Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Water. Bottled, tap or filtered?

Shamrock
June 10th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Which do you use for your drinking water?

Do you believe that North American tap water is perfectly pure, find it good tasting and that water filtering systems and the huge bottled water industries are unncessary products?

Our water locally is said to be some of the best around, and I believe it to be perfectly safe. However, I use it for cooking, etc...but for drinking I use bottled only. It just tastes better to me.

Apparently, many drinking water providers throughout the country are taking real exception to the latest Britta commercial...that features a glass of tap water empting as a toliet flushes.
They claim this to be alarmist and misleading to the public, and believe an aplogy is in order.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=11ae4da1-25ee-4866-9709-67bfa0b22a89&k=33347

Frenchy
June 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I drink bottle water but only because the water from my well as a little after taste I don't really like.But I don't believe bottle water is better than tap water.Just a way to make $$$.

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Seems to me that brita commercial shows us more that good tap water is being flushed down the toilet daily..:(

I drink bottled mostly because it's easier (britas don't fit in our tiny fridge) and refilling them with tap water just doesn't taste the same. We only drink Evian (naive water lol) because it's the only one that doesn't have a flavor at room temp. You could cook it in the sun in the car and drink it while it's still warm and you won't taste anything.

I just don't find britas take the city flavor out of the water...

Under-sink filtration systems are better though. My dad installed one at his cottage to filter the lake water (a really crazy system) and that water is great.

Everything with a filter is useless though, if you don't change the filter often enough.

BusterBoo
June 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM
We have a well and when we moved into this house last year, we purchased the "cadillac" Culligan system. It's great as long as the salt and potasium levels are perfect.......

As for me, I drink the bottled water (Labrador) and that is all I give my dog. I use the tap water for cooking but never for drinking. Even with the culligan system, there is still a smell and taste that I don't like.

Puppyluv
June 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I drink bottled water (Fiji) but most of the the water I drink is sparkeling (san pelegrino). Growing up we had one of those triple-filtered systems that is in the basement and then leads to a tiny little tap next to the normal tap, which, although not very cold (but decently cool) was great tasting. Our "cabin" in the mountains uses spring water and it's really tasty.. no bottles there.
So for me its:
In Quebec: Bottled
In Alberta: Filtered
In BC: Tap

But I would never ever drink Naya water... the lake it comes from looks like this:

Naya Filtering plant
LAKE
Garbage Dump

:yuck:

jesse's mommy
June 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
We drink bottled water here and also use bottled water to cook with. Not to be gross or anything, but I always drank out of the tap until I had some "bacteria worms" appear in my fish tank. That sort of did it for me. :yuck:

BoxerRescueMTL
June 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I drink bottled water (Fiji) but most of the the water I drink is sparkeling (san pelegrino).
I ditto puppyluv :) But actually since we moved here we're on a well and I can drink the tap water. No aftertaste at all. When we lived in Brossard, I found our tap water tasted like chlorine and I couldn't drink it.

glasslass
June 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Our city water is likewise chlorinated soooo it's also bottled water for us. I use water from the tap for everything except drinking. I'm trying to drink more water. Every morning, I put 2 1/2-liter bottles in my canvas bag to take to work. It's easy to keep at my desk and sip it throughout the day. We also use a filter on our ice-maker. Otherwise, we can taste the chlorine in the ice cubes. Yuk!

meb999
June 10th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I drink bottled water (Fiji) but most of the the water I drink is sparkeling (san pelegrino).

I LOVE Fiji bottled water...but it's a little $$$ for me. I don't mind tap water, as long as it's cold. But like Prin, when I have to drink room temperature water (like when you go hiking, or when I'm at school), I prefer bottled.

mafiaprincess
June 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
We have a filtration system. I think bottled water tastes better, but I've gotten used to it.

I've read too many sketchy things lately. Was a Torstar article maybe 6 months ago on kids and cavities, the study they used was that a lack of flouride in children in areas with flourinated water, because they drank bottled water. Caused an outcry and some companies went to adding some flouride, but it made me think some..
And I've read in the past 3 months that all plastic bottles potentially leech into the pop, water etc if stored too long. Doesn't make me stop drinking anything from a plastic bottle, but it was intersting and scary.

technodoll
June 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM
we have a big brita jug in the fridge & the filter "tells" us when it has to be changed... works fine, the water tastes pretty good even if left at room temp on the counter for a couple of days (i tested!). Bottled water is for car trips and such (i don't like the idea of filling the garbage dumps with so much plastic...). Doggies drink tap water only, heck they drink out of oily mud puddles and green stinky lakes whenever they can so i'm not wasting bottled or filtered anything on them, LOL! :rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM
we drink bottled water - but I will use tap water for coffee - cooking and everything else even juice and ice cubes.

