Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to annoy a car-guy

Schwinn
June 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Okay, it's June. TAKE OFF THE DAMN SNOW TIRES, ALREADY!! I can't believe the number of cars I'm seeing driving around that still have snow tires on them. I think it's worse than still having Christmas lights up. Not just because they were out significantly faster than regular tires above 0 C, and not just because it can actually be dangerous in adverse weather (snow tires are made of a softer compound than regular tires and may not grip properly). But because it's, well, it's just tacky!!

Sorry, it annoys car people. Don't ask why, it just does!

erykah1310
June 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I dont put snow tires on EVER, no need for them, (even though northern ontario gets ALOT of snow) however, it annoys me when people refuse to drive without them. I think some people need a bit more experience driving in winter with regular tires, not just to say " I have Blizzaks, its OK!!" and tearing off like they are invincable.
That annoys me. LOL,

I think it's worse than still having Christmas lights up. http://bestsmileys.com/expressions/2.gif IM guilty there!! :o Leave them up year round

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Hey! I have blizzaks and it IS ok!:D

The worst is studded tires. Yes, buddy, we can HEAR your studs. We're not morons. And the law says that they're not allowed past a certain date too. They're even worse than regular winters on dry. :rolleyes:

I've got mine on already (since the beginning of April)... My BFGoodrich G-Force Sport tires... "I have G-Forces, it's OK!" :D

jjgeonerd
June 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I cringe every time I hear people with studded tires here in Seattle (which is a lot in the winter when they're allowed). C'mon people...YOU LIVE IN SEATTLE...it might snow twice a year, it doesn't stick for more than a day, and it RARELY gets below freezing anyway!!

OK...better now. :D

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
:o I'm guilty of owning studded tires...but they're off at the end of March (I always take them off before the law states they have to be off...Which is in april sometime...), every year! Once you've spent one winter with studded tires, you never want to go back! Then again, we get a fair amount of snow around here...

My bf is a mecanic, and he also gets really annoyed at people who leave their winters on all year round!!

dtbmnec
June 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I don't have a car....I want a car....I need money first!

I think my parents have just bought the all weather tires for their car....I thought studded tires were illegal though? Perhaps I'm confuzzled....

minor threadjack: in response to jjgeonard's post it reminded me of a story my parents told me. They were down in the US (before I was born) and I believe they were in Georgia or something (a state with almost no snow ever either way) and it randomly snowed about an inch. Accidents everywhere, cops running around giving tickets for anyone going over a certain speed and they come upon my parents. My parents are from Canada of course and 2 inches of snow means nothing to them, so they were going the speed limit posted instead of a much slower speed (which is why the Trooper pulled them over). He asked why they weren't wearing snow chains in "this abominable weather" and told them that they were going too fast and would get a ticket. He took one look at their Canadian driver's licenses, handed it back, and sent them on their way with a "be careful". He realised that because they lived in Canada that they had more experience driving in snow in their pinky finger, than everyone who was a Georgian native combined!

(That didn't come out so funny.....my parents tell that story so much better)

Megan

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
....I thought studded tires were illegal though? Perhaps I'm confuzzled....

Studded tires are legal, as long as you install them and remove them according to your municipality's regulations. Basically, they don't want studded tires on bare, hot cement -- because it would wear it out faster. As long as you put them on early winter and remove them at the end of winter, you're ok!
I love them, my car can stop on a dime in icy/snow covered roads. Since people in Montreal drive like maniacs, it's pretty usefull! I don't know how many bicycle courriers I could have hit if it weren't for my tires ( yes, the courriers in town use their bikes during winter, and they think they OWN the road, always cutting off cars and speeding through red lights :eek: )

happycats
June 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Studded tires are legal, as long as you install them and remove them according to your municipality's regulations. Basically, they don't want studded tires on bare, hot cement -- because it would wear it out faster. As long as you put them on early winter and remove them at the end of winter, you're ok!
I love them, my car can stop on a dime in icy/snow covered roads. Since people in Montreal drive like maniacs, it's pretty usefull! I don't know how many bicycle courriers I could have hit if it weren't for my tires ( yes, the courriers in town use their bikes during winter, and they think they OWN the road, always cutting off cars and speeding through red lights :eek: )

I think they are illegal in Ontario.

HunterXHunter
June 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I want a tank.

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
We're allowed studded up here too. I dont see the whole fuss about them though ( but i dont see the fuss with winter tires at all) just me though.

When i was learning to drive my dad had a (not so good) 95 mystique ( which we lovingly nicknamed a Mistake) he would tell me to go drive around in the dirt roads ( by the cemetary, where no one ever is) and try to loose control. I did a few times, ended up walking back to get my dad cause the car was planted in a snowbank ( cant go very fast there though thakfully)
His theory behind this was that the only way to be prepared for winter driving is to be familliar with it. I learnt fast what made a front wheel drive spin out and almost just as quickly learnt how to avoid it. I wouldnt have wanted to learn about winter driving any other way.
I think its a good way to learn that one a car loses control, its amazing how big it feels instantly and how small and insignificant you are in there. There are ways out of a spin but I would rather not get myself into that predicament again. Especially NOT on a highway!!!!
Sorry for the tread jack!! LOL

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I dont put snow tires on EVER,

See, this is what bothers me.... there are snow tires for a reason. All season radials are not made for canadian winters. It affects the safety of everyone else on the road.

