Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Typing courses in Montreal?

marko
June 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a typing course in Montreal in order to finally learn how to type properly. I'd prefer a real course (not an online course)

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!

Marko

HunterXHunter
June 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Marko, to be honest, you don't really need to look into any typing courses. They will all tell you what I'm about to tell you now (except with some diagrams):

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
Q W E R T Y U I O P
A S D F G H J K L ;
Z X C V B N M , . /

1. Your left pink to index finger is placed on A S D F, and right index finger to pinky on J K L ; respectively. And both thumbs on the Space bar.

2. Each finger is responsible for the letters/keys in its corresponding column (as well the keys closest to that finger). So what does that mean?
It means that your left ring finger is for: 2 W S X
left middle finger is for: 3 E D C
right middle finger is for: 8 I K ,
and right ring finger is for: 9 O L .

Your left pinky is for: 1 Q A Z and all the keys to the left of it (so Tab, Caps Lock, Left Shift/Ctrl)
Your right pinky is for: 0 P ; / and all the keys to the right of it (so the brackets, Backspace, Enter, Right Shift/Ctrl)

Your left index finger is for: 4 R F V and 5 T G B
Your right index finger is for: 7 U J M and 6 Y H N

Your thumbs should be for the Space bar and the Left/Right Alt

3. For capitalization, you should press the Shift key that is on the opposite side of the letter you're trying to capitalize. Example: P = Left Shift + p, T = Right Shift + t, etc.

Practise:
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." is a popular phrase to type while practising because it covers all the letters of the alphabet.
You could also sit in front of the tv and turn on closed caption and type the text as they appear on the screen and then check during commercials to see how much of it you got.

Tips:
Avoid looking at the keyboard while you're typing, and studies have shown that it takes on avg. 2-3 weeks of constant "re-doing" for something to become a habit so don't give up!

Yes, I know this kind of a "web course", but it's really not that hard, you just have to keep at it! If not, try looking looking into night courses offered by colleges in your area. Most will have some sort of "Introduction to Keyboarding" or "Keyboarding I" type course.

Hope that helps.

marko
June 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Wow that helps HunterXHunter - thanks so much for typing that (bet it didn't take you long ;) )

I will try this out.

One of the reasons I wanted a non-online course was just to change scenery....

but I will give this a try.

Thx!

Marko