Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dani is home BUT very very quiet.

lewisw
June 8th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Good morning all,
First of all I'm hoping that I am posting in the correct forum if not I apologize.

If you did see earlier I adopted Dani a golden retreiver border collie mix. The cutest little girl you ever saw ...

I picked her up yesterday as she had her sterilization operation on Tuesday afternoon so this morning is almost a day and a half later.

What I am not sure about is she is so quiet she just lies in the same spot and looks sad unless I put on her leash and take her for a slow walk .

I'm wondering if it is due to the anesthesea or is it more likely she needs to get used to being in a new environmenet ? I''m guessing if I was abandended then operated on I would be sad as well.

What do you all think as I'm sad when she is sad , I want her to be happy and realize she is loved by all of us in her new forever home ?

Also she has not pooped since I picked her up yesterday at 4:00pm so I am also not sure when this is a problem and I should take her to my vet ? She has been eating but not much so this could be why no poop ? She pees no problem when we take her out for a walk.

I snapped this picture this morning on my way to work ...

http://www.atozfitness.com/dani34.jpg

I hope anyone who has experienced what I am experieincing or if you have any ideas please let me know.

Sincerely,
Lewis

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
What seems like sadness may just be lingering effects of the anesthetic. Constipation and lack of appetite are not unusual either.

If she doesn't go soon, add a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling!) to her food.

Just make sure she's not bothering her incision, and that it's not very swollen, red or oozy.

Just keep her on a schedule of feeding, walking etc until she feels she's "home". It won't take long!!:)

lewisw
June 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM
What seems like sadness may just be lingering effects of the anesthetic. Constipation and lack of appetite are not unusual either.

If she doesn't go soon, add a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling!) to her food.

Just make sure she's not bothering her incision, and that it's not very swollen, red or oozy.

Just keep her on a schedule of feeding, walking etc until she feels she's "home". It won't take long!!:)

THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!! I know I only have Dani since yesterday and met her only on Sunday but this is the way I am I get attached instantly and I am so worried about her.

Mind you my son just called me and told me she went for a walk with him and he told me she was walking fast he needed to walk fast to keep up to her and her tail was wagging ... For me it was a slow walk and she stayed by my side all the time. well I will keep you posted but I have already booked an apt with the vet in 10 days to remove her stictches and give her all her shots... .

chico2
June 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Lewis,so glad she's home...just give her lots of loving,she'll soon realize she's got a home and is one very lucky doggie.
I think anyone,even people has problems pooping after surgery and like Lucky says,helping her out with a little pumpkin is a good idea.
She has such a wonderful sweet face,please keep us posted:love:

doggy lover
June 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM
She is so sweet, I think it will just take time for her to get adjusted. Just think of all she has been through in the last few days. I think once she settles in she will be fine. With a border collie in there she will be a handful in no time.LOL:D

lewisw
June 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi all and thanks for your great posts ...

I Just made an apt for Dani to get her stcihes removed and her shots on Friday June.16th .

They told me since she was fasted for the operation it is normal not to poop BUT if she does not poop by Saturday to bring her in to be checked.

Lewis

Caite
June 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Just give it a bit of time... when I adopted my two guys, one took to me right away and the other moped around and looked horribly sad. Eventually, he started taking a liking to my husband and now he's more attached to me! It took a few months for him to really open up and he's still doing new things. I have heard that it takes up to six months for an adopted dog to really feel comfortable and be carefree in a new home. Good luck and know that your pup will be a tail waggin machine in no time!

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Agree with Caite.

When I got my greyhound foster, I was devasted when he spent 24 hours lying curled in a ball in front of the door, looking so pitiful.

By the next week, I was WISHING he would curl up again and be quiet, and he was 5 yrs old.

Soon you'll posting here asking us how to calm her down or wear her out.:p

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I agree. When we got Boo, we thought his tail was broken because he just never wagged. After about a month, his wagger was normal.

She just needs time to settle in (and for the anaesthesia to wear off).

lewisw
June 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Good news all ,
Dani pooped yesterday twice so I am so relieved.

