Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Micro chipping help

Benny Schnoodle
June 6th, 2006, 06:43 AM
My dog is going to be microchipped this week and im sure im doing the right thing as a pet owner but is it going to hurt the little guy and will it migrate thru his body or does it stay put any help would be appreciated .Also what types of chips are there is ther different frequencies and are all vets and animal control able to read all chips or only certain types .

stinkytaz
June 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
:p It shouldnt hurt too much. When Kasha was a pup, I had her micro chipped when she went in for spaying so she was asleep at the time and im sure she was more worried about her tummy than the scruff of her neck when she came round!!! I think they are universal but I am speaking from the UK so cant be sure for where you are.

The idea of the micro chip is that it stays under the skin your baby wont even notice it they realy are so tiny! Its definately the best idea to have a micro chip although kasha was still stolen ( maybe one day i will geet her back!!):angel: :pawprint:

doggy lover
June 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Both my last dog Travis and now Tucker has been micro chipped, Travis was done while we were standing there he didn't make a noise about it and Tucker was done when he was neutered. Its about the size of a grain of rice, I know Travis's had never moved when he was alive so I don't believe that they migrate or not much anyways. I'm not sure about the vets reading them I hope that they can pick up any on the wand type things, I'll have to ask my vet. Travis was done with petnet now Tucker is done with another one called Eidap it gives the dog a webpage that you can add a pic to if your dog is found you look up his number and there you have it all his info. I'd show you Tuckers but it has alot of personal numbers on that I don't want to give out. I think its worth it.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
We use the microchip from 24hourPetWatch. It does not migrate. If your little guy has a lot of loose skin around the neck, shoulder blade area then it shouldn't bother him. I generally try to do it under anesthetic during altering so that they don't feel a thing. Make sure to choose a chip that is standard for Canada, USA and Europe. That way all current readers can identify it.

Jackie467
June 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
We use the home again chip. Candi did cry a bit when the put the needle in, but she has NO fat on her at all so it bled a little bit. I also had my cat done and I don't think she even noticed that they did anything. I can't feel my cat's so I don't know if it moved or not. However because Candi is an italian greyhound she has no fat at all and you can see hers if you look for it. It did move a little bit but it never goes very far, just a little off the side of her shoulder.

Stacer
June 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
we had our 2 cats microchipped when we adopted them, the animal services guy did it while watched, it was just a needle and neither of them seemed to notice. He said not to touch the area for a few days while their fat/tissue healed around it to prevent it from moving. WE have the AVID ship in both of them. Honestly I don't know the difference from one chip to the next, i guess some are more universal. I've even heard that due the amount of different chips out there and the fact that not all shelters, SPCAs, and vets have the readers for all of the various chips, if your pet is found and brought to a place that doesn't have the right reader for your chip, or your chip isn't able to be to be read by a universal reader, it's essentially useless.

dtbmnec
June 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Is it worth it to get indoor cats to get the microchip?

I only ask this because the likelyhood of Pawz or Leo getting out is next to impossible (3 doors, stairs, and someone's liable to notice!). Or should I maybe get it done when I move to maybe a less secure location (ie. a house or an apartment with just a single door blocking them) kinda thing?

Megan

Shamrock
June 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Well, a microchip is forever (hopefully)...so if you see yourself getting it somewhere down the line.. no harm in doing it now.

One of my cats slipped out and disappeared a couple of years ago, and miraculously showed up after six days. I thought I'd never see him again, and was devastated.

After that frightening close call, I had all 3 cats and the dog microchipped.. and they didnt flinch at all when done.

They all now wear collars as well, even though they arent really ideal for long haired cats.( have to check and groom daily for matting)

In addition to my phone number, their tags all say the same thing:
Microchip/Tattoo ID
Special Needs (a white lie);)

There arent any guarantees of course. Collars can come off, microchips can be missed,, not to mention the many other scary things that can happen to cats who suddenly are cast into the great outdoors..:sad:
But it does give me some peace of mind as far as tracing them if ever lost or injured.

LM1313
June 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I brought in a stray dog to the shelter once (obviously a family pet, collar but no tags) and they looked for the microchip right there in front of the receptionist's desk . . . They swept every part of the pooch, so even if it migrated, they would've found it. But I've heard they don't migrate. My kitty boys have AVID chips which were done for free upon adoption. According to AVID's brochure, they'll provide a scanner free to any vet or animal shelter who asks.

~LM~

Jackie467
June 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I got my indoor only cat microchiped because I'm parinoid that she'll get out. She has never been outside here so wouldn't know where she is. I'm afraid that she would get lost and not be able to find her way home. My mom insisted it was a waste because she is indoor only and she is older but I did it anyway. She doesn't ware a collar so I thought it would be a good idea just incase she should get out.

dtbmnec
June 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Well, a microchip is forever (hopefully)...so if you see yourself getting it somewhere down the line.. no harm in doing it now.

This is true...but I was more concerned about the money at the moment....lol which is why I'm waiting. I have two kitties so they'd both need to be done, but I doubt at this stage in the game that they're *that* likely to get out without me or the boyfriend realising it (we're the kind of people who check where the cats are if they're being too quiet lol).

:) something to look into eventually...

Megan

LibbyP
June 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I have all my pets done, for the just in case... Alot of adoption (SPCA's in Ontario) micro-chipping is part of the adoption fee, if not alot will have a reduced fee for you to have it done, doesn't hurt to ask. When I went to have my boy neutered they(clinic) also offered it as well. We were told not to pet or groom his neck for acouple of days to let it heal over, it it the size of rice and (they) didn't seem to notice. So with that said YES I would have it done even if the animal is staying indoors:pawprint: