Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nuts

Chicoboy
June 11th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Chico, my 12 year old Chihuahua is having a problem with his testes. :o
First of all when he was adolescent they never came down so it looked like he didn't have any.
A few months ago they decided to show up, but they didn't come down right, they are both there, but it appears that both of them are in the same sack.
Chico does not show any signs of discomfort.

Do I need to worry about this or can I just forget about it??
Also Chico has always shot blanks, would he me able to conceive now?
tnx

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Chico should have been neutered 11.5 years ago. Not only for copulation reasons, but for health reasons too. How do you know he shoots blanks (just out of curiosity)?
I would take him to the vet, have him looked at, and then have him neutered. He still has as many as 12 more years of life left. It's never too late to neuter.

Chicoboy
June 11th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Chico should have been neutered 11.5 years ago. Not only for copulation reasons, but for health reasons too. How do you know he shoots blanks (just out of curiosity)?
I would take him to the vet, have him looked at, and then have him neutered. He still has as many as 12 more years of life left. It's never too late to neuter.

Neutering is a great idea if you don't want pups, but we want pups.
Please answer my origial question:
Does Chico's condtion any pose any serious danger to him??

btw, I know he shoots blanks because he has been on many dates with some hot Chihuahua girls and never any pups, and as you know, if a dog's testes don't come down, then he is sterile.
tnx

Swanky_Kitten
June 11th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Why do you want pups when there are 3089 chihuahuas on petfinder? Does he have any show titles?
To answer your question. Yes. It most likely does pose a serious problem.

Retained testicles can cause problems such as cancer. This trait is hereditary so if he were to breed he would pass it on to his offspring.
Just get him fixed.

phoenix
June 11th, 2006, 07:38 AM
:troll: :troll:

Chicoboy
June 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Why do you want pups when there are 3089 chihuahuas on petfinder? Does he have any show titles?
To answer your question. Yes. It most likely does pose a serious problem.

Retained testicles can cause problems such as cancer. This trait is hereditary so if he were to breed he would pass it on to his offspring.
Just get him fixed.

Thanks for giving me a good and proper reply. :D
I can't afford a vet, but since it is a serious problem I will get a loan to pay for chico's treatment cuz I love him so much. :angel:

LibbyP
June 11th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Yes I have to agree with Swanky_Kitten, working with MANY different breeds of animals from cats to horses and pigs this is very much a hereditary trait that can be passed into his offspring not only the male puppies, but males from the females down the road:o I am surprised that your vet did not recommend having him neutered because of this when he(Chico) was a younger boy? Did you want to wait and see if they fell, so you could breed him then? Just a question:)

jesse's mommy
June 11th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I can't afford a vet, but since it is a serious problem I will get a loan to pay for chico's treatment cuz I love him so much. :angel:

You cannot afford a vet to neuter your boy, but are able to afford all the costs associated to the proper care of a litter?

You do realize this is a VERY pro spay/pro neuter forum that is highly against backyard breeders?

Chicoboy
June 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
You cannot afford a vet to neuter your boy, but are able to afford all the costs associated to the proper care of a litter?

You do realize this is a VERY pro spay/pro neuter forum that is highly against backyard breeders?

Yes you are right & I was wrong.
But I wish you could have been less insulting to me.
If you cared about people 1/2 as much as you care about pets you would not make me feel lower than a dog.
This forum has rules about insulting people that apply even to you.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Insulting?I don't think so,she was only trying to make a point and make you understand that this is a pro neuter/spay forum...I mean come on,you are talking about breeding a 12 year old dog :mad: ,what do you expect from us??

OntarioGreys
June 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Chi's have quite a list of genetic problems and breeding should be left strictly in the hands of experts who know and are familiar with the past pedigrees of the dog and are familiar with genetics, so in your case it is probably lucky he has only been able to shoot blanks and that he has not caught a fatal sexually transmitted disease.

The fact he had undescended testicles is just one example of why trying to breed him is a bad idea, do you know any history on his littermates or parents, grandparents etc like were any merle? The list of problems that could occur if he has the gene that could produce merle colored pups
Merle coat pattern is a carrier of possible severe eye conditions and blindness, deafness, hemophilia, sterility, and numerous other health concerns
do you know if any of his ancestors had the the following health problems?
other genetic anomalies in the breed include, epilepsy and seizure disorders, patella luxation, hydrocephalus(water on the brain), moleras(a soft spot in their skulls where the bone plate do not fill in)

also both male and female must be health screened prior to mating to prevent sometimes fatal lifethreatening sexual diseases from occuring to the breeding pair.

I am sure your chi is a wonderful pet and that you love him, but how would you have felt if he died or got a serious disease because of attempting to mate him because you failed to have health screening done before hand. Properly planned matings are expensive which is why good breeder charge a lot of money for pups, they invest a lot of money into the dog with health screening and genetic testing to ensure they are breeding healthy and temperamentally sound pups.

Love him enough to get him neutered to try and prevent him from developing testicle or protate cancer

Dragonfly
June 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Let's keep it civil, ladies and gentlemen.

Chicoboy
June 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Chi's have quite a list of genetic problems and breeding should be left strictly in the hands of experts who know and are familiar with the past pedigrees of the dog and are familiar with genetics, so in your case it is probably lucky he has only been able to shoot blanks and that he has not caught a fatal sexually transmitted disease.

The fact he had undescended testicles is just one example of why trying to breed him is a bad idea, do you know any history on his littermates or parents, grandparents etc like were any merle? The list of problems that could occur if he has the gene that could produce merle colored pups

do you know if any of his ancestors had the the following health problems?
other genetic anomalies in the breed include, epilepsy and seizure disorders, patella luxation, hydrocephalus(water on the brain), moleras(a soft spot in their skulls where the bone plate do not fill in)

also both male and female must be health screened prior to mating to prevent sometimes fatal lifethreatening sexual diseases from occuring to the breeding pair.

I am sure your chi is a wonderful pet and that you love him, but how would you have felt if he died or got a serious disease because of attempting to mate him because you failed to have health screening done before hand. Properly planned matings are expensive which is why good breeder charge a lot of money for pups, they invest a lot of money into the dog with health screening and genetic testing to ensure they are breeding healthy and temperamentally sound pups.

Love him enough to get him neutered to try and prevent him from developing testicle or protate cancer

:thumbs up
Ok, now I know the score, I wish I would have know that when I first got him.
I had now Idea the Chi Breed and so many serious genetic pitfalls, and I never heard of dog VD.
Hind-Sight is always 20-20.
I will get Chico a vet appointment asap.

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes:
so you have been trying to breed a dog that for 12 years has shown all signs that he is unable to breed? You get pissed off at me for providing two pieces of good advice: 1) take him to the vet and get him checked out and 2) get him neutered. You try to breed him with all sorts of females. Have any of them been checked for all the required tests and pedigrees? This sounds like the ultimate in BYB to me. You can afford to have a dog for 12 years but not at any point in there to neuter him, though you had been planning to have pups? Did yout think pups are free to care for, or were you planning on letting the owner of the Bitch handle this?
I don't get it.

jesse's mommy
June 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Thank you Puppyluv. My point exactly! I'm thinking :troll: .

rainbow
June 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I agree. :troll: :troll: :troll:

He has a few posts going here that are equally as bizaare. :crazy: :troll:

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
And he was so quick to pull a 180... look at how quickly his attitude in his posts changes...:rolleyes:

glasslass
June 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Not to mention the costs associated with the pregnancy and birth. Many Chi's require C-section.