Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digestive Problmes

SugarbearPaws
June 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
My dog Eddy (7 years, mixed breed) seems to have alot of trouble with his stomach since we moved to France. Most of the time he eats nomally (Science Diet Maintenance), but occassionally will not eat his evening meal. There is often lots of gurgling noise in his stomach and noxious bouts of gas. We live in an apartment here in France, but used to live in a house with a garden in Malaysia. When we were in Malaysia, we noticed that he would often take pieces of charcoal (not the manufactured kind, it was natural) and chew on them. He doesn't have access to that here in France, and he also doesn't have constant access to grass. Could it be that he needs the charcoal in his diet? I've tried giving him some natural digestive tablets, but they don't seem to help.

We also have some of the hardest water found anywhere. Can the hard water be bothering him? It is high in calcium and magnesium. We filter the water, but don't soften it.

Thanks for the feedback.

SugarbearPaws.

jawert1
June 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
He may be having trouble with the stress of adjusting as well as food that he could be allergic to. Have you tried doing a very bland home cooked food for him? There are a lot of good recipies in the food forums and many here (including myself) refuse to feed brands like Hills since they cause major gastric/skin/fur/ear issues as they're full of unidentifiable meats, corn and other irritants. I personally feed both my dogs Solid Gold Wolf King, partly because my Pointer's ears are MUCH cleaner on it, but also because my Shepherd/Chow has a very sensitive stomach and she does very well on it. It might be tough to find there in France, but I'm certain there are probably good alternatives. If your dog is seeking out relief on his own (you mentioned he did while in Malaysia), then I'd look into the food as a culprit. Good luck and keep us posted :) :pawprint:

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Have you checked with vet to rule out say pancreatitis? You might also consider switchig him to bottled water to see how that works out. Since you are feeding him Science Diet now, why not try a can or two of Hill's I/D - I keep a couple of cans on hand for emergency purposes for my Eskie in event of stomach upset - normally he eats a Salmon based kibble. Hope pup feels better soon.

Prin
June 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'd be sure with the vet first, but then I'd switch foods. I don't know what they have in France, but you should probably try something without any corn...

OntarioGreys
June 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
How often do you feed? Have you noticed that gurgling/upset tummy occurs approximately the same time each day? Some dog will get what is referred to as empty stomach syndrome, basically bile starts building in their stomach when they have not eaten in a while , it often helps to feed samller meals more frequently plus give a nighttime snack eg a slice of bread at bedtime, to help them get thru the night.

As others mentions it could be an intolerance to one of the ingredients in the Science diet, one of my own dogs get an upset stomach from corn

pitgrrl
June 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I've had a lot of gastro problems with my dogs, so maybe some things that worked for them might be of help to you.

Feeding 3 times a day, rather than 2. Same amount of food, just split into smaller portions, the last being given right before bed.

Adding plain, no sugar or flavour added, yogurt to every meal.

Probiotics, which can be found specifically for animals, or you can just get the human kind.

I ended up just making the dogs food, as I never found a kibble that really worked for them. Maybe if everything else doesn't help, and you've had him check by a vet, that might be a good option, especially since it seems like not as many dry foods are available in Europe.

SugarbearPaws
June 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions. I will try the more frequent meals and the yoghurt. Eddy eats twice a day with a mid-day snack of three biscuit treats. I often feel like I'm not feeding him enough but his weight and conditon are very good. I just feel like he's still hungry after he eats, but he's probably just looking for extras.

He has been on this food since he was a puppy. I know about the controversies over commercial dog food, but it is not possible for me to feed him homemade meals. The Science Diet is made in the Netherlands and so I feel confident in the quality of the ingredients. Most of the French feed Royal Canin, but I'm not convinced it's very different from Science Diet. He only has these episodes of not eating maybe once every two months or less. It's more the tummy noises and the gas that he rarely had in Malaysia. Yes the noises are usually towards the evening, and so I will try the three meals a day. Usually he is fine after he's eaten some grass, which sometimes makes him vomit but sometimes doesn't.

Anyway, I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again.
SugarbearPaws and Eddy

phoenix
June 8th, 2006, 08:56 AM
charcoal is an old time remedy for absorbing toxins (like a poison control).

it sounds to me that before, your dog was self medicating to get rid of something in his system (eating charcoal and grass/vomiting)... so he always HAD the gastro problem, but is showing it more now that he doesn't have access to charcoal and grass.

I'd attack the source though, rather than supplementing him with charcoal (i don't think he needs it..) Food change might help stop whatever it is that is causing him the problem.

