Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange water habit

akroaster
January 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
My 11 yr old male cat has starter exibiting strange behaviors in relation to the water he drinks. He has of recent year been allowed to drink from the faucet in the tub. It has progressed to the point where he will not drink from any other thing. .. but heres the weird part. He only drinks from it with the water running over his head.
I am certain his want of the tub water is obvious. its fresh. the same way we drink our water. I really want to make our cats some sort of water circulating device . Has anyone constructed or purchased one (you know what I'm talking about...its in the magazines the airplanes have in the pocket,...sky mall ....) and found its results to be favorable.
Anyone think the cat is just going crazy? thanks for any input

Lucky Rescue
January 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I think your cat is probably just weird, like so many are. However, if he is 11 years old and if he seems to be drinking a lot of water, he should be checked by the vet for kidney problems or diabetes.

Petsmart has a number of flowing drinking bowls for cats. A friend of mine has one and likes it.

You can see them here. (http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/feeders%5F%5F%5Fbowls/psearch.shtml)

Catt31
January 6th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Just a word of caution on the feeders.....make sure the bowl your cat drinks from is not plastic. Feline acne is caused by the plastic bowls. I had the LeBistro feeder and water bowl, and all 3 of my cats got acne as soon as we started using them. When I switched to glass water & food bowls, the acne went away! Not sure if all cats react to plastic that way, but mine did, and none of them are related! I keep them on hand just in case I go out of town for a day or two but I don't use them on a regular basis!