Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

big problem neighbours called the council on us- DOG BARKING

odyssey23
June 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Hi i have a big problem...

we rescued a marrema sheepdog, 2 months ago she was 10months old and had no good training. She barks constantly day & NIGHT... at the sky, other dogs, the fence... i spend time with her (not as much as i'd like)..

She wont listen to her name properly, she will stop for a little bit when you go to the back door and either call her and make her sit or squirt her with a water bottle.

BUT even with my efforts the neighbours have called the council on us and we have recieved a warning.... ALSO i tried and ultrasonic collar on her... nothing not even a reduction....

I know this sound bad but i need a quick fix before i am forced to remove her Crying or Very sad

PLEASE HELP :sad:

Lucky Rescue
June 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM
These are not dogs who can be left in a yard. They are guarding dogs who must have a job and yours would be better off in a working home. The rescue that gave you this dog was not being very responsible.

IS A MAREMMA SUITABLE AS A FAMILY PET?
The Maremma Sheepdog Club of America does NOT recommend the Maremma as a pet. The Maremma actually never considers itself a 'pet'. It is a working dog, with 2000 years of genetic background of livestock guardianship behind it, and it needs a job to keep it occupied. If it is to be in the house with a family, it must be temperament-tested and heavily socialized from the time it is a small puppy. A puppy should be outgoing and friendly with everyone, but its rowdy behavior needs controlling; after all, a 10 month old puppy may weigh 100 pounds! It must also get used to meeting strangers. By the time it is two years old, it will be less outgoing with strangers, and may even decide it doesn't want ANY stranger to touch it, its master, or its property. To limit this future possessiveness, you must get your dog used to being handled by many friendly strangers when it is very young, and KEEP AT IT. But even then, you must personally introduce your dog to all new strangers who enter its territory (your home and property), and you may have to be present each time that they return.

LavenderRott
June 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Lucky is right. While very cute and cuddly pups, this breed still works for a living. Young puppies are usually intergrated into a flock of sheep at a young age and that is where they live their lives. They bond to the flock and will do anything to protect it from predators. A good Maremma is worth it's weight in gold to someone who has sheep.

As a working breed, your dog is barking because it is BORED.

My best suggestion would be to find someone who has sheep and would like a dog to take care of the flock.

Lucky Rescue
June 9th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I don't know where you live, but the best thing to do would be to contact a Maremma rescue. Here are some, and contact them even if they aren't in your area.

Northern Maremma Breed Association
Independent Rescue - Pennsylvania
Laura Tarbet
Email: springsberry@pa.net

Independent Maremma Rescue - Illinois
Laura Steenburg
Lake Barrington, IL 60010, USA
Email: MaremmaRescue@aol.com

Independent Rescue - Georgia
Elizabeth Mihalcik - 229-243-1532
Bainbridge, Georgia

The barking is not going to stop. Your dog is just a pup, and has the potential to become very aggressive at maturity without a knowledgeable and experienced owner and/or a job.

Puppyluv
June 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with Lucky, this dog nereds a home where it can work as he was meant to. Until this can happen, you need to up the exercise. This breed needs space - mentally as well as physically. A short walk around the block three times a day is not enough for this dog. Long and alternating walks are necessary. It must have frequent opportunities to run free. When it gets enough freedom and space, it will be quiet in the house.