Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

closing old threads?

phoenix
June 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Marko and everyone,

What do you think about closing old threads down??

I've noticed that often, frustratingly, people (usually newbies, so probably just out of misunderstanding) post advice to threads that are over a year old. The OP is often not even visiting anymore, and certainly most problems would already be solved in any event.

If old threads were closed, then individuals could still search and read them for help, and they could still refer to them in a new post where they explained their own problem or viewpoint, but we all wouldn't have to reread an outdated post before realizing... hey, this is from 2004!

Just a thought...

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I don't think they should be closed per se, as old threads can often provide helpful information. If a newbie (or anyone else) posts in an old thread, what's the harm? All one of us has to do is politely comment that the thread is old and that if they have a question, they should start a new thread.
If it really bothers people, maybe we could set up an "archives" forum, with its own search function, so that people know that they are looking at old threads, without having to look at the date (Sometimes, I even mess up the date, because I look at the date that the member joined, rather than the date of the post, which usually makes me think a thread is something like 4 years old, when really it's 2 days old :D )

jessi76
June 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM
good thinkin phoenix!
I second that idea!

badger
June 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I definitely think posts older than say, two months, should be archived as read-only. It's a drag to have the story line suddenly disappear, particularly if the OP hasn't come back and given us the good/bad news. Kinda feel taken in...

phoenix
June 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
puppyluv let me clarify

I don't think they should be closed per se, as old threads can often provide helpful information. If a newbie (or anyone else) posts in an old thread, what's the harm? All one of us has to do is politely comment that the thread is old and that if they have a question, they should start a new thread.

closed doesn't mean erased, I meant archived... so you could still go read them if you want, or look back to see who said what... but you just couldn't post in them. That way, we wouldn't have to keep commenting to people to start their own threads, they would just do that.

If it really bothers people, maybe we could set up an "archives" forum, with its own search function, so that people know that they are looking at old threads, without having to look at the date (Sometimes, I even mess up the date, because I look at the date that the member joined, rather than the date of the post, which usually makes me think a thread is something like 4 years old, when really it's 2 days old :D )

i don't think it would have to be a separate search.

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I definitely think posts older than say, two months, should be archived as read-only.
Then again...it's kinda nice (especially in the rescue forums) when you get updates. They are often posted on their original threads so you know what they are talking about...example : http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=251121#post251121

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I think that most of the ones that are dug up are still pretty current ones though, problems that a lot of people have. And why start another thread if there is already one out there on exactly the same topic?

I don't know.. You just can't have everything. You can't tell people to search the forum instead of posting a new thread, but then complain that they revived an old thread. :confused:
Like here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27465
If Benny searched and had more questions, where would he have posted them? He gets criticized for posting a new thread and now he'd be criticized for reviving the old too??

jesse's mommy
June 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I don't think it's a big deal at all for us to politely put in a note. In any case, I've noticed the mods have separated the threads into new threads if it's needed. I remember reading a few months ago (can't remember what it was about), but a newbie was trying to get in touch with the OP who had not been on in a few years and somehow the OP was contacted and came back with responses to the newbie. I'm not sure how it happened, but I do remember it was a big help to whoever it was. Does anyone else remember this? I'm too tired right now to think too much. Maybe my brain will work better after a nap. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the way it is now. Newbies responding to old posts with advice doesn't seem to happen too often so I think there are enough of us regulars here to help out. Besides sometimes it's fun to see old threads revived and that couldn't happen if they were archived as read only.

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I remember that. If the OP subscribed to the post, they get an email alerting them when somebody replies to their thread.

Jackie467
June 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I like it the way it is now because then if someone wanted to add some advice they can because it may be a completely different approch to the subject. This way when someone does a search for something they get the thread and see all the differing advice. I'm not sure if that made sense, it's very hard to explain in writing, would be easier in words lol.

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Jesse's mommy, I don't knosw if it's the one you're thinking of, but it did happen where someone (new) was trying to locate luba and it worked.
I think the prob with closing old threads is where do you draw the line? how old is too old? it changes with different topics, and would be hard to decide.

phoenix
June 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM
ok whatever, i thought it would make the board easier to deal with... personally it bugs me, but it really isn't a huge deal.

I don't know.. You just can't have everything. You can't tell people to search the forum instead of posting a new thread, but then complain that they revived an old thread. :confused:
Like here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27465
If Benny searched and had more questions, where would he have posted them? He gets criticized for posting a new thread and now he'd be criticized for reviving the old too??

who told you i can't have everything :crazy: lol.

i wasn't criticizing benny, i thought i was helping him/her... oh well. the idea was, if you have a question that's so generic that tons of people have asked already, it seems a waste to post a whole new thread and have people respond, again and again. when i have a question, i always search first to see if i can find the answer, then if i can't then i start a new thread. it's really not that complicated a system...

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
lol I'm glad you took that well... I realized I was a bit irritable when I posted that (I've since had a lot of candy, so I'm ok).

The thing that I've realized with pets is that even if the answer is right there, people still want an answer tailored to their particular animal. It's like, "ok, so that worked for you and your white kitty, but my kitty has black hair, are you sure it's the same for mine?" (only less obvious)

mummummum
June 11th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I can't remember what I got as a "welcome wagon" file...help Mods? If it isn't in the "welcome wagon" file maybe some basics like using "search", checking dates, how to post pix etc. could be included.

Prin
June 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
What's a "welcome wagon file"?:o

rainbow
June 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I don't remember getting one of those either. :sad: