Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rhode Island says spay it or pay it

heidiho
June 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (AP) -- Gov. Don Carcieri signed a law Friday making Rhode Island the first state to require cat owners to spay or neuter their pets.

Cat owners must spay or neuter pets older than six months unless they pay $100 for a breeder's license. Violators can be fined $75 per month.

"By signing this legislation today, we are taking the necessary steps to reduce the number of impounded cats that are euthanized in cities and towns throughout the state," Carcieri said in a written statement.

The law would also save money by cutting down on housing and feeding costs at city shelters, he added.

Private shelters and municipal pounds in Rhode Island killed about 1,600 strays in 2004, the most current figure available, according to the state Department of Environmental Management.

Some animal-rights advocates worried that the bill could lead cat owners to abandon their pets rather than risk a fine or pay for the procedures.

Under the law, low-income pet owners would be eligible for subsidies for low-cost surgery. Farmers are exempt.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Yey!!!!!!:highfive:

Puppyluv
June 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Yay!!!! Though how much is spaying/neutering there? It would be best if it's under $100, so the cheap-asses don't deside to opt for the breeder's license :evil:

joeysmama
June 10th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know about Rhode Island but here in NJ the costs vary widely. The first vet we took Cooper to was an old time country vet and his cost for neutering ws 100 dollars. He works alone so we felt more comfortable taking him to a different vet for his neutering, just because we wanted an assistant available, that sort of thing. The cost was $250. Another vet charges almost $300. That's a huge difference to me. Between 100 and 300 dollars.

But the first vet told us that there is an organization called Friends of Animals that will spay or neuter your pet for 50 dollars. He tells all his patients (well, his patients human friends;) ) about it because he would rather see the pet taken of than pocket the money himself.

I think this is great news. Yay for Gov. Carcieri !!

I agree that he cheapos will take the lest expensive route so hopefully the cost will be affordable enough to encourage the intent of the legislation. And hopefully it will make people think twice before they pick up a kitty on a whim. (Like a candy bar at the cash register. Sadly some people don't put anymore thought into it than that.:rolleyes: )

dtbmnec
June 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM
The actual neutering from my vet is going to be 200 bucks....plus all the other extras (fluids, microchipping, etc.) which can add up to 400 bucks!

*sigh* I'm so screwed..

Megan

catsnatcher-CDN
June 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
now if only the rest of north america could take an example.

I think 100$ for a breeding license is too cheap!

Our politician in my district publicly implied that neutering stray cats is as logical as neutering mice. (I forgot his name.)

rainbow
June 10th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Three cheers for Governor Carcieri :highfive:

I also think the breeders licence should be at least $300 and it sure would be nice if we could make this a law right across North America.

Frenchy
June 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
dtbmnec,did you shop around?Maybe you could find another vet who could do it for less?Or maybe wait for microchipping,if your animal has already a license tag.

mastifflover
June 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Great idea imagine that if we had a politician who had a brain we could have laws like this too. I think it should go for dogs as well. Yes, that is too cheap for a breeders license. Most places have spay/neuter clinics set up a couple of times a year. It can be expensive but it is cheapest when they are still young.

rainbow
June 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I just re-read this and was wondering if, by posting the article here, we are redistributing it?

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Esaunders
June 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
The actual neutering from my vet is going to be 200 bucks....plus all the other extras (fluids, microchipping, etc.) which can add up to 400 bucks!

*sigh* I'm so screwed..

Megan
Call the Mississauga Spay/Neuter clinic, they are EXTREMELY reasonable for price and don't add in a bunch of price bulking extras.

It'll be well worth the trip from Hamilton.