Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wet Hair causing odour - help

xanthia
June 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I have a Shihpoo and her face is constantly wet mostly due to her eyes running. The vet tried to clear her tearducts when she was being spayed and already "under", but said that they are so tiny that he had a difficult time getting in there and felt it would be too much to keep "poking" her. Also, when she drinks her whole face gets very wet and takes a long time to dry. I am constantly trying to dry her face with tissues, but no matter how often I do it, the hair on her face remains damp all the time. Now it has started to smell - like a dirty dish cloth - you know that moldy, musty smell. What can I do??? Any help would be appreciated.

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Can you trim the fur on the face? If the fur is long, that might be a place to start...

xanthia
June 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM
The vet already cut the hair under her eyes. The groomer works in my vets office and was told to cut her hair there. She went for a full hair cut a week ago...

Prin
June 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
oh.. ok... :o I'm not sure then. If the fur on her face is short, the only other suggestion I'd have is to towel dry it... But more people should be on tomorrow with more suggestions.:o

OntarioGreys
June 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I am not sure about shih poos but with my former cocker there was lip folds on either side of the lower jaw, which I had to wash and dry daily to prevent infection as food particles and moisture would get into the skin fold which if not cleaned could get inflamed and infected, something you may want to look and see if present on your dog

For washing the dogs skin you can use a product like Hibitane skin cleanser I purchased at Shoppers Drugmart it is a low sudsing antibacterial soap, just put some on a wet cloth and rub in, and just wipe off afterward with a damp cloth, you don't have to rinse it thoughly off like other soaps. It was recommended to me by a vet for treating skin problems that require frequent washing.