Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with Constipation

kiminpenny
June 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Hello I am new here, I am sure this question has been answered here somewhere, but being new here I am not sure how to search for something in particular, so I hope you will bear with me. I have a 9 year old black lab neufy cross. For the last two or three days he has not been putting his tail up and seems to be lacking energy, walking very slowly, does not appear to be in pain in any particular area of his body. Eyes are a little runny but not terrible. I am wondering if he is constipated. I noted after cleaning the yard that he has not had a bowel movement in a couple of days. I also just noticed him straining a few times in the yard with no results. We have never noted a problem with him in this way before. My question is, can I give him mineral oil, added to wet food, i know it is dangerous to feed direct as they can aspirate on it. I would like to resolve this issue then maybe feed him a better diet which I would love recommendations on. Any other ideas or is this a big issue that I should just take him to the vet for.

I really really appreciate any help you people could give me regarding

Thank you

Kim

:pawprint: :ca:

OntarioGreys
June 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Give your vet a call, there is a possibilty he has a blockage in his disgestive tract left untreated it can be fatal.

meb999
June 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I agree, I would take him to the vets ASAP!

We have a really good dog and cat food forum, if you want to change your dog's diet, there's lotsa really good info : http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

rainbow
June 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM
When was the last time he had blood work done? At nine years old, he is a senior dog, and should have a panel done at least once a year. Please take him to the vet and let us know the results. :pawprint:

Prin
June 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Lethargy and straining to "go" are both things that you should see a vet about. I hope all goes well.:fingerscr

mafiaprincess
June 8th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Mineral oil is a horrible choice of laxitive. It acts as a toxin that the dog cannot get rid of. While there are better, after a few days of nothing, it's vet time. Which is why I am out with my dog as she potties. I want to see what she's doing and when. If you'd caught it earlier on, and it was simply constipation, there was still time to resolve it yourself.

I hope by now you didn't try to do it yourself and did consult a vet.