We recently had to boil our water for a few weeks as it was unsafe here but its ok now.

I really started liking those flavoured waters. :D

SnowDancer
June 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Bottled for drinking for us and the dog (actually no tear stains whatsoever on his white Eskie face since giving him bottled). I usually have Trinity as it is supposed to be alkaline and I am pure acid - or Evian. Husband and dog get different (cheaper) brands. Toronto tap for cooking. Don't like ice - ruins a good coke.

rainbow
June 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
We have well water and it is excellent so the only time I drink bottled is if we go somewhere and I can't even remember the last time that was. :eek:

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM
we drink bottled water - but I will use tap water for coffee
SInce coffee is 98% water, using filtered or bottled water for it will make a huge difference in the taste. You would be suprised how much better it will taste. (Sorry.. my coffee training is engrained now:o )

jawert1
June 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
The pups and I drink filtered here at home, tap at my parents (they have an amazing well). And Puppyluv, you're so dead on, better water = better coffee :)

erykah1310
June 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Drink tap here ( well water though) sometimes go down to the spring and get a few jugs for a change!

Melei'sMom
June 12th, 2006, 01:46 AM
used to drink only tap, didn't think it was worth the money to buy water.

Then one day when all my kids were sick with what I thought was the flu, a health offical called and started asking questions because alot of kids at the school where sick and the one thing that really scared me was that he asked a few times in different words if my kids drank tap water.

We bought a water cooler and an extra fridge for single serve bottles that day and my kids now have bottled water all the time.

We have moved from that town since, but I will never take that chance again. If it isn't boiled, tap water does not enter my childrens (dog too) mouths.

Rick C
June 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Well water . . . . . pumped from about 75 feet down. It goes through a filtering process. Very pure though.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jessi76
June 12th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Tap.

I have a well, the water is ok, but has lots of minerals in it, so we filter it. as soon as it has that aftertaste (sorta like I just licked a spoon - a very metalic taste) I know it's time to change the filter.

I drink bottled at work, since the water here has that chlorine taste. I don't particularly enjoy drinking a "pool".

my dog gets tap at home, but when traveling, he gets bottled. (or I bring along pre-filled jugs from home)

mastifflover
June 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I have been drinking bottled water for about 20 years now. I find the water in the city has an after taste. Yes better water better coffee, the dog gets tap water only because he drinks a ton and a ton goes on the floor.

jjgeonerd
June 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
We have a Brita pitcher that sits on the counter (I hate ice cold water). Works great...our tap water is from the Cascades, so it's good but the Brita makes it taste better.

I rarely drink bottled water because I hate using all the plastic bottles. Seems like such a waste...even if they're recycled. :( Besides, many would be surprised where bottled water comes from. When I lived in Reno there was a Crystal Springs plant downtown and that's where their water came from (not from a "crystal spring"). They had a 250' deep well right there. There's a huge TCE plume in downtown Reno. The water (along with all bottled water) is filtereed very well...I just always thought it was funny and a little misleading that their name was Crystal Spring.

AliSam
June 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
We have a water cooler with PC water in it.

CyberKitten
June 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I drink bottled water. As a child, I was given a biology set once for Xmas - with a great microscope and of course I placed the tap water on a slide. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I would later learn they were prob just typical organisims in the water but now when I look at water -- which is getting worse everywhere in North America - I see worse and I can ID the things and they are not benign!

That said, all bottled water is not equal tho I am no expert on the subject. And a hotel I often frequent privides free bottled water and it is OLD. Canada has insufficent labelling of what is in the water - anyone read the G&M series last week? (I just saw part of it - was busy with NS election)

So I like Perrier or a facsimilie therof (does not have to be brand name) and regular weter, like oxygenated stuff tho I am not that picky there either. Our water is actually pretty good here - Hfx area - but I spend time in northern NB where there often is a wtaer boil in effect. So, I am super cautious about water.

Not to mention that a minor organism can lead to worse and is esp not good for anyone with a weakened immune system like a child with cancer.

As an aside, I do hate how many bottled H20 cos say their water has no salt and when you look at the label, there is a tiny amt.

raingirl
June 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I drink tap water. I hate how filtered water and bottled water tastes. I have always drank tap water and always will.