Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Quick Reminder for Everyone

LianneCatherine
June 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Shamrock touched on this subject in an earlier thread, and in an effort to avoid thread-jacking, I thought I'd expand upon it in a new one.

This past weekend, I went to see a band play (The Regan Years) at a local bar/billards place, Champions. The band was great, I doubt anyone has heard of them but they play a lot of 80's-90's classics. Anyway, my sister and I got a table, and were watching the band. A few other random people sat at the table too (everyone shares because there are so few tables), a couple and a guy by himself. So, my sister gets up to dance and tells me to watch the purses. So I stayed, and the guy who was alone kept trying to talk to me. I wasn't interested, so I just barely acknowledged him.

A while later, I really had to go to the bathroom so I got up and told my sister I was going, and then headed the 5 feet to the bathroom. About 3 minutes later, I came out and back to the table, where I saw immediately that my purse was gone. The random guy who was there alone was also gone.

I grabbed my sister's phone and went outside to call the police, but luckily there were some right outside. I told them what happened, and the bouncer overheard me and said "was it black and red with passports in it?" My boyfriend and I had just gotten back from vacation and I still had our passports in my purse. I said "Yes!" He told me that someone had found my purse dumped in the men's room. I followed him to where he had it, and looked inside -- my wallet was gone. However, my car/house keys, phone, and passports were still intact. Thank God!!

I've been scrambling to get everything back in order - cancelling my credit cards and bank accounts, getting a new driver's license and insurance card, buying a new wallet, replacing all of the other ID cards, changing all my online payments, etc. etc. You just don't realize how much of your life is affected by the contents of your wallet! It's amazing.

Anyway, I wanted to remind everyone to be diligent in keeping their belongings in sight and on you at all times. Even when you think you're in a safe place (a friend's house, social gathering, small town, etc!), you have to be careful. Also- keep a photocopy of the contents of your wallet in a safe at home, you will be glad you did! I couldn't get the card numbers to give the cops for my police report because the credit companies won't tell you over the phone! Like I'm going to steal from my own account that I shut down?

Just be careful and be aware of what's going on around you at all times!

meggie1425
June 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the reminder, and good luck with getting everything all sorted out!