Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on the foster dog.. Still needing advice.

liloaties
June 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone! Thank you for all of your encouragement and support in our fostering Henry.

I was going to actually go to adopt Henry today.

Then I came home today and Henry had chewed through a few things and scratched up the wall.

I'm very confused because we've been letting him roam free in our room for the past couple of days and he has been just fine. No accidents (not ANY actually since we've had him), no chewing anything, nothing. I'm starting to think that he was so good because he was still not feeling very well. Now he's feeling better and is anxious. Our other dog is crated in the room because they were way too rough to be BOTH out of the cage. And I honestly don't think it would help. BOTH of them have separation anxiety.

Now I'm not sure if we'll be able to adopt him. We REALLY don't have room for another crate. But if we really could make it work (maybe a cage that's big enough for the both of them that has a place where you can separate them?) then it would really be nice. He's very sweet.

I'd really like some advice. I'd hate to cage them both but if that's the only way to keep them from being up to no good, then I suppose that's what I'll do in order to keep him.

jawert1
June 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
The life of a recently adopted or fostered dog is like that, periods of calm punctuated by periods of insanity. I would recommend getting a crate large enough to accomodate the both of them, or looking into a dog walker for mid afternoon if you and your husband aren't or can't be home. I went through this with Simon, 3 days of calm, one day of mass destruction. The only hope I can give you is that he outgrew it, but it was a long few weeks until he did, and Henry might too. You need to give him more time than a week to adjust given that he just came home with you and then went back to the vet and is back with you again, and though it will try your patience at times, he'll settle down.

kaytris
June 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM
A crate big enough for two dogs is going to be just as big as a second crate - you need to give both dogs room enough to lay down comfortably, which for a medium size dog means a dane size crate..

I'm not sure how big henry is, but crates don't have to be out in the open.. they can fit under tables, in open closets, etc.

LibbyP
June 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi liloaties, nice to see you still have 'Henry' please be expecting alot up and down times in the next few weeks/months, his true nature won't come out totally until he is comfortable in the fact he's staying, I'd get a second crate, better to be safe than sorry(not to mention very:mad: ) at what you might come home to, welcome to the world of a insecure dog, keep up the good work, things will work out in time:pawprint:

stinkytaz
June 8th, 2006, 05:51 AM
It really will take a good few weeks / months before henry will show his true nature. Whe I brought tazz home he cried and shook for the first week, then became destructive but only when I left him, eventually his behaviour straightened out and the rewards of taking in a rescue dog became apparent. All I can say is walk him so much he is far too tired to be destructive! As for crating I have never used a crate myself, when i go out tazz ususally sleeps and is in the same position as when I left him!!

good luck with henry.:)

rainbow
June 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I agree with Kaytris. They need separate crates and as she said one can go under the table if space is a problem. Or a closet if you leave the door open. Or the bathtub if it fits. :D

AshleyMic
June 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
When we first adopted Dale he was like a dream and then a week passed and he became Jeckyll and Hyde. When we were at home he was so wonderful but when we would leave him alone he would destroy the house. We choose not to crate as he has some serious issues with being caged but we did spend a lot of time working with him and trying to help him get passed his seperation anxiety. After about 2 months we finally got to the point where we were able to come home ot a intact house. Rescue dogs are usually very insecure but once Dale realized he was in his forever home his destructive behaviour stopped.
It will take osme time and a lot pf patience but in the end it is so worth the effort
Good Luck

OntarioGreys
June 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM
He is gertting comfortable now and testing his boundaries