This morning after we woke up as I was typing on the computer Dani came downstairs on her own lay down next to me and put her nose on my foot I was so exstatic I almost cried ....

I am notincing ever so slowly her tail is starting to wag when I call her and this morning also I put her two paws on my shoulder to tickle her and she started to kiss my nose a first !!!!

I also figured out something since we don;t know Dani's history she must have NOT been allowed on a couch as I came out of my shower this morning and was looking for her. I found her on the couch in the living room but when I came around to pat her and she saw that I found her on the couch she jumped down and started to run away.

Well I fixed that problem I picked her up and put her back on the couch and petted her for about 10 minutes . After that I sat on the opposite couch to make sure she was okay with it and you know what she did dhe jumped down from the couch she was on and came up on the couch I was on and put her head in my lap....

Ohhhhhhh this is the start of a great long relationship !!!!!!

Best to all,
Lewis

jawert1
June 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Glad to hear she's coming around, one of my dogs is really sensitive and it takes her days to get over anaesthesia. Yay for the couch training too! :) Keep us posted on how she's doing, great to see such a success :pawprint:

Lucky Rescue
June 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear Dani is feeling better!:)

Well I fixed that problem I picked her up and put her back on the couch and petted her for about 10 minutes

Are you sure you want to do that? You may regret it one day.:p

Here is my sofa-turned-dog-bed. It was quite beautiful BC (Before Chloe).:(

lewisw
June 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear Dani is feeling better!:)

Are you sure you want to do that? You may regret it one day.:p

Here is my sofa-turned-dog-bed. It was quite beautiful BC (Before Chloe).:(
lmao :) I don't mind I want her to feel at home . She is such a calm sweet girl I am not worried.....

Skryker
June 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm glad she is starting to settle in and bond with you! :highfive: Go, Dani!

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ohhhhhhh this is the start of a great long relationship !!!!!!

Glad to hear things are going well. :highfive: It's always so heartwarming to hear that a pet has such a loving home. :love: :thumbs up

Frenchy
June 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM
sooo cute!couch training...she wil be a spoiled little girl.Lucky her:)

lewisw
June 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
sooo cute!couch training...she wil be a spoiled little girl.Lucky her:)

I think Spoiled is an understatement...
Lunch time today ....
Drove to wallmart
picked up ...
-Kong toy for Dani ....
-Dani follows sqeaky toys so when we call her and squeak a toy she seems to be learnig her name so I bought the loudest sqeeky toy I could find. Might get thrown out along with it but who knows :)
-Dog Bed
-Denta Bones ....
Glad it was pay day yesterday :)

Can't wait to go home and see her face when I open the bag !!!
Have a great week-end all ,
Lewis

lewisw
June 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I forgot to show you how comfortable she was with me in my office yesterday.

In a way I wish my kids still had school next week so I could bring her every day :)

if no one was looking it was tempting to cuddle up next to her heh heh !

chico2
June 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Lewis,I'm so happy to hear she's being spoiled,she looks like a real sweetheart and you sound like one:D
She's a lucky girl,I am sure she'll have a lot of fun with your teenage children this summer.
I am soooo happy for her:thumbs up

jesse's mommy
June 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Congrat! It sounds like she is really settling in with you and your family. I'm so happy she is already comfortable with you. But one word of caution, please be careful with Dentabones. There have been a lot of problems with them not breaking down and getting caught in dogs intestines. There were some threads posted about it not too long ago. I'll see if I can find them. Better safe than sorry. Besides that, I'm so happy you are spoiling her, that is exactly what every dog needs!!!

Boy I just realized, I'm a dummy. It's greenies not dentabones. I'll still see if I can find the greenies thread just so you have the info.

Found it:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23953

lewisw
June 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Lewis,I'm so happy to hear she's being spoiled,she looks like a real sweetheart and you sound like one:D
She's a lucky girl,I am sure she'll have a lot of fun with your teenage children this summer.
I am soooo happy for her:thumbs up
aWWWWW shucks now you made me blush :)
We had a great week-end she LOVES to go in my Miata with the top down.
We drove about 10 minutes from home to Lake park and we did a tour around the lake took about 30 minutes and the entire time her tail was held high and every time I would stop to give her a kiss she would wag her tail.

