Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

confused and a little angry

dogcatharmony
June 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
i have been searching the internet for about a half hour now and i cant find an answer to my question so then i thought i would consult the animal lovers here and see if someone could give me some information especially if you live in ontario. oh and i have also tried calling different places but seeing it is sunday nothing seems to be open either. I just had the SPCA in my yard chasing a neighbours dog that is at large and in heat. I guess when the dog ran throught my yard...the guy chasing the loose dog ran through the cedar bushes and my dog who is outside on a leash jumped up and started barking and chased him out of my yard. now this guy who ran into my yard does NOT work for the SPCA and was just a regular joe blow chasing a strange dog. the actual SPCA worker was walking down the road with a rope while this guy is running through back yards. They never captured the dog at large but before the SPCA left the worker told me that my dog tried to bite someone and this was against the law and i was being warned???????????? Now she knew this guy was trying to help her and he also didnt know the dog..........why should i be warned if my dog chased a stranger out of MY yard? i am hoping i can find some answers.........im worried about this.........thank you for your time

Frenchy
June 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM
YOUR dog tied in YOUR yard chasing a stranger in YOUR yard....and you got warned?That's strange.Maybe the spca worker was just mad he didn't caught the other dog and had to rant...

LibbyP
June 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
First off where in Ontario do you live? Most spca's don't 'chase' stray dogs unless they(SPCA) have the animal control contract for that area. Was the stray dog confined in your backyard? Did your dog make contact with this man? What type of dog do you own? I could see you being in far greater 'crap' if your dog actually bit him, look up dog owners liability act 'dola' it will give you all the info you are needing. This is more of a civil matter, take the warning with a grain of salt, coming from a SPCA background that is what I think/know, hope this helps:)

mastifflover
June 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
First you have every right to be pissed off. Did they ask to enter your fenced yard. If not that would be called trespassing and that is against the law. If your dog who was protecting his home from a stranger did bite this guy he would be the one at fault. If they do make this warning (threat) to you again just inform them you will call the police and have them charged with trespassing then you can always inform the SPCA that it was not one of their employees that was chasing the dog that someone else was doing that while they stood off the property. Surely that would not bode well for the employee.

dogcatharmony
June 11th, 2006, 05:40 PM
thank you for the input. i thought it was funny that the worker had someone else trying to get the dog. they even asked that if the loose dog they were chasing could be caught by me because i live in the neighbourhood if i would secure it in my dog run until the owners of the loose dog returned home and that they would leave a message in their mailbox . the worker never even saw what the guy did as she was on the sidewalk infront of the houses. when i heard my dog bark ( u do get to know what the different barking means) i went on the patio and she didnt even nip at the guys heels she just put on her big dog mean bark and gave chase. im still going to call the humane society ( i found out that much that if any complaints are logged they go through the HS to the SPCA) and i am hoping that this guy doesnt try to chase anymore stange dogs through other peoples back yards.........i know my dog will protect but i dont think she would bite ( but she does have the potential seeing she has teeth) but i know other dogs in the neighbourhood would not think twice!!! once again thank you for the information and thankyou for listening to my rant:pawprint:

Beau'sMom
June 11th, 2006, 05:54 PM
The bylaws vary greatly town to town. I would suggest asking your local police deptarment the laws in your area. If your dog tried to bite someone invited onto your property I do believe you are both responsible and liable. If the person came onto your property without permission I believe they have to show probable cause, or, a "good reason" as to why they were tresspassing. I don't think trying to capture a dog is good enough.

Also the SPCA would put the warning in writing, not verbally. I too suspect the person was frustrated and took it out on you.

I would email the Ontario SPCA and lay out everything you told us, and ask them. Their email is info@ospca.on.ca

LibbyP
June 11th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I wasn't just telling you earlier what (I) thought and knew about the laws, I spoke with my friend who is currently an SPCA officer, the HS and SPCA are the same thing, HS have agents and inspectors who work under Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals act. It is not uncommon for animal control (in London) NOT to come out after hours for a dog running at large, they ask if you can hold until the next business day if not let it loose, if the people that were trying to catch the dog , didn't catch it how did they know where to post a note on the owners door and come and get it at your house? Was the man chaseing it dogsitting? Yes the SPCA can give a verbal warning but like I said take it with a grain of salt, it was just that a warning, I'm all for you emailing head office if you wish but better ask the head man himself, attention : acting CEO Mike Draper or acting Chief Inspector Hugh Coghill. You never answered my question earlier as to what type of dog you own, if the dog is a pitbull and the dog is on its own property and the backyard is not totally enclosed than it must have a muzzle on whether its leashed or not, now I just spoke with an animal control officer not from my area and they do go out after hours for a dog running at large if the dog is in traffic, if there is a potential risk to the dog and the public, check with your local municipall office to see what your by-laws are for your area, the police are not always that familar with animal control by-laws, hope this helps you:)

dogcatharmony
June 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
thank you libby for your information. sry about not answering your questionns yesterday i was a little freaked out. i have a chow/elkhound mix female and the dog at large is a charpei (???? dont know how to spell it))) mix female that was in full blown heat ( the worker told me that) the owners of the loose dog live a few houses down from me and because i knew the name of the dog the worker figured that i knew the owners which i dont. i just know the name of the dog because it is always loose and they yell for it constantly. as for the fellow chasing the dog he was just some dude that was walking down the street and saw the SPCA in front of my house and decided to help the worker look for the dog. i live in sault ste marie and i was shocked to see the SPCA in my yard seeing that last year the neighbourhood had a problem dog that was biting people and pets and only the humane society showed up and nothing was done (the dog still lives in the area and is still not tied up) My dog is confined to her yard and has never once been loose or at large. Let alone try to bite someone.........but she will sound an alarm if there is strangers outside even my neighbours say they know when to look outside because of the warning barks LOL. i think i have all the question covered and once again thank you so much for your input i have found out today that the owner of the dog has been charged numerous times for having a dog at large and lying about getting it spaded the last time she was impounded. i hope eveything is okay soon she really does deserve to be fixed and cared for properly it does break my heart to see her loose and at risk all the time.

LibbyP
June 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply dogcatharmony, I must say that if this owner keeps letting the dog run at large and they have to go and bail her out I don't think they really deserve to keep the dog :mad: I also think she would be better of spayed and in a new home that loves her and notices her missing right away. I know it's alittle unnerving to have an officer come to your home and verbally warn you against your dog in it's own yard, take it with a grain of salt today is a new day:) Wow, chow/elkhound tons of hair, what colour?

dogcatharmony
June 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
this is zoe.....not the best pic to see her but she is coloured like a fox

LibbyP
June 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM
OOOH she's cute, I find it very funny that she likes to snuggle under blankets with all that fur, I thought only no-coats liked to do that:rolleyes:

dogcatharmony
June 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
lol found a better one.........still she doesnt have her tail all curled up on top..she lets it down when she is inside but outside she has it high up on her back just to show it off. and as for hair she blows hair once a year:eek: its three weeks of misery buy after that she doesnt shed a hair till the next year

Beau'sMom
June 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
:love: Both your pets are very beautiful! :love:

glasslass
June 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Beautiful two-some! Cute "friendly felines" pillow too!