Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any diseases from sea weed?

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Or river weed? :D Boo got jabbed in the leg by a sharp grassy thing yesterday and while I shaved the area and cleaned it really well, I'm wondering if there is some sort of bacteria in the slimey green goo that covers the weeds that could cause an infection. The cut itself (more like a puncture) had some green in it that I couldn't get out (which is why I'm worried). It's a tiny puncture and not very deep, so I'm pretty sure I don't have to go to the vet (but I might still go, if he starts limping or something...)

Anybody know of anything that might cause an infection?

Skryker
June 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I don't know of anything specific from river plants, but :yuck: river water would worry me, especially in a puncture. If you've cleaned it well, it should be fine, and with it shaved, you'll be able to see right away if it's starting to look off. Maybe a warm compress of some sort to pull anything out? Even just a hot cloth might help, especially if it's not deep.

When Bronny had a cut on her foot pad, she actually let me soak her foot in warm water with some epsom salts in it, so it must have felt good-she fell asleep in my lap with her foot in the water, twice a day for about 4 days :D . If the cut is low on Boo's leg, you could try the same thing? Just don't let him drink the water with the epsom salts.

Bronwyn and Fingal send Boo :grouphug: -they keep resting their heads on the desk and my lap as I'm typing. :p

OntarioGreys
June 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Just keep a very close eye on it for swelling, getting warm or redness, there is always a chance of some type of bacteria especially in river water

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
:o Thanks guys. He seems ok (other than faking a limp only when he knows I'm looking). I washed it to death yesterday and there's a little bit of swelling, but otherwise it looks ok.. :fingerscr

rainbow
June 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Boo's owie. Hope he continues to improve. :fingerscr

Prin
June 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Well, he's back running again... Looks like he's ok. It freaked me out though- I was rinsing him off after swimming in the river and I just saw the thing jabbed into his arm. :eek: I don't like seeing things jabbed into my doggy.:(

meb999
June 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
poor Boo -- glad he's feeling better though. I'm sure he's sucking up all the pity (which usually includes lotsa cookies and extra hugs), right?

Prin
June 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Yep. Including fake limping just to get more sympathy. I bought him some wellness banana cookies... I'm a sucker for being useful.:o