Things are going great the only thing I can;t figure out is she has the run of the entire house BUT she spend MOST of her time under the kitchen table .
I'm wondering is this still hesitation to mix with the family or maybe she just like to be under the table.

Maybe it is just part of the period to get used to her new environment ?
We take her to our bedroom with her pillow to sleep on but she runs right back to under the kitchen table where she sleeps all night.

The minute I call Dani sweety where are you she comes out from under the table with her tail wagging so I don;t think she is afraid anymore.

I ran with her to the vet on Saturday casue Friday night she went into this 3 minute what I thought was choking routine but it turns out it was more like trying to clear her throat. She did it again Saturday morning but briefly.

The vet took her temperature and said since she was normal she was not going to give antibiotics and it could be kennel cough just keep an eye on it.
Well good news is she has not done it since.

Have a good Monday everyone.
Lewis

chico2
June 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I believe the"under-the table thing"is her comfort zone at the moment,I am sure it will change as time goes by.
Every one of my cats have their specific spots in the house,I know with them,it's not because they are frightened.

Lucky Rescue
June 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Things are going great the only thing I can;t figure out is she has the run of the entire house BUT she spend MOST of her time under the kitchen table .
I'm wondering is this still hesitation to mix with the family or maybe she just like to be under the table.

She's probably doing that BECAUSE you gave her run of the house right away. She's overwhelmed and it's a smaller, cozier space under the table and it makes her feel more secure for now.

lewisw
June 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM
She's probably doing that BECAUSE you gave her run of the house right away. She's overwhelmed and it's a smaller, cozier space under the table and it makes her feel more secure for now.

ok great so it is not something to be concerned about.
Another good note I found out she decided to play tug of war with my son last night with her rope toy so this is SUCH a good positive change.
The vet told me her true personality should come out in 2-3 weeks so I am hoping this new found friskiness is part of it.

Frenchy
June 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hello worried dad :D I too adopted older dogs.They never had any behavioral problem except for the fact that I tought they were too nice,didn't get excited,didn't bark,didn't steel anything.....After a year,Daisy started to do goofy stuff so I was very happy.It took Bailey 2 years to play with another dog.So you see,it will only get better!Sorry about the cough,it will go away with antibiotics and you can give her a spoon of honey to ease her throat.Keep us posted.

lewisw
June 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hello worried dad :D I too adopted older dogs.They never had any behavioral problem except for the fact that I tought they were too nice,didn't get excited,didn't bark,didn't steel anything.....
Thats so funny this describes Dani to a "T" :)
Worried Dad describes me pretty well also heh heh.
The vet said she did not want to give her antibiotics becasue she had no fever but I'm to keep an eye on her. Funny I dint think it was a cough and you all would have laughed at me trying to imitate the action to the Vet !!!! Glad she had a great sense of humor which she showed me cause Dani let off some gaz and the Vet who now will be Dani's lifetime vet said whew Dani did you let of Gaz cause I know it was not me... So of course I had to say to her well I promise it was not me either so this really set a good rapor between man,vet and his new loved one !!!

Best
Lewis

glasslass
June 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I'm so glad to read such an uplifting thread. You two were meant to be together! Congrats!

lewisw
June 13th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I'm so glad to read such an uplifting thread. You two were meant to be together! Congrats!
Thanks so much !!!!
What a difference every day makes.
Dani is really coming out of her shell .
Last night we plaid tug of war with her rope toy . Also fetch the stick and run away with it was a fun game for her . It's so nice to see each day a new change in her.

An amazing change is when I picked her up from the rescue in Rawden to suprize the kids she was petrofied to be in my Miata. She climbed into the small rear well and staid there for the entire hour drive back to the west island. BUT now I take her every day when I get home for a walk around lake park and she literly jumps into the car now , sits in the seat looks outside and does not try and climb into the rear well anymore. .... No FEAR at all !!!

