Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat urinates blood

mpl
January 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Hi,

My cat had a similar problem last year, yet it wasn't as serious as now. I have found traces of blood around the house and I have caught my cat crouching and staying in a peeing position very long and leaving behind droplets of blood. She has stopped doing it around the house and has now moved to her litter box, but nothing seems to come out, only little droplets of blood. She eats, goes to her litter box for a really long time, asks for the door and starts all over again. I really don't know what to do in order to help her. I don't have the money to consult a vetenerian, since I'm still in school and my mom is really tired of having my cat around, she wants her to be put to sleep. I've had my cat for 9 years now and I was hoping that there was another solution to this problem. I know that she is probably suffering, but before my mother puts her to sleep I would like to know what she has and what I can possibly do to help her.

thank you for your support and advice

mpl

mona_b
January 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
OMG,please don't have her put to sleep.PLEASE take her to a vet ASAP.

Did you take her to a vet the first time this happened?

This is the part that alot of us don't like hearing.My cat/dog is sick but I can't afford to take him/her to a vet.Do people not think that these animals will ever get sick?

I suggest you find a way to get money.Do you not think it will cost money to put her down?

And if she is suffering,then I'm sorry but it is your fault.

You can not help her unless you take her to a vet ASAP.

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
BORROW THE MONEY AND GET THE CAT TO A VET NOW!!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I understand that you are not in control of the finances in your house, but letting this go on is very cruel.

Your cat probably just has a bladder infection, and needs antibiotics. Call your vet. Beg them to see her - you may be able to arrange to make payments.

I don't know if you have ever had a bladder infection, but it's extremely PAINFUL and your poor cat is suffering.

Having her put to sleep is not free, and would probably cost the same as the antibiotics.

mpl
January 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM
It's the second time she suffers from this and the first time cost us approximately 400$....I'm sorry if this offends any of you, but I don't have that kind of money. My aunt had to put her cat to sleep too because she didn't have the money to operate it. It had already cost her 250$ for a simple examination. I'll go consult my vet as planned, hoping that it is not as complicated as it now seems.

I hope that you understand my situation, I do not want my cat to be put to sleep, I love her very much, but I would rather let my mother put her to sleep than see her suffering...

bohemian
January 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I must say I am fairly ANGRY!

Your cat is peeing blood. We are not doctors on this board and even if we were what good would it do. Could we heal your pet with words? We would tell you what you already know...go to a vet.

It's bleeding for god's sake. IT'S IN PAIN.

You are indeed offending at least me by writing this...

You put this sad story out here...and tell us you will do nothing cuz you have no money....so why put it out there? Your family member (yes for most of us on this board pets ARE family members) needs IMMEDIATE medical treatment.

SO MY ADVICE IS

-If you still choose to do nothing DO NOT POST AGAIN.

-You should be calling as many vets as you can to see if they will take payments.
-You can also try Vanier college or University of Montreal. I believe they have vet schools or vet programs and maybe they can help.

If your pet is alive after this ordeal get pet insurance.

If it isn't, for the love of god, NEVER get another pet until you can afford it.

mpl
January 7th, 2004, 02:16 PM
dear Bohemian,

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you, but you have no right to respond to me in such a way! Don't you think I already know all of this. By posting on this message board I was only trying to find people from whom I could possibly get advice, people who had similar problems. Trust me if I didn't like my cat I wouldn't be trying to find an alternative! I thought that by posting on a board where people are animal lovers I could at least find some compasion and maybe a little sympathy. If you were to put yourself in my situation you might understand a little more and instead of replying to my message the way you did you would have a little bit of sympathy and understanding! No offense but if you would post a message similar to mine I wouldn't be rude and unlike you instead of practically treating you like a bad owner I would try to find solutions to your problem and encourage you through it instad of making you feel horrible ! And I'm horribly sorry if you don't understand that I'm only 18 and don't have a job since I'm a full time student. I'm already in debt for my studies...and therefore it is hard for me to take such a hard decision.I don't know if you have already gone to college but it's pretty expensive and 300$ and up is hard to find.

thank-you to all of those who, instead of trying to put the blame actually try to help and sympathize!!!

p.s Do you seriously think I wasn't going to send my cat to the vet before you and all the others told me to. You seriously believe that I am doing nothing about this!!! Come on by posting my message I was simply looking for support and for people who have already gone through this to give me advice !

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Somehow you aren't understanding that we are not offended!

We are ashamed!

bohemian
January 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM
What kind of advice, support or sympathy can we give you?

REALLY?

The problem is not a small one.. it is GRAVE and immediate. Sometimes you just have to imagine that the cat is a person and it becomes much clearer. You just have to do what needs to be done. Beg, borrow steal!

I feel ENORMOUS sympathy for your cat.

I am glad you WILL do something though...even though your first post suggested the cat might be put down for this.

This is my last post on this subject...no need to start a war here.

