Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Scratch question

Shamrock
June 10th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Earlier today, my himalayan Basil had a bout of diarreah, leaving his back-end fur a huge mess. ( luckily this doesnt happen often).:sick:

Sometimes a quick butt-bath is the only way to clean the area. This is something that naturally freaks him out... the introduction of water, and so I only do this when all else fails.

I unfortunatetly lost my grip while trying to get this accomplished and he grabbed my upper arm-hard. ( ouch!!)

He was impaled on my inner arm..his claws like fish-hooks that I could not remove from the skin. I yelled for hubby, who came to seperate us...

I now have 3 deep puncture wounds, which I washed off and put an antibiotic cream on.

I know from personal experience cat bites can quickly become infected, and treating the surface skin doesnt always work. I believe though that the claws should not pose any undue risk for infection.
Am I right in this assumption that this is nothing to worry about?

i've certainly had my share of cat scratches over the year, but just a bit worried as I have never had ones quite so deep, and hours later.. the area is very bruised and still sore.

Must be time for a nail trim for the poor little guy. Wished I'd thought of that first..;)

catsnatcher-CDN
June 10th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Since I have the CLSC on speed dial since dealing with stray cats, this is what they've said to me.

Does your cat have all its shots?
Is your cat an indoor cat?
Go to the clinic if an infection develops or if you're very worried.

They told me the worst that could happen is that I get cat scratch fever or an infection in that area.

They've never told me to rush right over :thumbs up

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I got a huge puncture from a cat clawing at the vet clinic I worked at. He pierced a tendon and a vein in my arm... Hurt like hell, but never had any issue with it.:)

Shamrock
June 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the info, catsnatcher-CDN, think everything will be fine.:)
Like many here, I've had plenty of wicked looking cat-scratches,bites too.
It was just the deepness of this that had me a bit concerned.

Yikes, Prin - what an awful sounding wound!:eek:
Cats are amazingly strong when they are frightened, arent they?

SnowDancer
June 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I would continue to treat as you have been and if wound worsens go to your doctor. I am constantly being bitten, scratched, knocked down the stairs, having cat jump on my head - he weighs 23 lbs. - once knocked head first into cat litter. I am also allergic to tetanus. My husband thinks that the cat is a cat "just being a cat". Funny it hasn't happened to him. My most recent disaster was when trying to apply is Transdermal ear gel - he really got me that time - funny, husband didn't offer to take over treatment. This is lifetime treatment - cat is now 16 - husband is out of twon for 5 days. I am dreading meds time. Hope your bite heals.