Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where did the locking jaw myth come from?

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 01:52 AM
I was reading through some pit posts,and i came across one thing that said the locking jaw of a pit is a myth, I didnt know that it wasnt true, however it sounded like a bizzare trait none the less.
SO therefore where did the whole thing come from?

Lucky Rescue
June 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
It probably came from the same people who used to say that Doberman's brain outgrew their skulls and then they would kill their owners.:rolleyes:

technodoll
June 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM
LOL! yep i was just about to say that... :rolleyes: some dumb-butt macho owners looking for a way to make their dogs grow super-powers or something like that! :crazy:

Copper'sMom
June 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Pit Bulls were originally bred for gameness, which means that the dog will persevere (NOT let go) no matter how badly injured he or his opponent is. So basically, the dog just doesn't want to let go - it's his decision - NOT that his jaws are locked!
Gameness was desired in the breed back in the days when they were used for bull baiting and dog fighting.

So now you know!

pitgrrl
June 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Pit Bulls were originally bred for gameness, which means that the dog will persevere (NOT let go) no matter how badly injured he or his opponent is. So basically, the dog just doesn't want to let go - it's his decision - NOT that his jaws are locked!
Gameness was desired in the breed back in the days when they were used for bull baiting and dog fighting.

So now you know!

Gameness refers to the dogs unwillingness to give up the fight, rather than refusing to physically let go of a bite. Though it is true that bulldogs will hold a bite rather than bite repeatedly like other types of breeds.

The locking jaw myth, though it may stem from dog's bite and hold tendency, is about as true as brain swelling (which is now also attributed to pitbulls apparently :confused: ), blood lust and all the other evil superhero type traits these dogs are said to have.

Luvmypit
June 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know about you guys but my pitbull can fly and spew fire. sorry couldn't resist. Although if he could do my laundry maybe that would be great.

WE once had a mutt named Bo. I would say one of my most favourite dogs. He looks like a cross of black lab and pit bull. My dad when I had brought capone home told me that they have lock jaw and that when he was walking bo a guy asked if he was pit and then checked the dogs jaw and said no there is no lock jaw. LOL. My dad used this as evidence why i shouldn't keep capone. In the end it was more evidence of why I should keep my dog.

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM
LOL about the brain thing, a friend of mine with all his facts screwed up, lol, said to me that the reason that Rottie mixes "snap" so much is because when you take the brain of a Rottie and put it into the head of a ( insert some breed here) the brain doesnt fit and thats why the dog goes nuts!! LOL

Amazing how people are so talented to put brains in other dogs LOL

I told him " the reason some people are so stupid is because when you put a brain the size of a gooses into the head of a human, they turn out like you" lol