Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogsitting my friend's dog for the weekend...Advice Please!!

crazyk1020
June 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hello all, I just am looking for some advice on this up coming weekend plus anything I need to watch for. I told my friend that I would dog sit for her this weekend. She has a 1 year old choc lab Maya. I am just wondering on how to make this weekend the least stressful on both Maya, and my two cats. My cats have litterboxes that are down in the basement which I plan on gating off so Maya can't get down there but they still can. My boys are use to eating in the kitchen and two times a day with some dry here and there, should I move their food into the basement too? I think Maya may be coming with a crate of her own for me to use, but I am not sure. I haven't had a house dog before. My friend said she was housetrained, but because of the stress of being away from home should I be anticipating her needing to go out every so often or do I wait for her to let me know? Should I feed her somewhere away from the cats? Maya has never been around cats before, but my boys where around dogs when they were in their foster home about 9 months ago and they were okay with them...not happy with them but okay. I am just looking for any info anyone can give me to make this weekend go okay for both the cats and Maya. My friend offered to leave Maya locked up at home and then I could come out twice a day and let her out, but I just couldn't leave her there all by herself, I would have felt awful :( ! Oh and by the way Maya is social with other dogs, I don't know if this makes a difference or not with cats. She goes to daycare with my friend's daughter at her grandma's house and she has three other dogs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Prin
June 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
You definitely need a place where the cats can get away from the dog for a break... It might be better to have a test run to see if she can really tolerate the cats. Some dogs just chase cats to death and never leave them alone. Better to know now than when your friend is already gone.

For going out, I'd start with every 4 hours or so and then decide if she needs more or less.. She might not ask in a strange house.

For feeding, if this is a normal lab, you shouldn't have to worry. Labs are pretty good with food...

Make sure you discuss with your friend what to do in case of an emergency. Where to go, who to call, how much to spend...

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I would keep the cats downstairs completely while you are dog sitting. I looked after my vets two dogs for a weekend once. I still did that even though her dogs were used to her cats and my cats were used to my dogs.

I know for a fact that my dogs would chase a strange cat so I definitely would not want to take any chances. :pawprint: