Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat & Kitten Overload

Inverness
June 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue & its local no-kill pound have approximately 100 homeless cats and kittens at the moment. We find boxes full of kittens almost each day at the boarding kennel door or at the mailbox on the side of the road. If you like cats and even though you already have one or more, please, help us by adopting one. Not even an adult cat who could be a challenge to introduce to your family, just a cute and tiny little kitten who will fit in just fine. We have them in all patterns and colours.

This is never gonna end. People just don't get it - cats reproduce like crazy, and petshops sell them for 5$ to people who find it soooo cute to have a litter, just for fun. :sad:

Just a sample (I'll post more pics later):

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9554/img03915so.jpg

[http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6489/img04119cy.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4972/img04162xg.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8484/img04197ym.jpg

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
So cute! If the man wasn't so allergic... I hope this kitties get great parents.:fingerscr :fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN
June 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I wish I was heartless enough to drive to ottawa and drop off all the strays in their cat sanctuary. If the politician become overloaded with strays maybe they'll decide to pass a ****ing law!

chico2
June 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Beautiful little babies:love:facing a very uncertain future because of morons.
I've lived a looong time,but I'll never understand people,who care nothing at all about these little lives.
If I were any of you,I would have a breakdown dealing with this all the time:evil:

BoxerRescueMTL
June 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
We have them in all patterns and colours.
Do you have a very orange or orange and white shorthair? ;)

Inverness
June 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Do you have a very orange or orange and white shorthair? ;)

Of course we do. We have all colours. Either you come and pick one up or I'll deliver ! ;)

You really want an orange one, not a cream one, right ?

BoxerRescueMTL
June 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
You really want an orange one, not a cream one, right ?
Ya - I know it's silly but my "best friend" gorwing up was my orange cat, Boy George :) He passed away at 23 yrs old last year. I always said my next cat will be an orange one like Boy George! Right now I have 2 6 yr old grey/brown tabbies (brother and sister). I would even like an old/older cat but I don't think my cats would accept one.

Inverness
June 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Ya - I know it's silly but my "best friend" gorwing up was my orange cat, Boy George :) He passed away at 23 yrs old last year. I always said my next cat will be an orange one like Boy George! Right now I have 2 6 yr old grey/brown tabbies (brother and sister). I would even like an old/older cat but I don't think my cats would accept one.

OK ! Give me a couple of days and I'll deliver a Boy George (:p ) straight to your door ! :D

One adopted ! :thumbs up

Only 99 to go... :rolleyes:

mafiaprincess
June 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Awwww. You all rock. :thumbs up

dtbmnec
June 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I wish I could help more....but well my place just can't hold 3 cats....well unless we've somehow genetically engineered mini-cats or something....:crazy:

Oh I wish I could take them all home with me! Of course if I did that, then I wouldn't have a home left....Leo and Pawz are already eating me out of house and home as it is!

Oh I hope they all find good and happy homes!

Megan

chico2
June 11th, 2006, 06:49 AM
BoxerRescue,maybe 2,3... little Georges:D I'm joking of course,I know you have your hands full and your little George will be one lucky kitten:thumbs up

erykah1310
June 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Get the cat spayed? No way - they got it for free and aren't spending 100$ on something that has no value.
I hate when people say that, i hear it alot too, my friend has 3 female indoor cats, ALWAYS in heat!!!! I have a hard time going there to visit, cause it breaks my heart to see them rolling around on the floor and Meowling sooo loud in hopes to attract a mate! I have asked her a million times why she doesnt get them fixed, her reasoning is " they dont go out, so why bother and besides they were free, why pay 200 a cat to get fixed" http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/24.gif I have explained the health ( and sanity ) benifits for her cats but NO still nothing!!! Now she is trying to see if she can bring one of them to a shelter!?!?!?! She pees on EVERYTHING!! Im borderline dropping this friend ship!!
Sorry slight thread jack!!!

BoxerRescueMTL
June 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
OK ! Give me a couple of days and I'll deliver a Boy George ( ) straight to your door !
Perfect :D Yay! That's great actually - I could use a few days to get the spare room ready (we still have boxes in there :eek: ) and it'll give me a chance to get some cat toys etc. Maybe next weekend we can come get him to save you the drive? Anyhoo -I'll call you instead of taing up space here!! Yay!

poodletalk
June 12th, 2006, 06:32 AM
After you adopt your cute orange kitten, if you still need more of an "orange fix" we have a cute orange chow mix looking for a home. :) (see Vicky dogs available for adoption on pets.ca) She wouldn't mind if you call her Georgie instead of Vicky.:D

BoxerRescueMTL
June 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
LOL poodletalk!!! Vicky is a cutie pie though...and very orange!!! :crazy:

Inverness
June 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Oh Great ! Look what we just found this morning... :mad:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1825/adoptionsss5618jp.jpg

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
aw, thta sucks! If I weren't so darn allergic, I'd take the whole litter!!
:rolleyes: oooo, and then I could not spay or neuter any of them :eek: and drop 'em all off next year!! :eek:

lewisw
June 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I was at Sasha's Den last week when I went to get Dani and I saw the kittens some smaller then the palm of my hand. I could NOT believe that people could be so cruel as to leave them out like trash in parking lots. I think the worse was a rabbit cage filled with kittens.