Truly I wish you and your cat the best of luck!

B

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
had already cost her 250$ for a simple examination.
I"m sorry, but I simply don't believe that. My vet charges 35$ for a simple examination.

You also say:

p.s Do you seriously think I wasn't going to send my cat to the vet before you and all the others told me to. You seriously believe that I am doing nothing about this!!!

Of course we thought that, since that is exactly what you told us.:confused:
I don't have the money to consult a vetenerian, since I'm still in school and my mom is really tired of having my cat around, she wants her to be put to sleep.

So should we assume that you are lying?

Your mom is "tired of having her around"? She better hope no one feels that way about her when she gets old and starts peeing in her pants.;)

Luba
January 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Let us know what the outcome is, good luck

chico2
January 7th, 2004, 08:40 PM
This was a really sad post,sad for the poor cat,who is obviously suffering.Even the fact the mother"does not want the cat around",is very sad.Unfortunately there ar many people out there to whom cats are disposable and not worth spending money on.There is proof of peoples cruelty in every shelter.
I can understand the money situation,but most vets would let you pay in installments.
Your cat is still young at 9yrs and has a lot of living and loving to do yet,please give her a chance..and quick!
If your mother is a good mother,she would help out and understand you"love"your cat and that she is important to you.
Also,like someone else said,a simple check-up is $35 at most vets,not $200.A Veterinary college is also a very good idea.
It all depends on how much you care about your cat,proper care of our pets do cost money..but the love they give is worth every dollar. Anita

mona_b
January 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
You could NEVER put a price on your pet.They are part of our family.And if you do put a price on them,then I'm sorry,to me that shows you don't care.We have all had money problems one time or another.But that has never stopped us from finding a way.Alot of us have more then one animal.Dogs,cats or both.But as owners,it is OUR responsibility to take care of them.They are OUR babies.

Also,how did you think we could give you any solutions when we all know that your cat is suffering?And you couldn't afford to take her to a vet?Seriously?

If you are a college student,already in debt,And your mother doesn't even want the cat.Why did you not try and find her a good home?Someone who would be able to take her to a vet when she got sick?

I told you alot of people didn't like hearing things like this.

Please let us know how she is doing.

mpl
January 9th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I know that a regular examination is around 35 $, but the one that my cat will have to undergo and already had last year costs much more, were talking in the hundreds. I know that giving it away would be a solution, but no one whould want a sick cat with a 300$ bill... and my mom was actually looking for someone who wanted her before she got sick.Yes, believe it or not I truly care about my cat so much that I convinced my mother that when she brings her to the vet, instead of getting her put to sleep, to go for the basic examination ( the 35$ one) and to ask the doctor what she might have without doing all the tests since it probably is the same thing as before. Afterwards my mom will tell me how much it will cost and from there I'll try a way to find the money and save my cat.

Unfortunately, there are no vet schools close to my house, but it is a very good solution !:)

Alot of you seem to think that I literally wasn't going to get my cat checked up, this is not what I meant. I meant that my mom was simply going to bring my cat to the vet to get her put to sleep, that she was not going to get her checked out. This meant that I couldn't afford on my own to pay for a 300$ check up. I don't know if you understand.... I wanted to, but my mom thought otherwise.

And trust me I really do care for my cat! How couldn't I, I've had her since I was 9 ! And I, like all of you, consider her as part of my family, even though my family memebers don't share my point of view.

I will keep you updated with the outcome....

chico2
January 11th, 2004, 08:42 AM
What happened? What did the vet say?

mona_b
January 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM
But is your mom going to ask if a payment plan would be allowed?Please keep us posted.And please be honest ok.

mpl
January 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM
My mother finally brought my cat to the vet. After examining her the vet gave us two solutions. My cat did not have a simple urinary problem her whole kidney is disfunctional, this would explain why her peeing disability reoccured. The vet told us that she would be affected by this sickness for the rest of her life and that complications would occur frequently. She told us that the only two solutions were that she either prescribed daily medication for my cat, medication that she would have to take all the time and also a special diet. She told us that nothing could cure her at 100% and that she would still be in pain and tht even though she was under medication, she didn't give her long to live. She then told my mom that the best option to her was to put her down. She explained to us that keeping my cat alive while she was suffering wasn't a good solution and that it was better to let her go from all the pain now than later.

My cats health wasn't improving either, simply picking her up put her in pain.

I know that this is bad news, but now I know that my cat is feeling better, and I'm sure that it was the best solution.

Lucky Rescue
January 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry this poor cat suffered so. Yes, she is definitely better off where she is.:(

chico2
January 12th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Yes,it is very sad,but I suspected something was seriously wrong.
Don't bring another cat into the household unless everyone wants a cat in the house,maybe when you are out on your own you can get another cat.Cats have an uncanny feeling of knowing when they are not liked and it's not an ideal environment.