Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagles

kspj2
June 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Anyone own a Beagles? Tell me about them.

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
IMHO... Beagles are not for the first time dog owner. They require a lot of exercise and stimulation. They are scent driven so will take off on a dime. They are constantly tracking and looking for a way out.. so very secure yard needed. Not many beagles can go off leash and be trusted to recall effectively. This being said... they are lovable creatures.. oh.. did I mention the baying? hehehe

Seriously though.. they are nice dogs just do research research research before getting one. Too many end up being dumped at shelters.

lpn169
June 9th, 2006, 12:53 AM
We have one. She is very loveable to evryone, and everything. She is also an escape artist, stubborn, and beys constantly, lol Hey other than that, she is perfect, lol

we3beagles
June 10th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I have 3 of my own and a foster right now. I volunteer for the Calgary chapter of beaglepaws out of Newfoundland. Beagles really need to have a pack. Most of them are a lot happier with another dog or if they have a family member with them most of the time. They are pretty average for needing exercise ( a good walk a day) and love nothing more than to snuggle in for the evening after a good walk and watch a movie. These traits are for beagles 2 and older. Beagle puppies are: destructive, stubborn, willful, and will test you patience to the limit. Mine have eaten or destroyed the following (not by any means a complete list): ladies safety razor, 3 square feet of my kitchen linoleum, 1 square foot of drywall out of the pantry, phone cords, too many heating pads to count, and a screen door.

but.... the rewards far outweigh the bad traits. They are loyal, loving, snuggly, little balls of wonderfulness. I just never want another puppy full time. Overnight and a few days at a time get me past the need for a squirmy puppy (oooops here I go again) when I have a baby foster. I love that new puppy smell though (when they aren't peeing on your housecoat).

They are definitly my favorite breed.:)