Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Milk what kind does everyone drink

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Just curious today I bought the wrong milk and I am most upset I cant drink it - that it was skim and its 2% yuck - What does everyone drink here.

Skim milk or fat free
1% just a little itty bitty bit of fat
2% getting more fat but still not to bad
homo or the real stuff
soy milk for me that stuff isnt meant for us humans

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
this poll thing is bit confusing - right now I am trying soy with my cereal but having a hard time with it. :D

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 11:01 PM
The poll's ok...

I drink 1% for a while, then 2% for a while and then go back... After a while 1% gets icky and after a while 2% tastes too creamy...

I hate soya milk. I've tried, but it's just gross.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Actually I put some soya milk in these super healthy carrot muffins theyve got soy protein powder in them - they were actually pretty good for a health muffin - super filling and healthy tasting if you like that kind of thing.

But its hard ot drink on its own its just sitting here getting my cereal all soggy - oh well dont need to eat any more today anyways. :D

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
lol "healthy tasting"...

***goes to the kitchen for another glass of chocolate milk***:D

glasslass
June 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
1%, but I like it with ice. Hubby calls fat-free "blue milk". When you're used to 1%, the real stuff is just too creamy. When I make custard or macaroni & cheese, I buy the real stuff because I like the way the dish turns out better. We're ice-creamaholics. The premium stuff is way too creamy. The ice-milk (I don't think it's called that anymore) seems so much colder than the premium stuff.

technodoll
June 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
1% just a little itty bitty bit of fat :cool: I wish i could get used to skim, but it's just too creepy (like chalky water!).

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM
:yuck: I love skim milk used to drink two until I meant hubby - then started reluctantly drinking skim - but now I love it - the other day I bought skim with protien and calcium added it tasted a bit more whole then regular skim.

2% or homo in the coffee for sure though - cant stand skim milk in coffee yuck

Shamrock
June 11th, 2006, 12:49 AM
1% only here. Tried to adust to skim, but just a little too anemic looking and tasting to me.;)

dtbmnec
June 11th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Always with the 2%.....1% tastes too wierd.....Homogenized wasn't too too bad....haven't tried any others....

I think that's about it for milk.......

and its not milk, its MOO-JUICE!!!!! Bow down to the moo-juice!

hehehe

Megan

Cinnabear
June 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM
If it was just me in my family it would be skim now. My family drinks 1%. We started at 2% but over the years went down to 1%.

In my tea it has to be the real thing 10% cream.;)

mesaana
June 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I drink 1%. I grew up on homo and it's been a long process (part of the whole healthy eating thing) to gradually go down to 2% and now to 1%. That's where it ends, though. I don't like "blue milk"!!!

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Used to drink 1%, which, I always thought is the ideal milk, because if you have to, you can drink skim or 2% without it being too big of a jump (whereas skim to 2% and vice versa is so drastic)
But then at about 15-16 I switched to skim because I spent my springs in Florida, and the girls I lived with all drank skim, so I got overruled. Haven't gone back since, except I alternate it with soy milk. The secret to soy is 1) find the right brand (some are disgusting) 2) drink vanilla (unless you're using it for savoury cooking, in which case use unsweetened plain) 3) find the right fat % and 4) shake it each time.

joeysmama
June 11th, 2006, 07:33 AM
My son drinks whole milk, my husband drinks Silk unsweetened soy milk and my daughter and I drink 8th Continent original flavor soy milk. But I shouldn't say "drink" because we don't drink it. We use it on cereal, over fruit, that sort of thing. And I use it in cooking. I keep half and half in the house also for the coffee.

I need a bigger refrigerator. All of that takes up the whole top shelf !!

jesse's mommy
June 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I drink skim. :o Other milk is too thick for me and I usually feel nauseous.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Boy,you guys,way tooo healthy!There is only one milk that goes with my double chocolate muffins and it's 3.25%.If they would make a 5% one,I would buy it!:p

jesse's mommy
June 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Frenchy you are too funny! I can't tell you how many times you have made me chuckle out loud.

Frenchy
June 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Ahh thanks Jesse's mommy!Not bad for a french girl right ? :cool:

SnowDancer
June 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Organic 2% Chocolate Milk. Can't tolerate white milk - never good. If chocolate is not organic can't tolerate it either. There is a company that makes a 3.8% fat Chocolate Milk which until about a year ago was great - tasted as chocolate milk did in 1950s. But the chocolate used to flavour the milk has apparently changed during past year - tastes sort of powdery. Lady at check-out asked me about this as her daughter had experienced same problem. Am better off with 2% of course. In a pinch I was mixing the 3.8 with 1% white but the awful chocolate taste came through.

rainbow
June 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
We drink skim milk. Hubby would prefer 1% or 2% but too bad for him. :evil:

We drink soy milk occassionally if it's on sale. I like the chocolate and strawberry ones the best on my cereal. I also tried an orange/mango one once that was pretty good (not on cereal though). :D

SarahLynn123
June 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Only skim/blue milk:p anything else tastes way to creamy, yuck!

jawert1
June 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I vary between skim milk and 8th Continent soy milk, since I'm not supposed to drink real milk period but can't take soy 100% of the time.

mummummum
June 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Boy,you guys,way tooo healthy!There is only one milk that goes with my double chocolate muffins and it's 3.25%.If they would make a 5% one,I would buy it!:p

But they DO Frenchy!!! Look for it beside the 10% coffee cream. On those rare occasions I buy milk it's organic unhomogeonized 3.something or other % - it's actually very good. But I'm with Frenchy on the % thing - when I allow myself to have coffee I "settle" for 10% but if 18% were on the table ...:crazy:

