Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

number of times to feed dogs a day?

maggiemay
June 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Hi,
I have two dogs one of which is 6 months the other is 4 months, one being a medium and the other a larger breed. I wanted to be efficient in food but make sure that they are getting all that they need. If someone could let me know how many times i should feed my two dogs a day that would be great. Right now i feed them once in the morning and once at night but i think that they are still hungry... thanks.

SarahLynn123
June 8th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I feed my dogs 3 times a day, morning, lunch and dinner. You may have a dog like mine though, always acts like she's starving!

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I would feed them three times a day. If they are not gaining or losing weight, I would keep the same volume of food and just split it between the three meals. Some dogs (mine included) are "always hungry" in that, no matter what time of day, even right after a meal, if you give them something to eat, they will eat it in a second. This doesn't have anything to do with the need for more food at the time. If however, your dog is losing weight, and lacking energy, I would increase the volume of food fed over the day. What food are you feeding and how much at a time? You will need less of a higher quality food, than a lower quality food each day.

rainbow
June 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
A 4 month and 6 month old puppy should be fed three times a day. :pawprint:

JessXx
June 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM
We feed Shyla and Pepper 1 to two times per day. Shyla is about 4 and pepper is about 6.
Your Dogs should both be fed about 3 times a day and maybe a small snack in the middle of the day... and of course always watered. ;) cpngrats on your two little balls of joy.