Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bumps in the ear

coppperbelle
June 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
My sister's Airedale has had a dirty ear for a week or so. She has been cleaning it but on Sunday noticed three little bumps inside the ear. They look like bug bites that have not gone away. She couldn't get an appointment with her regular vet so she took her to the country vet who didn't know what it was. He prescribed some drops, told her they could be tumors, bug bites or something else.
Could they have been caused by the dog scratching her dirty ear?

NorwichMom
June 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi Copperbelle,
I'm new here and I saw your post and wanted to toss out an idea about your sister's Airedale. Are these bumps black in color by any chance? Has the dog recently been given a rabies vaccine? I have a friend who has a Norwich Terrier (I also have Norwich) who developed bumps on the insides of his ears shortly after a rabies vaccine was given. Regular vets thought it was contact dermatitis because the bumps were perfectly symetrical but after trying all sorts of topicals,etc., my friend took him to UC Davis where he was diagnosed with RVI-ID which stands for Rabies Vaccine Induced Ischemic Dermatopathy; it is a reaction to an adjuvant used in the vaccine. Apparently UC Davis has been leading the way in diagnosing this problem. I have oodles of information on this subject so if you'd like more, I'd be happy to help.