Who knows maybe once Dani gets settled I'll adopt a kitten as well....
Better start working the idea on the mrs :)
Lewis

catsnatcher-CDN
June 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
:sad: :sad:

chico2
June 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
OMG,look at those poor little faces,just looking at them makes me cry:sad:poor babies,what did they do to deserve this...whatever happens to them,I am still glad you got them and they were not dumped in the woods to die.
I really,really hate people and I hope one day,there will be a price to pay for their cruelty,scum of the earth:mad:

Lucky Rescue
June 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I"ll send this pic to everyone I know.......maybe someone can help, although with the avalanche of kittens at this time of year, I'm not hopeful.:(

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
BTW Crystal...don't forget to post pics of your new Boy George! ;)

Frenchy
June 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
:eek: :mad: :sad: Unbelievebal.Some people....just dumping them on someone else like this.No donation,no thanks,no nothing.:mad:

chico2
June 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I was watching a program yesterday about the"Best Friends Sanctuary"in Utah,how about shipping all the 100+ kittens to them:confused: they get animals from all over the world.
I know that would not be possible,but it would be great if it was..
It's 7.000 acres of love for animals,any animal,a beautiful place,one day we'll go on holiday there and volonteer to work with the animals.

Inverness
June 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I was watching a program yesterday about the"Best Friends Sanctuary"in Utah,how about shipping all the 100+ kittens to them:confused: they get animals from all over the world.
I know that would not be possible,but it would be great if it was..
It's 7.000 acres of love for animals,any animal,a beautiful place,one day we'll go on holiday there and volonteer to work with the animals.

Funny you say that Chico. Best Friends Sanctuary is a dream place for any rescuer. I visit their website regularly and hope that one day...

Our "local pound" here is in fact a 100 acre sanctuary (and rehab center for wildlife) and the animals are happy there. But since this is not the US, we get no donations whatsoever and I am sure you can imagine what the costs of caring for all these animals are...

CyberKitten
June 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
OMG!! The pict of the kittens wanted to make me cry!!! Any meezers? (I know, I am picky - I really love ALL kitties but am searching for a blue pt. :) )

chico2
June 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Inverness,yes it seems like a dream-place,with wonderful people...I was especially touch by a braindamaged Siamese,plus the feral-kitty place,the wolves and practically everything about that place.
It was actually the first site I visited years ago when I got my PC.
For those of you who do not know this place go to www.bestfriends.com
What is going to happen to those 100+kittens,I send that pathetic sad picture to all my friends,but no go:sad:

cpietra16
June 15th, 2006, 08:25 PM
OMG....that picture of all those beautiful furry faces looking up....so innocent..they have no idea why this is happening to them...I hope you find a good home for them... I really think some people are just taking up too much breathing space:mad:

chico2
June 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
That picture should be on the front-page of every newspaper in Canada,advocating spay/neuter. Then again,people who care will already have done the right thing,to those who obviously don't care,that picture will not even touched them:evil:

badger
June 16th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Chico, it wouldn't work in Quebec, we have the hides of elephants when it comes to animal suffering.
A trolley piled high with euthanized cats might work. Hey-ho, all in a day's work...

Frenchy
June 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Chico2,thanks for that link!I went and see yesterday evening and couldn"t close my computer.Seeing all those older dogs up for adoption broke my heart,I didn't have time to look at the cats but will go back when I have more time.If I had a million dollars....

chico2
June 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Frenchy,although yes,most animals are up for adoption,many will stay for the rest of their lives,which is not always a bad thing,it's a beautiful place 150%geared for the animals welfare.
BF rescued hundreds after Katrina,of course a home and loving family is always the best,BF's is probably second best...no animal gets killed,unless beyond help.

Inverness
June 23rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Some new kittens who just arrived.

