Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet(s) won't treat raw-fed dogs.

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I was speaking to the emergency vet on sunday, because as Layla has been there before, and may have to go again (hopefully not!!!) I like to keep her file updated there, so I brought by her new healrh records. Anyways, I mentioned that I had switched her to raw, and I was told that they would not treat her so long as she is being fed a raw diet (their concern is that the bacteria will spread to other animals being treated).
I went to Calgary after that, and was speaking to my parents' dog trainer, who feeds his dogs raw, but finds that a lot of vets won't treat his dogs because of it. Has anyone encountered this? As well as Layla is doing on Raw right now, if vets won't treat her, I am going to have to switch back to kibble. It's a little distressing that a vet won't treat an animal because of its diet.:mad:

mafiaprincess
June 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM
How exactly is your dog a danger, by being fed raw.. I know I asked about raw and things like stuftie toys, out of curiosity..
But it's not like your dog has the 'pig pen dirt cloud from charlie brown' circling it. Wow.

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Umm to be honest, I'm still a little confused by the "threat that my dog poses". This has only furthered my belief that a lot of vets out there know nothing about dog food. I guess, they think that the bacteria in the food could remain on the dogs skin etc, and (for example) Layla, who eats the bacteria is not affected by it, but as the vet contacts her, the bacteria is passed to him, where it multiplies, and then it gets passed to other dogs, who aren't used to it and get sick...

but on that logic, the vet shouldn't treat any sick dogs, because what if their diseases spread to other dogs he treats? Call me crazy, but a good handwashing, table washing, and at worst, a change of coat, should prevent spread of these bacteria.

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 04:40 AM
IMO thats just BS, the reason that the vet doesnt want to treat your dog is prolly cause the vet is intimidated that you perhaps know more about food than he/she does. My dogs roll in dead things and have been taken in with wounds from bizzare fights at camp, that to me is more of a threat than your dog eating well balanced healthy foods!
My money is on the vet not understanding raw diets and being "fearful" of them.

Alot of vets around here are actually starting to recognize it more, there is even a very reputable one here that will help you with homeopathic remedies:eek: Talk about out of the norm for veterinarians (who imo alot of them have begun seeing $$$$ more than loving and caring for the animals, but thats my opinion)

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I don't believe that a vet would not treat a dog by what it's fed. If that is indeed the case, then that vet needs to be reported to the Veterinary Board.

doggy lover
June 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I wonder if they are worried about things like ecoli and samonilla(spelling?need spell check) as they could be passed on to other dogs, if your dog had it? But that would mean that the food was tainted or left out for long periods of time which I'm sure anyone feeding a raw diet would not do. As I see it if you take the time to feed this type of diet you are concerned about your pets health and would know better to leave raw food out. The rest of us lazy people feed kibble.;)

technodoll
June 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I don't believe that a vet would not treat a dog by what it's fed. If that is indeed the case, then that vet needs to be reported to the Veterinary Board.

i totally agree, what a crock of BS! Find another vet, and quick! Oh my lord, what is this world coming to... would a doctor fail to treat any human patient because of their diet? :confused: and back to dogs, it's complete non-logic. what about those pets treated at these very same clinics who suffer and spread around contagious infections (parvo, kennel cough, you name it), dogs who have not had a bath in months (years), dogs who stink, are covered with sores, have open wounds, pus, fleas, mange, rolled in dog poop, have bowel diseases and ***** on the floor, you name it? Do you really think the vets scrub and disinfect their floors, chairs, walls, counters, instruments every day? Hardly not...