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I know about the controversies over commercial dog food, but it is not possible for me to feed him homemade meals. The Science Diet is made in the Netherlands and so I feel confident in the quality of the ingredients. Most of the French feed Royal Canin, but I'm not convinced it's very different from Science Diet. He only has these episodes of not eating maybe once every two months or less.Home cooked is not the only other option. There are other all-natural kibbles out there on the market with no corn. I don't know which ones France has, but I'm pretty sure there are some better ones than Science diet and royal canin.

SugarbearPaws
June 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
So far I haven't been able to find any other premium pet foods where we live. However, I went to the Eagle Pack website and they have two distributors in France. I've sent emails to see if they know of shops in my area that sell their food, or if not by mail order.

What are any opinions about the Eagle Pack?

In the meantime, I've started giving him a small snack around 4 pm, and we haven't had the gurgling tummy problems or any grass eating so far. Today was only the second day that I've done this so only time will tell. I'll also start with adding the yoghurt today.

Thanks everyone for your help.

SugarbearPaws and Eddy.:pawprint:

Prin
June 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Eagle pack isn't the best... They still have stool hardeners (like beet pulp) and a few of their formulas have corn. They're just ingredients you don't expect to see in holistic foods. But still better than science diet or royal canin.:)

rainbow
June 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
The Eagle Pack holistic ones don't have corn in them but they do have citric acid. So if you're dog is a large breed and bloat is a concern don't moisten his food.

I also agree Eagle Pack isn't the best. Is Science Diet, Royal Canin and Eagle Pack the only choices you have in France?

SugarbearPaws
June 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I have seen a few others, like at the veterinarian, but they are in the same vein as Science Diet and Royal Canin. I didn't see corn in any of the Eagle Pack Holistic diets. I'm particularly interested in the "Holistic Fish & Oatmeal" because he loves fish, supplemented with the canned varieties. No he is not a large breed. He is a "normal" dog (ie local stray dog) from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and is medium sized.

Can anyone give me their opinions about better foods, and I'll see if I can locate them here? We don't live near Paris or any of the other large French cities, but if I know what to look for maybe we can make a special trip. I can speak French but I'm not that confident or that fluent, so speaking on the phone is a major issue for me.

Also, I will be changing my cat's food as well and would like to use the same brand I switch Eddy to. She also eats Science Diet Maintenance but at the moment isn't very keen on it. She is also of questionable heritage, but is part siamese. When she has to go to the kennel, she won't eat her kibble and when she comes home it takes her awhile to get back on it. She gets a small amount of canned food in the mornings but apparently won't eat the kibble at the kennel. When she comes home, she's pretty fussy about the kibble as well. I'm interested in the Holistic Duck Meal & Oatmeal, supplemented with a bit of the canned varities. Any opinions?

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

OntarioGreys
June 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
One of my greys was on Eagle Pack and she did absolutely wonderful on it including a gorgeous shiny coat without having to supplement
Beetpulp provides fiber in small quantity rather than being a filler, it comes from the sugar beet and the sugar is removed it is not that big a deal in small amounts, where large amounts are used sometimes dogs coats take on a reddish color, my girl is black and their was no hint of red in her coat, same with the white dog that was also eating the eagle pack, they had been on the food for almost 1 1/2 years when the picture was taken, I was feeding the holistic in the gold colored bag

Maya has lupus which can cause the coat to become dull and flakey and you can see how beautiful her coat looks on the Eagle Pack as I said she was not given any supplement like oils this is the results of the food only and she was not gassy on the food

http://www.mypetpages.net/index.php?getpage=fullsizeImage&artist_id=1731&image_id=59439

And Nikki with the all white coat, proof that it does not have excess beet pulp otherwise she would have taken on an apricot tinge to her coat
http://www.mypetpages.net/index.php?getpage=fullsizeImage&artist_id=1731&image_id=59425

SugarbearPaws
June 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hi OntarioGreys

Wow! Terrific pictures. The coats look really nice. I appreciate your comments. I'm still waiting for a reply from the distributor about shops in our area that carry the Eagle Pack. I found a couple of other brands available here, but they all have corn as a top ingredient. If I can find the Eagle Pack, I think I'll give it a try.

I appreciate your comments on the beet pulp issue as well. Eddy is black with some white and now greying marks. He has a nice coat and the veterinarian even commented on how shiny it was, but I'd sure like it to look as nice as your dog's coat.

Thanks again.:thumbs up