Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can't get rid of warts even after surgery

Greg265
January 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I have a cocker\spitz mix I have had her in for surgery 2 times the first time was for eye warts the second time was for eye and 5 face and 4 leg warts now she has them coming back in her left eye lid this is in a span of 6 months this is getting very expensive
is there anything i can do to stop these warts please help
Greg:confused:

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Yikes

My westie x had them too and yes he had surgery to remove them also! Were they 'surgically' removed 'burnt' off or 'acidized" (for lack of a better word) There are different procedures. Rusty's was surgically removed, cut right down to the core of the wart, then sewn up. They never came back.

Greg265
January 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM
mine dont either in same place they burnt them off too but they keep coming back in different places
Greg

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Thank you for letting me do some research:
http://www.marvistavet.net/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

Dogs actually can get viral warts, but not from the same viruses that cause human warts. Dogs do not get warts from people, and people can’t get warts from dogs.

In dogs, we do not call these growths “warts;” we use the more formal term “viral papilloma.” These are benign skin tumors caused by the canine oral papillomavirus.

Usually they occur in groups rather than as solitary growths

The infection is transmitted via contact with the papillomas on an infected dog. The incubation period is 1-2 months. This virus can only be spread among dogs. It is not contagious to other pets or to humans. To become infected, the dog generally needs an immature immune system, thus this infection is primarily one of young dogs and puppies. Beyond this, transmission details are sketchy. It is not known whether the infected dog must actually show visible lesions to be contagious, nor how long after regression of lesions contagion is still of concern.

http://www.dogsx3.com/ask_the_vet5.htm
There are two broad categories of warts in dogs. The most common are the ones associated with an older dog. They are accumulations of overachieving skin cells that have not been properly dealt with by a weakening immune system that accompanies advancing age. These warts are usually benign and only cause a problem if they become infected or grow to a larger size.

Warts in younger dogs are usually of an infectious nature. Canine viral papilloma is the official name of the condition. The virus is spread between dogs by physical contact during greeting or play behaviour. The warts are usually small, cauliflower-like in appearance and occur on the muzzle, lips and tongue. The virus can also be contracted on the skin around the anus or vulva. The incubation time from contact to development of warts is 1-2 months.

So how old is your dog?

Greg265
January 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
she has not even been close to another dog in 2 yrs except the vets office when i took her in to remove the warts

Greg265
January 7th, 2004, 06:51 PM
thanks for the info
Greg

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I'd consult a holistic vet about boosting the dogs immune system!!

:)

Greg265
January 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
What is a holistic vet i have never heard of one around here

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 07:42 PM
A vet that practices alternative therapies for animals

Vitamins and supplements, organic and raw food diets, natural homeopathic remedies