Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rawhides- safer alternatives?

Mahealani770
June 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hello friends!
I had no idea that rawhides were bad for dogs, until I read what Tenderfoot told Bulmastiff. I guess they get wet and can stick to the stomach lining where it takes surgery to remove sometimes? Eek! I can't believe that something that potentially dangerous is even sold.
Now, I've given my dogs rawhides since forever and never had a problem but I certainly don't want any in the future either. Nicky does not like stuffed animals, is not impressed with Kongs, and will not chase balls. Rawhide bones are the only things that he enjoys and will chew on for more than 15 mins. So, can you Tenderfoot, or anyone else give me some suggestions for chew toys or other toys that will keep Nicky busy?
Thanks!
Mahealani

tenderfoot
June 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Now it might be that he could eat rawhides for 20 years and never have a problem. but more surgeries are done to remove rawhides than you can imagine. I do think they should be outlawed - extreme but its how I feel.

There is compressed rawhide which is digestable but he will tear through it pretty quickly. It breaks up into much tinier pieces and don't get stuck. You could give that a try.

We like bully sticks to SHARE with our dog. We hold it while he chews - when it gets down to about 3 inches then we take it away so he can't swallow that chunk.

Our dogs are extremely destructive chewers and we could never afford all of the expensive toys and bones it would take to keep them chew happy. I think our guys should be the testers for most dog toy companies. :p

So for us it is the tried and true natural bone. Each one is unique to them, starts out being full of good nutrition and ends up being a bone that lasts for years. It is best to introduce them slowly because the nutrition is so rich.