The city has decided to do a big clean-up and told the citizens to catch the stray cats and bring them in for euthanasia. Obviously, our mayor and her counselors are not the ones who would take those poor animals on their last trip. How could we ever, EVER take these babies to the vet to be pts ??? :mad:

Please help us find homes for them.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6489/chat334cy.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5471/chaton226mc.jpg

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7162/chaton339jo.jpg

Inverness
June 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
10 more... :(

these poor babies were covered in diarrhea and had a bath, which is why they are all wet on the pic...

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3849/img06268vn.jpg

moka4ever
June 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
i was up there last saturday and adopted a beautiful dobie x and i saw with my own very eyes how overwhelmed the kennel was with cats.....its such a shame that even in this day and age, people are far to ignorant to understand the reproduction cycle and how fast it works.

i can say one thing however, inverness and her crew do a splendid job and care a great deal for these loving creatures and are tireless in finding a home for every single one of them. i already have 4 cats at home plus my new cafe dog so im just about over the limit:( but i will do my part in spreading the word so all this new arrivals find a destiny which they all merit:fingerscr

lets keep the faith:)

rick

lewisw
June 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
How would you know if a kitten would get along with a dog ?
For example say I wanted to rescue a kitten how do I know Dani would accept her/him ?

I want to help if I can and even if it is one kitten....
Before I start working on my wife I am not sure how this would work as Dani is now a permanent part of our family.

Best
Lewis

BoxerRescueMTL
June 28th, 2006, 11:14 AM
It's not too hard, Lewis. Just takes training, and a few baby gates ;) Have a look at this article http://www.ncbr.org/info/dogs_and_cats.htm Maybe you'd like a cat over one year old so it would be less hyper, and Dani would have less urge to chase it.

Inverness
June 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
That's an easy one Lewis ! You saw the kind of setting we have when you came to meet Dani. The cats walk around and go and say hi to the dogs all the time. Dani didn't care about them at all. We can simply pick a kitten we know to be unafraid of dogs and tadada ! ;)

How about this one ?

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/7769/chaton334ml.jpg

lewisw
June 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Inverness,
You are so right I remember now but then again Dani was not herself :)
If you met ehr today you would not recognize her how playful she is !!!

BoxerRescueMTL I will read the link you sent and I will speak to my wife tonight :)

chico2
June 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Lewis,you definetly need a kitty to complete the family;)

Inverness,Rick was full of praise for your work and that goes double for me,although I have never met you.
All these kittens:sad: how on earth are they all going to find a home:confused:
My vet always have kittens from HS for adoption and they never stay very long,can't you get that kind of help too??
Many people who have just one cat and never planned on having more,often cannot resist these little cuties,then realize the more the merrier.

Inverness
June 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Inverness,Rick was full of praise for your work and that goes double for me,although I have never met you.

Thank you.

All these kittens:sad: how on earth are they all going to find a home:confused:

Many people tell us to have them euthanized. I don't know where they will all go. We don't want to have them killed, they're just innocent little creatures. But we have so many, I have about 40 under my care and the boarding kennel and pound has over 100. This is totally insane.

My vet always have kittens from HS for adoption and they never stay very long,can't you get that kind of help too??

I've done that before. I will ask my vet if he would be up to it again. Thanks for reminding me.

badger
June 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I wonder if shelters in Ontario would be willing to take a few. Then all you'd need to organize is transport, which shouldn't be too difficult.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 29th, 2006, 05:00 AM
What about the states? Someone had once mentioned they don't usually have cats in shelters.

chico2
June 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I wish you could find a cat-friendly reporter,to show this Kitten-Emergency,either on TV or in the newspaper.I can't see how anybody could resist these little beauties,not wanting to help out.
After all,this is a problem caused by ignorant humans,not the poor kitties.
In my dreams:sad: money would be pouring in from everywhere,the kittens would all go to wonderful homes here and in the US.
Every vet in Canada would take a bunch of kittens to adopt out:thumbs up

lewisw
June 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Inverness,
Have you thought about contacting global tv and inviting them to see what is going on ?

They often due reporting on such things that involve the community ?

Best,
Lewis

scuba0095
July 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Hello In i just lost my old male cat (10 years old) and have been thinking of getting another cat as a pet. ANyways how far are you from kingston? or is that out of the question ? please let me know!~ I am looking for my dream cat/kitten since i have never been able to choose before (they always choose me)

badger
July 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Get thee to petfinder.com, the choice is endless. Let us know who you fancy!

Prin
July 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
lol very poetic, Badger. :D

Good luck, Scuba. I'm sure you'll find a new kitty soon on petfinder.:)

Origamiboy_x
July 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hi! I see the first pic of the thread appears to be a russian blue kitten. Would you have any more like him or her?:)

Thanks!

Thomas

Inverness
July 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Hi! I see the first pic of the thread appears to be a russian blue kitten. Would you have any more like him or her?:)

Thanks!