Now that is a beautiful change !!!

meb999
June 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
awww, what a beautifull story. Reading this is a great way to strat the day :)
Congratulations to you and Dani. It's completely normal that her personality hasn't fully come out yet. It took buster over a month to come out of his shell. He was afraid of almost everything, and spent most of his time crying at the window (I think he was expecting his old owners to come and pick him up :sad: ).
I hope you're ready for the time when her personality WILL come out ;) a golden/border collie mix will have TONS of energy!!

lewisw
June 13th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I'm READY !!!!!!
when this ahppens I will know for sure she is comfortable in her forever home .

And also every day when I wake up and find her in the house and see that tail wagging when she sees me is a great way to start the day. What a difference when that beautiful tail started off only being netween her legs at the beginning.

I look so forward to my afternoon quality time with her when it is just the two of us walking around lake park.
Lewis

phoenix
June 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Lewis I just wanted to take a second and say, you're doing so well with Dani!!! It's such a pleasure to read about your experiences and your patience with her.

Congrats on rescuing such a beautiful friend.

lewisw
June 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Phoenix,
This board has made me and Dani fill so welcome and is so much fun to visit. I love reading the off topic forums as well as everybody here is so open its a great atmosphere !!!
best
Lewis

meb999
June 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Is Danni starting to come outta her shell a little?

lewisw
June 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
meb999 ,
OMG And I was worried when I first got her !!!! She is 500% diffferent from just as little as a week ago...

She loves our family follows my wife around like her shadow but then again she does that to me as well now....

My highlight of every day is when I come home she runs to the front door flops on her back and shows me her stomach to tickle !!!!

Last night she showed me a playful side I never saw before and for about 45 minutes she made me chase her round and round my pool with the footbal and when i got it she could not wait fro me to throw it as she would dart off in the direction I was looking at.

Only thinf that still suprises me and it might change in time is she won't sleep with us . I bought her from club price a nice doggy bed and during the day it stays in the living room but I tried at night putting it into my bbedroom but she prefers to sleep downstairs in my computer room which is carpeted.

Oh well one day I am sure she will want to sleep with us.

jawert1
June 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Hey Lewis, my Pointer was like that for about a month after he came home, would sleep outside the bedroom door, but wouldn't come in. He slowly inched his way in during the nights,but it took a long time before he'd actually make an appearance before the lights were out, and even longer till I could say "let's go to bed" and they'd both run in. She'll get there :)

lewisw
June 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Jawert1 ,
I just love this forum more and more every day .
I think I check this forum more then I do my own website.... Not good for my business heh heh !!!

Either way the support that is given here is unmatched anywhere and I thank you all again for making this nwebie feel so at home !!!

You see there is a method to my madness I figured if I could get Dani to sleep with us I could tell my wife every night when she wakes me up cause of my snoring that Dani does not seem to complain :)

goldenblaze
June 17th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Dani is beautiful, her colour is amazing:love:

She is very lucky to have found a great home with you, I'm sure Dani will be the perfect dog.

I have 2 golden retriever 2.5 yrs, great dogs. Enjoy her as she will you:angel:

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Goldenblaze everyone that meets her says the combination of gold and the white hair on her bum (collie in her ) makes her so beautiful .

But you know what I think she knows shes a hottie cause when she walks she struts her stuff :)

Dani has become such an amazing family member we all love her and its like she has been with us forever ...

wishing you the best of luck in your case.

Sincerely,
Lewis

chico2
June 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Lewis,judging by my number of posts,I have been here a"while":D it's always great to read about a success-story,like yours and Dani.
There is soo much sadness out there,but Danis good-luck story,is certainly a feel-good one:love:
I do agree though,there are some absolutely wonderful,caring people on this Forum:thumbs up

lewisw
June 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Chico2,
8000 + posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow I'm impressed. I hope my success story with Dani will continue here for a long time to come and I hope other people will feel as good as I do about adopting. I'm hoping next year to convice the mrs to have a second adoptee in our houshold. The kids are now 14 and 17 so one day the house will feel empty BUT not if we have more loved ones that will be with us for a long time.

Thanks again Chico2.
Lewis