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Before Winter tires how on earth did people survive??
In the 70's (the era with the big muscle cars, rear wheel drive of all things) there were none
They learnt to manouver accordingly to the weather, dont get me wrong, when there is a blizzard, speedlimit seems a bit fast to me.
there is a mentality now that with Winter tires you are invincible, (same mentality goes for people with 4x4's You can wipe out in 4x too.) It really ticks me off when people think that they can drive as though it was a beutiful July day when in fact it is a blustery January day!!:(

Winter tires are great for added security dont get me wrong, but people have to realize that they are in fact NOT invincible because of them.

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
In the 70's the cars also weighed at least double what they weigh now, so tires were less important.

And the roads were new back then too.:D

erykah1310
June 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
And the roads were new back then too.
Must have been nice!! LOL, cant possibly drive my Camaro on some of these highways now :mad: I have lost a few exhaust systems from attempting some "secondary Highways"
Get with it Government.... Fix our roads!!! ( I need work LOL)

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I agree completely that winter tires are not a carte blanche to do what you want on the road, but I still think they are safer on the road (in winter) than asr's. Today's cars are so tiny and light that tires make a huge difference. Then there are all those people who buy low quality tires.....:eek:

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, all seasons are a total compromise. They're a bit softer than summers for winter driving, but harder than winters so that they won't blow up in the heat of the hottest day of the summer. All in all, you end up with a less expensive crap winter tire and a crap summer tire all in one.:rolleyes:

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM
case in point:

Schwinn
June 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Before Winter tires how on earth did people survive??
In the 70's (the era with the big muscle cars, rear wheel drive of all things) there were none

Actually, they did have them. Before today's steel belted tires, or radials, they had what was called bias ply tires, which came in summer and winter configuration. Winter tires looked like the mudders that you see on 4x4's that actually go off-road. All season tires did not come about until the early '80's or late '70's, shortly after steel belted first became the norm. Until that time, you had two choices--summer or winter tires.

The need for winter tires depends on three things--- location, vehicle and type of all-seasons. There are plenty of places in Canada where a winter tire isn't required, even Ontario. That's not to say there aren't days where they would be better. But if you live in, say, Windsor, you could count the days without taking off your socks where you would actually need them. Vehicle? that depends on tonnes of factors. Some cars are just engineered in a way that you need all the help you can get. Quite often, it's the small cars with the big wheels that would fall into this.

And lastly, what tire you are replacing? For example, the first truck I had came with these awesome tires that got great traction both on-road and off. When winter came, it handled great. When I traded in for the RED RANGER, the tires that came with it, although good on the highway, were terrible off road, and in winter. I put winter tires on it, and I got great traction and handling, but only slightly better than the all season's I got on the first truck. Mind you, the first truck was a little squirrely on the wet pavement, just like winters are sometimes. But again, it all depends on the tire, winter, summer (which I don't think you can even buy anymore) or all season.

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Actually, they did have them. Before today's steel belted tires, or radials, they had what was called bias ply tires, which came in summer and winter configuration. Winter tires looked like the mudders that you see on 4x4's that actually go off-road. All season tires did not come about until the early '80's or late '70's, shortly after steel belted first became the norm. Until that time, you had two choices--summer or winter tires.

I understood the first sentence and the last sentence.....not a clue what the heck all the ones in the middle are!! :o :D

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yup, you can still buy summers, I use nokian summer tires, not asr's, and they make a huge difference. The car came with asr's and the difference is like night and day.

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, mine are high performance summers. After spinning out going 60 km/h in a 65 for NO REASON (everybody in Qc knows that you can go at least 120km/h on a 65 curve ;)) on crap all seasons, I said NEVER AGAIN!

These new tires will probably last me 2 summers but I never have a doubt about my car's handling anymore. If I spin out now, it's MY fault.

They didn't even cost much more than the crap all seasons. I paid $125/tire for the all seasons and $160 for second-to-top of the line performance summers. (But I guess you have to buy a set of winters too...:o)

My man's car is much lighter than mine, but the traction on my car needs help. We both push our cars a little more than the average driver, but in the end, even though mine is built to go faster, his is built to stick to the road better. So as a result, I need better tires all the time.

The best thing to do is assess your driving conditions and get a tire that best suits them. Afterall, it's your life you're dealing with here.

glasslass
June 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Snow tires? Huh? :D

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
lol glasslass- you can't rub it in anymore- it's summer here too! (Well, it was last week anyway...):D

mafiaprincess
June 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I got my snow's off on Tuesday. Oops. I have 7 tires 5 rims.. And was putting off having to take my car in to switch my snows off the rims..

Turns out Canadian tire will now make appointments.. If I'd known.. I'd have done it when I started putting it off in April. Oops.

OntarioGreys
June 9th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I dont put snow tires on EVER, no need for them, (even though northern ontario gets ALOT of snow) however, it annoys me when people refuse to drive without them. I think some people need a bit more experience driving in winter with regular tires, not just to say " I have Blizzaks, its OK!!" and tearing off like they are invincable.
That annoys me. LOL,

http://bestsmileys.com/expressions/2.gif IM guilty there!! :o Leave them up year round

I spent 2 years on the French River, and winter drving there is far better than southern Ontario, the road works plows and sand(they use very little salt) or the left and just becomes dry pack which made the driving very easy back when I lived there we were all driving rear wheel drives , here locally you can have 6 inches of snow and they dump an inch of salt ontop which just turns it into a greasy mess rather than plow it first and then throw down salt, it would be far safer if they just left it alone. I have never used snow tires, but the last few years after a few near accidents due to sliding in the crappy heavy 4 inches of slush I am getting keener on the idea

Prin
June 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I never saw that nasty brown slush till I moved to the city. That stuff is horrible and slippery too.