dog care duties since I am the one that could not live without the dog. I am here to tell you he is A LOT of work (but worth every second!)

My husband thought it would be "fun" for his parents to look after him while we are away (this task would have gone to my very dog experienced parents but we are going with them on this holiday).

Our walker, whom he loves and has known since he was 8 weeks old, is more than thrilled to board him in her home with her. This is what I want. But now the in-laws think that they are looking after him and are looking forward to it. I don't want to tell them that I don't trust them (and maybe they would be fine) but my gut instinct tells me not to let them take him this time (Especially since Shibas have trust issues with people they first meet).

Any ideas on how I could wrangle boarding him without them knowing that I don't want them to look after him??? Worst case scenario, I will just put my foot down but I was wondering if you guys might have a better way of dealing with this!

Thanks!;)

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 08:37 PM
LIE

Just tell them that your walker lost their dog has been grieving and would welcome the opportunity to have a companion for a few days. Just get hubby to go along with it ;)

cmt489
January 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Clearly, oh wise one, you have done this before.....:D

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 09:39 PM
haha
no it just popped into my head
that way nobody gets hurt and u can rest assure your dog is in safe and capable hands ;)

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Just say "This puppy is such a pain, I wouldn't think of inconveniencing you this way!";)

cmt489
January 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM
You know, there just may be more truth to that statement than you know....... He's sooooo cute though!

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Good on LR

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Hey Luba,that is a good one.I'm impressed.LOL.I would go with that one.
:D

Luba
January 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM
:) and NOOO I'm not generally a liar!

giggles

daisy18216
January 9th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I would let your walker puppy sit for you since he is comfortable w/the walker and visa versa.

I agree w/Luba. I don't like to lie but if you need to do it so you won't hurt your in-laws feelings then go ahead. Or if you think they will be fine if you explained to them why you want the walker to puppy sit instead of them they might understand better and not be offended.

Keep us posted. Good Luck:)