Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Piercing aftercare

meggie1425
June 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I always wanted to get a piercing, not so much because i like them(im more into tattoos!), but more for the experience... anyways i didnt want something everyone could see, so i got my nipple pierced on friday. The whole piercing thing is new to me(besides my ears) so i wasnt really sure how to clean it. I looked up some info on the internet. and twice everday ive been washing it with anti-bacterial soap, and at night i fill a cup with water, disolve sea salt in it and soak it for about 10 minutes. Anyways I thought i was doing a pretty good job keeping it clean, but this Morning i woke up and it hurt like crazy, Then i noticed it had actually bled through my shirt and onto my sheets! It has bled everyday since i got it, but never THAT much and it was always really dry blood...
Does anyone have piercings and know whats going on? is this a sign it could be getting infected or could i have maybe slept on it wrong? Or does anyone have advice for cleaning it? I just think its kinda weird that it would bleed that much 5 days after i got it pierced...

erykah1310
June 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I had my eyebrow done a few years ago and it REJECTED, it bled alot too, i mostly was sleeping on it wrong, but you cant really control what you do in your sleep, I slept for months with a band aid on my face ( looked really swift let me tell ya) this helped with keeping it from getting caught in my hair and blankets and so on. Im not sure if you are willing to deal with the sharp pain of taking a band aid off yourself everymorning or not but it helps to stop it from getting caught on anything.
I didnt get any infection but a friend of mine who got her belly button done the same day as me got a nasty infection, with green puss and everything!!!!:yuck: She took hers out!
dont have any other suggestions other than the band aid but i wish you the best of luck with your piercing!!!

mafiaprincess
June 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I have 13 piercings. And had as many as 20 at times. Nipples I did more than once.. they hated all my bras in the end sadly. I'd skip the soap and do salt soaks 2 times a day instead. How are you soaking it now? The solution sould taste like your tears, no stronger. I personally like shot glasses for soaking many piercings.

PetFriendly
June 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
When I had my belly button pierced I soaked it two or three times daily with an epsom salt and water mixture. I was kind of paranoid about infection since I'm diabetic and might have over done it, but I never got an infection. I also used the special anti bacterial soap, not sure what its called, but it was almost hospital grade soap and was kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. I used that in the shower and made sure I washed my belly button right before getting out of the shower.

The band aid idea is good to cut down on the piercing moving around and disturbing the skin that's trying to heal. Signs of infection are redness (if it goes white you're in real trouble and shoudl see a doctor right away), swelling and puss.

raingirl
June 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Use Epsom salts NOT SEA SALT. It's the magnesium in epsom salt that helps to heal it.

Also, consider getting some Betadine from the pharmacy. WHen I got my navel pierced, I was told to wash twice a day with anti-bacterial soap, and then use a swab/cotton ball with a little betadine on it and coat the area around it. Make sure you turn the ring around (I assume it's a ring, not a barbell right?) while washing and putting betadine on it, so that the metal and skin inside the peircing also get cleaned too. I was told to use the betadine for 6 weeks.

Then, each night I disolved about a tbsp of epsom salt in a 3/4 cup of water, and I would soak it for about 20 minutes, stoping about 4 times to turn the ring so that all areas are covered.

Do not use dryer sheets or fabric softner on any of your clothes/sheets while it is healing, as those chemicals can react with the metal and cause irritation and infection.

I was thinking of getting my nipple done...but I don't think I could live without a bra while it healed.

mafiaprincess
June 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM
No decent piercer would recommend epsom salt. It is different chemically. The point in sea salt and water is to mimic a saline fluid similar to your body's chemistry. In using anything but the most gentle soap, like bactine kills healing tissue. So your body has to keep rehealing itself before it can heal the piercing.. along with a warning on the label that says it is not for puncture wounds.

I was into body modification for nearly a decade before I was into dogs.

Meggie, do some research for yourself. BME is the most hit on bod mod site on the net. http://www.bmezine.com/

raingirl
June 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
That's weird, because my doctor was the one who recommended that epsom/betadine routine, since I asked because the studio didn't give me much info. Then again, that was almost 10 years ago so things may have changed.

I was told that epsom has healing properties, that's why it is recommened. It keeps the skin soft and prevents it from scabbing too quickly. The betadine is a mild antiseptic I thought, so it keeps bacteria away from the area if you wipe it around the peircing.

I dunno. Mine healed fine on that routine in a few weeks.

Prin
June 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
The only thing I know about piercings (my last piercing was when I was 4), is that if you get infected easily, it's best to have high carat gold (like 18 or 21). Anything less than that and you could be reacting to the metal and not just the hole...

Brat
June 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Got my nipple done a few years ago. After a year it still hadn't healed. I had tried everything. I've had my lip for about 10 months now and it has its days hehe but besides that it healed ok. I have my tongue too, never any problems there. Had my eyebrow for 5 years and tHEN it rejected (real weird) my nose, labret, belly button...ahhh..when will I grow out of this! hehehe

mafiaprincess
June 7th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I'd say it's the 10 years ago thing Raingirl. Stuff is always changing, peopel always learning, just like dogs.

Lot of people don't do well with gold. Titanium is more inert.

I had a surface spinal reject and my nipples 3x. Successfully healed 13 of them for 4-7 years.

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Deffinately agree with Maffiaprincess on the titanium. I was always getting infections from my toung ring until I switched to titanium, and haven'thad a problem since. Other than rhat, err.. I agree with all the advice she hs given with regatds to soaking.