This is a blatant case if harmful, biased ignorance based on zero facts, it's racist and should be reported. PLEASE walk away from these kinds of narrow-minded, idiot vets and find one who is actually practicing real medecine in all its aspects, and understands that what you are doing is actually helping your dog be healthy. Vets don't have to encourage it, you don't go there to seek nutritional advice, but they should at least not make you feel like you are doing something wrong and harmful. i mean, WTF....

if you cannot find any vets in your area that are open-minded, do what some raw-feeders must resort to: don't tell them what you are feeding, and if they ask, lie. Name a kibble brand to make them shut up. It's none of their business, really, specially if you only go for routine check-ups and your dog is otherwise in good health. :pawprint:

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM
if you cannot find any vets in your area that are open-minded, do what some raw-feeders must resort to: don't tell them what you are feeding, and if they ask, lie. Name a kibble brand to make them shut up. It's none of their business, really, specially if you only go for routine check-ups and your dog is otherwise in good health. :pawprint:

I DO think you should go see another vet, but I disagree that you should lie to your vet about the food your dog is eating. Just because if ever *God forbid* your dog gets ill because of her diet, they won't jumnp to that conclusion, and may not do appropriate testing and stuff. I think your vet should know your dog's diet and everything about their routine. Don't lie to your vet, just find a new one.

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM
thanks guys, my normal vet is fine with the food, in fact he admitted that he doesn't know much about it, but that he thinks it is great. The vet that said he wouldn't treat her is just one that I have seen when my vet is closed (my vet doesn't have the longest hours in the world..... the price you py for a good, not to mentio goodlooking, vet ;)) I guess I was just a little suprised that this trainer had encountered it too.
I think I would like to furthur confirm this before doing any reporting, there is more than one vet at this clinic, so I would like to personally talk to each and every one before doing anything.

technodoll
June 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
all i know is... please don't let any vet's ignorance on the raw diet influence you to change what you are doing... remember, they endorse Science Diet and the like... what do they know about nutrition? :yuck:

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I wonder if they are worried about things like ecoli and samonilla(spelling?need spell check) as they could be passed on to other dogs, if your dog had it? But that would mean that the food was tainted or left out for long periods of time which I'm sure anyone feeding a raw diet would not do.Actually, E.coli and Salmonella can naturally occur in meats (especially salmonella), and they're probably worried that the increase in these bacteria in the feces or vomit could pose a threat to the weaker dogs they are caring for. In feeding raw, you're depending on your dog's digestive tract being short enough to pass the bacteria without causing illness in your dog- but where does it end up? ;)

Seems to me that with so many immune compromised dogs and dogs with unknown illnesses, exposing them to raw is just one thing you can control.

BMDLuver
June 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Just some info on E.Coli... your dog or can get it from as simple a thing as aspirating while at the vet's office or anywhere for that matter. It's pretty well everywhere you go so feeding raw should not somehow be exlcusive to this risk. Point in fact... 4 dogs with E.Coli in lungs... 2 from completely different locations.. all had mild bordetella that went haywire.

phoenix
June 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Actually, E.coli and Salmonella can naturally occur in meats (especially salmonella), and they're probably worried that the increase in these bacteria in the feces or vomit could pose a threat to the weaker dogs they are caring for. In feeding raw, you're depending on your dog's digestive tract being short enough to pass the bacteria without causing illness in your dog- but where does it end up? ;)

ACTUALLY... ecoli lives in the digestive tract of mammals including us and is deposited in the feces of EVERY dog, not just the ones that eat raw. So, ban all dogs from vet offices... no, wait, that doesn't work...

However, I think you might be spot on regarding the salmonella... check this article out...http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1140397... ewww- ground meats.

technodoll
June 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
slight hijack but i had to share this story... about ground meats... a couple of summers ago i bought some ground turkey at the local supermarket, it was a high-end brand, well packaged and well within the "best-before" date. Got home & fried it up in a pan with some oil (was going to make turkey chili), it didn't smell bad but was kinda "off" in some unidentifiable way, my sensitive nose has never let me know re: bad meats... well halfway into the cooking it had a slight chemical smell and that's not the worst of it - big black flies started swarming into my kitchen by the dozens! it was like a freaky Amytiville horror movie! they streaked into our place through every window, door and crevice they could find and in my hair, my face, attacking the frying meat - i was screaming for my BF to get the swatter, a towel, anything to get them away from me, had never seen anything like it in my life!!! i found a big plastic container and dumped the simmering meat into it, snapped on the lid, wrapped two plastic bags around it and tossed it in the garbage bin outside.... and 2 minutes later the flies had all disappeared from my kitchen. To this day, i have never bought any ground poultry again!!! :eek: :yuck:

rainbow
June 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
LOL....your BF should have got the video camera instead of a fly swatter. :D