Thomas

He's just a plain old domestic cat. ;)

And yes, I believe there might be a few blue kittens still. PM me if you are interested. :thumbs up

Breezer
March 24th, 2007, 10:22 PM
OMG what is wrong with people!:evil: These people can not have a heart.:eek:

Seeing those precious faces, it breaks mine and makes me sad. I hope they find good homes.

:offtopic: Where is Rawdon? I'm originally from Pierrefonds Quebec; Mom and older brothers are still there. I am now residing in Kingston ON for last 7 years.

:fingerscr for those poor babies to find homes.

cpietra16
March 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM
That post is over 8 months old...and knowing Inverness, she probably did everything in her power to find homes...but I'm sure she'll get more this year:sad:

CyberKitten
March 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I read this too and did not note the time till now. Poor kittens!!!! I hope they found good homes!!! I can;'t believe ppl are so stupid tho from what I see, I suppose I can, sigh!!!! Between Free to "Good" Home ads and idiots who breed their cats who do so by omission (ie do not spay or neuter), this is what we get. That picture of those kittens from last spring should run in some newspaper!! This is what happens to your kittens!!

Gawd, it seems so hopeless sometimes!

clm
March 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm so afraid that the strays around here will have little bundles of joy bouncing around.....another stray appeared out of nowhere today and he's/she is a mess.....getting lots of good food now though :D

We need to push governments to make it manditory to spay or neuter pets unless you have a licenced kennel or cattery. Hefty fine to those who don't. Fine procedes to go to rescue clubs of course.

Cindy

chico2
March 26th, 2007, 07:01 AM
CLM,a friend of mine,who lives in Mississauga and has 5 cats,told me a new no-kill shelter was to open there soon,hopefully very soon:fingerscr
There will no doubt be many new poor little babies this spring:sad:
Thank's for making sure some at least get food in their bellies:thumbs up

Rainy
March 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
:offtopic: Where is Rawdon? I'm originally from Pierrefonds Quebec; Mom and older brothers are still there. I am now residing in Kingston ON for last 7 years.

:fingerscr for those poor babies to find homes.
To answer your question.Rawdon is about an hour North of Pierrefonds.

CyberKitten
March 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
That picture of those kittens wet after their bath is heartbreaking - wonderful iin that someone (Inverness et al ) care for them but that they should be in that situation at all. I just can't get past it some days!!! Then I remind myself of as line from an old Jewish newspaper my grandfather read that said "Don't mourn, organize!"

ruoo27
April 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
is there any kittens left? if yes, do u have any white kittten???:)

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I think you'd better check www.petfinder.com .. This thread is almost a year old. Petfinder would be more current.

poodletalk
April 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
[s there any kittens left? if yes, do u have any white kittten???
[/QUOTE]

Check out the SPCA Monteregie, they have alot of beautiful cats and kittens.
Not all their animals is on their website though. www.spcamonteregie.com

Breezer
May 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
To answer your question.Rawdon is about an hour North of Pierrefonds.

:offtopic: Thanks for letting me know the answer to my question!:)

breezer

ellendar
August 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
at first they were hissy ,frightened and biting at me their feral Mother ran away when I rescued them from the backroom shelf where they were born, these were originally five kittens she let one die, apparently, I crated these babies up and started out with a syringe with no needle to squirt water down their throats four or five times a day and stuff q tips with canned cat food on the end into their mouths being careful not to let them ingest any cotton later they accepted it off a gloved finger at first I could only pick them up with mitted pot holders the thick kind they bite.
I now have a trap which I bought from e bay reasonably priced to try and capture the Mom cat game plan is catch her get the county shelter vet to spay her for $55.00 and then bring her back and release her so she can eat off my porch as usual. The kittens were later confined to my bathroom where they learned to drink water from a bowl and use the litter box and eat canned cat food from a plate, now they have the run of the house with the catbox in the front hallway, they purr when picked up and s arethey are completely socialized they do not know they were ever wild kittens, they don't want to be feral doors are closed off so they cannot go to the outside just yet, we don't want them in the street or near the dog.
The feral Mom has visited them a few times but her main interest is in stealing their food and getting them to follow her off to go wild with her so we have locked her out of our upstairs where these kittens are at.
Now we need homes for them or else we must get them altered and just keep them ourselves.
:crazy: :candle: :lightbulb: :cry: :party:

chico2
August 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
It seems to me you are doing a great job with these babies and mom,hopefully you can catch her:pray:
She would have a much safer and healthier life if you are able to get her spayed,also no more feral kittens:cat:
Good Luck!!
If you can post some pics of the kittens and mom,please do,we love pics!