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I was into body modification for nearly a decade before I was into dogs.
Stuff is always changing, peopel always learning, just like dogs.
I LOVE these random mentionings of dogs. :D :highfive:

I didn't know that about titanium.. I guess I'm old school too.:o :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
June 8th, 2006, 01:40 AM
HAHA It's cause bod mod was my first love, and it took a back burner when I got all dog crazy. I used to be able to make stupid analogies to everything and bod mod, and now I'm so dog nutso, that I can link stuff abotu dogs to my everyday life. And do it sadly, damn often, as if you hadn't noticed, lol.

High quality gold can be used, but to fashion out a quality barbell or captive bead rind it is a super expensive piece of jewelry. Far cheaper to get titanium plus it's a lighter metal, so even on a large piece, it weighs next to nothing- with same properities of being more inert and better for a lot of people's bodies that surgical stainless steel.

jiorji
June 8th, 2006, 05:16 AM
you bled because during sleep you might've pulled on it. It has nothing to do with an infection.

When I got my first piercing, the same thing happened to me too. It was fine and then one night I woke up and it was all bloody, so I put a bandaid on it to keep it from getting pulled at in my sleep.

try wearing a bra when you sleep so that the piercing doesn't rub on anything.

to clean it just use a cotton swab with water and carry on with the usual cleaning methods.. It should be fine.

Also, in response to other replies, some piercings take a longer time to heal if you keep switching jewelry before it fully heals. No piercing should take more than a month to heal. Although I hear down below piercings should be given a 6 month healing period.
But if your body heals wounds slowly, then you can expect a healing to heal just a slow too. Same thing.

meggie1425
June 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM
(I assume it's a ring, not a barbell right?)
Nope! i have a barbell because before i got it pierced i had read that its easier for the nipple to reject a ring because of the shape...(i dont know if thats true but i didnt wanna take a chance!) mafiaprincess, thanks i have already printed out some info from http://www.bmezine.com/ and a bunch of other sites and the thing that confused me is that most of them all have different info saying whats good and whats not for the piercing... Also for soaking ive been boiling water, letting it cool, mixing about 1/4 tsp sea salt untill it dissolves and using a disposible cup...

meb999
June 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM
YAOWZA!! that's gotta hurt. I've been holding my boobs the whole I've been reading this thread!!

Dog Mom
June 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I was told when I got pretty much all my piercings (except tongue) that rings are better for the healing process, my piercer will not pierce with a barbell unless it's a tongue ring. All mine were cleaned with was anti-bacterial soap and bactroban for lubrication. I've never had a problem with any of my piercings, including nipples.

mafiaprincess
June 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Lot of better piercers pierce with barbells nowadays. CBRs get caught on things. People rotate them non stop. It's one thing to remove crusties, in fully turning the jewelry often you break the healing fistula or can rub it open again. Since it is thin healing tissue. Reason my nipples rejected 3x was the pressure the bottom of the ring put against them.

Warm or cool soaks don't matter too too too much, but if your nipple is hurting, warmer will feel better, and has more potential to draw nastiness out of the piercing fistula.

Luvmypit
June 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hey used to work at a store that sold body peircings.
One thing I can warn you about is over cleaning it! You should not dry out the peircing or else it will not have a chance for new skin to form.
I found this a lot with people who were worried about infections, theyw ould over do it. 2 - 3 times daily tops.

I dont remember what we used to recommend for cleaning. One thinkg to look out for is green coloured puss. I fyou see any of this you have an infection. Bleeding is normal but should subside within 4 days otherwise it means you are moving it around too much. Also try controlled moving of the barbell or ring. Often some people reject the metal nomatter what you do and it will slowly shove it out some faster then others. the eyebrow is most common for that.

PetFriendly
June 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM
The point of the salt I thought was to draw any infection out. The tatoo place and my doctor were both very specific about using epsom salt, not sea salt. I can't say I asked why, I just followed instructions.

If you don't have metal allergies, I'd stick with surgical steel... Least likely to cause a reaction. Piecing places usually use surgical steel.

The the barbell, don't play with it, and make sure you wash your hands before you clean it or touch it.

You should be ok, stop in at a walk in clinic if you think you aren't.

mafiaprincess
June 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Stainless steel isn't the best choice metal allergy or not.. Titanium is a purer metal, with no reactive properties..

PetFriendly
June 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Stainless steel isn't the best choice metal allergy or not.. Titanium is a purer metal, with no reactive properties..

Surgical steel is a higher quality metal with less impurities

mafiaprincess
June 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Epsom salt is hydrated magnesium sulfate.. which doesn't not mimic your body's saline levels, and doesn't help in the same way sea salt soaks do.

Implant grade SSS is great quality. But the piercers most people go to aren't using jewelry that is that high a grade, and therefore titanium is a better choice. Lot of the most finicky things like surface bars are most often titanium.

Steel is cheaper, heavier, less likely to tarnish, and isn't very biocompatible.
Titanium is lighter, roughly as strong, can be prone to tarnishing but it far more biocompatible.

Usually it's the price that is the stumbling block. Titanium isn't impure in the ways you are claiming. A lot of the top piercers use it more often that stainless if the clientel isn't baulking about the slightly more expensive price.

raingirl
June 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Don't forget that titanium can't be cut in the case of an emergency though, like at a hospital. Someone I know lost his left ring finger because he had a titanium wedding ring, and he broke his finger and it swelled, but because the hospital couldn't cut the titanium ring off, they had to amputate his finger. A little different with peircings, but still, something to think of.

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I heard that too when I was looking for a new ring... Scary stuff..

mafiaprincess
June 10th, 2006, 08:34 PM
True enough. All my CBRs have fairly loose balls on them, wouldn't take massive pressure to pop them, so it's hopefully less of a worry than something fully stable and one piece like a ring.
It's half the reason my tongue barbell has acrylic beads now. It could be fairly easily broken in an emergency faster than trying to take out any form of metal would be. I figure it's probably the only piercing I have that could be an emergency problem.