But, back to the original thread, I don't see how or why a vet can refuse to see an animal because it is fed raw. I'm going to see what my vet says.

technodoll
June 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
in the beginning, my vet tried to convince me that raw was dangerous, and i just politely told them that i was going there to get my dog examined & vaccinated, that i had researched the diet to death and it was our choice. They saw my dog was super healthy... and over time, and with the addition of our 2nd raw dog and annual bloodwork to monitor "the insides", they have completely dropped the subject and just gush over the furkids every time we drop in for a weigh-in or other visit. they just get curious why my raw-fed girl refuses their Science Diet dog cookies, LOL! :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
June 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
slight hijack but i had to share this story... about ground meats... a couple of summers ago i bought some ground turkey at the local supermarket, it was a high-end brand, well packaged and well within the "best-before" date. Got home & fried it up in a pan with some oil (was going to make turkey chili), it didn't smell bad but was kinda "off" in some unidentifiable way, my sensitive nose has never let me know re: bad meats... well halfway into the cooking it had a slight chemical smell and that's not the worst of it - big black flies started swarming into my kitchen by the dozens! it was like a freaky Amytiville horror movie! they streaked into our place through every window, door and crevice they could find and in my hair, my face, attacking the frying meat - i was screaming for my BF to get the swatter, a towel, anything to get them away from me, had never seen anything like it in my life!!! i found a big plastic container and dumped the simmering meat into it, snapped on the lid, wrapped two plastic bags around it and tossed it in the garbage bin outside.... and 2 minutes later the flies had all disappeared from my kitchen. To this day, i have never bought any ground poultry again!!! :eek: :yuck:

Sorry to revisit the threadjack, but you should probably know that a few years ago a bunch of grocery chains across the country (and probably spread into Canada) had major problems with their meat. They were repackaging old meat and adding this chemical filler (can't remember what it was) to recolor it again to make it look good and selling it. It was this huge thing. I definitely remember the one chain, but won't name it due to slander issues and know there were a few others. Just be careful when you open meat with any kind of chemical smell to it. (And yes I do have some experience with the grocery industry since I'm a sales rep and I am in at least 7 grocery stores a day.)

As for the crappy Science Diet cookies, Jesse hates them too. She'll take it from the vet, look at me and spit it out on the floor. I politely pick it up and put it in my pocket, then throw it away after we leave.

Puppyluv
June 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Just a little update. I spoke to another vet at this clinic, and she clarified the situation for me. She said that they will treat a raw-fed dog. They would prefer not to, but in the case of emergency they will not turn the dog away. Also, if the dog has to stay overnight, it will be placed in a different room from the other dogs. Their concern is the salmonella, because they have no way of knowing the quality of meat being fed to the dogs.

technodoll
June 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
so.... will a dog eating ol'roy and SD be kept away from the dogs eating a "better" kibble? :D since we all know that salmonella frequently occurs in kibble, specially the low-grade ones! :D

http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html
For example, two products could list chicken or chicken meal but you would not know from the list, if it is pet grade chicken, meaning unfit for human consumption. Pet-grade could include the diseased-ridden, e.g. salmonella-infected, rejects.

mummummum
June 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
This is all so odd to me. Over the course of their lives the grrrl's (travelling and home, regular and emerg) have seen 8 Vet's (that I can recall) and not one has ever said a thing about treatment refusal or segregation because of their diet - and I was always upfront about it. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but is the raw movement growing and is this some form of big pet food co. propaganda backlash ?