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Oh, I forgot, when I can get it, I drink those glass bottles of unskimmed organic milk in glass bottles.... It is so delicious. I find normal 1%, 2% and homo too creamy, but this is heaven (even though it is creamier than any of these). I have a friend who is mildly allergic (or alternatively, very intollerant) to milk, but she can drink this milk without any problems. I've also had some fantastic unpasteurized milk, but it's hard to get (it's technically illegal) and it gives me a rash.

glasslass
June 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
About 35 years ago, my mother-in-law introduced me to the very best coffee cream. She had a friend who owned a dairy and gave her a half-gallon of unpasteurized whole milk straight from the cow. In the refrigerator, the cream would rise to the top. A spoon of that thick cream was heaven in coffee.

erykah1310
June 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I drink 0.01% yup you read that one right! I wish i could drink 2% again!!! But since having my gallbladder taken out 5 years ago at the ripe ol age of 20 I cant!!
Nor can I enjoy Ice Cream, poutine, (any deep fried food) or BURGER KING!!!
Gotta love genetics sometimes huh?

Melei'sMom
June 12th, 2006, 01:35 AM
you don't have a choice for those of us who can't drink milk at all :(

I miss milk some days, but even a little makes me sick, as in ... was she drinking all night?... sick :sick:

Sunkist/Winnie
June 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I ended up drinking skim...not through any design, just it seemed that 2% tasted too creamy and then 1% tasted too creamy..so down to 1% I've gone.

I use 2% for baking/cooking.

Coffee cream is the only thing that will do in my coffee though, anything with less fat in it just doesn't give the coffe the consistency it needs.

jjgeonerd
June 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Where's the choice for heavy cream? :D

j/k (well, except for millk in coffee)...I drink 2%. I used to drink whole milk, but when I turned 30 I figured I should tone it down since I drink 2 large glasses a day. Luckily I have a hyper metabolism so no cholesterol problem. ;)

Frenchy
June 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
They make 5%????OMG,all these years I've been on 3.25%.I wont get too excited,I never seem to find anything here in my "village"!They only have 4 Pop Tarts flavor so...hum.

happycats
June 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
We drink "use" 1%

As for coffee, forget the cream, put whipped cream in it!! I's YUMMY mmmm mmmm, I think you would love it Frenchy!

mafiaprincess
June 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
As a kid we had 2% in high school my Mom switched to 1%. I'm lactose intolerant though so I don't drink milk really. Is't worth a lactaid pill, lol.

In university there was a chick who came from a dairy farm. Fridge in her room was always stocked with unpasturized 5% milk. People fawned over how amazign it was. All I could think about was how fattening it was.

jessi76
June 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I only buy whole milk. I don't drink glasses of any milk though. I use it for cooking, and my bf occassionally drinks it by the glass (only when I make cookies or brownies). I will only have either half n half, or light cream for my coffee though.

milk confuses me, I can never tell if it's still good. I'm constantly running to my bf ..."does this smell funny to you?"... I swear, it smells bad to me, even when it's good.

Puppyluv
June 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
want a sure fire way to tell if milk is bad? Heat a small amount to about 80 degrees (C). If it's bad, you will know. It will bubble and curdle and smell absolutely foul. (Had the pleasure of steaming a litre of bad milk yesterday.... ooohh my....:yuck: )

jessi76
June 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
want a sure fire way to tell if milk is bad? Heat a small amount to about 80 degrees (C). If it's bad, you will know. It will bubble and curdle and smell absolutely foul.

my bf keeps telling me "you'll KNOW if it's bad". ummm, even when it's technially "GOOD" milk, the smell sends me into a gagging/heaving fit. I don't want to heat up bad milk, good god, I'd be puking for weeks. I'll just take your word for it.

jjgeonerd
June 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
As for coffee, forget the cream, put whipped cream in it!! I's YUMMY mmmm mmmm, I think you would love it Frenchy!

ooooooh! I'm going to have to try that! http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif

Frenchy
June 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
HUmmmm.whipped cream.I knew it,I went to look for the 5% after work and couldn't find it.Another reason to move back to Montreal.....na!

Puppyluv
June 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Frenchy, the 5% "milk" is called "Light Cream". If your grocery store keeps creams and milks seperate, it will be with the creams.

AliSam
June 12th, 2006, 09:09 PM
We have 1% in our house. However, I have to put strawberry syrup in it to make it tolerable or chocolate milk.

Skryker
June 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
We have 2% for the kid. I can't really drink anything but the filtered stuff, though, so only occasionally indulge in milk on cereal or in tea. We used to buy the filtered kind only, but the price went up and I find it doesn't work for cooking-it won't thicken right for some reason:confused: . Soy milk is a no-no! Ky's mother had nothing but for the several years before Ky came to live with us, and the kid loathes it.

doggy lover
June 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I drink skim lactose free milk and no cheese or any other dairy product for me. :yuck:

raingirl
June 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM
We drink 1%, since a nutritionist I went to explained that skim is actually less healthy for you, and you can gain weight drinking it. They add extra sugar, yet most of the vitamins in milk are fat soluable, so you need a little fat to get the benefits of the milk.

Stacer
June 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
2% when I lived with my parents, skim when i went away to school, now i drink 1%. I'm a milk fiend, I love milk, in highschool that's pretty much all i drank. I don't drink as much now, but a tall glass of milk with dinner is the best and so refreshing.