Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worms cured by vet but seen?

maggiemay
June 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi,
I took my dog in to the vet and they gave her medicine for worms a few weeks ago. They other day i saw what looked to be worms in her feces but they werent moving or anything. She is constantly trying to lick her rear (which is quite hilarious at times lol). Is it possible that she still has worms after being treated and should i take her back in to the vet? Or would the dead worms be passing? thanks!

doggy lover
June 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I would take another stool sample to the vet to check again. It sounds like your dog still has worms.

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Depends on what you wormed with. Not all wormers do every type of worm. Regular worming with a more broad spectrum wormer is always recommended and depending on the age of the dog could be more frequently needed than once per month. Worms cycle so not every worm is killed or forced out with one worming, can take several. Suggest you go back to the vet's.

maggiemay
June 8th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I found out from my vet that maggie actually has tapeworms, which is not the worms that they treated her for. I am going to the vet now. Thanks for your help!!

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Make sure you get a dose for your other dog too as now it's been exposed!