Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pug having first litter:0)

puglover101
June 6th, 2006, 02:05 AM
My hollie is having her first litter of pups.
She is losing her hair. Is this normal... She dose not have flea's.
She just started doing this. Her pups will be born soon . Its like every time the pups move she diggs. We are having 5 pups. They all have loveing homes to go to. Any help would be great
:pawprint:

LM1313
June 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I would definitely take her to the vet to see what's going on . . . I'm glad that you have homes lined up for the puppies, that's great. :) But please consider spaying your dog because of the animal overpopulation problem. Thousands of dogs are put to sleep every day, :( including purebreds. If you love puppies, how about seeing if you can foster a pregnant dog from an animals shelter and raise the pups until they're of an adoptable age? :)

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The hair loss could be a hormonal issue. Please get vet help for her so she doesn't potentially put the babies at risk.

meb999
June 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I would definetly take her to the vet.

My hollie is having her first litter of pups.

Do you mean by first litter that she'll be having more? please take LM1313's advice, you wouldn't want to be adding to the pet overpopulation problem. Take her to the vet, and after her litter is weaned, have her spayed. She'll be a happier, healthier pup.

doggy lover
June 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Your dog could have mange and the pups will be at risk. Take your dog to the vet asap. We believe in spay and neuter here so please think about having it done so you don't cause your dog any more health problems later.

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I so hope you had extensive genetic and health testing before breeding her... Pugs have so many genetic disorders and if you have done the testing, you'd minimize the risk of bringing unhealthy, suffering puppies into the world.:fingerscr

mafiaprincess
June 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Hope you've also done extensive research. Pugs are not a breed that can whelp alone. Often they cannot break the sacs themselves, and are at risk for emergency c sections due to whelping problems. You need to know what to look for.

puglover101
June 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I did take hollie to the vet. Today... I called my vet an told him what she was doing.It is a hormonal thing she dosnt have mange THANK GOD I thought it might be... An no This is her last litter... Its to hard on the dam.
My male is coming home tomorrow from being fixed.. My pugs are my baby's.
An yes i had both mom an dad tested for everything under the sun..
We don't need a c section all the pups are the same size.. We had an ultrasound at 21 days to see how many. We then had another one done at 55 days for the size of them,
All is well:)
If my dogs even act like they don't feel good there at the vet. poof.
My family tells me all the time there dogs not kids. Puff on that there my kids to I just didn't pop them out..lol
They get the best dog food an treats an toys.Shoot they even have there own baby pool. :angel:

technodoll
June 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
sounds like you've done everything responsibly, including having good, serious & loving homes lined up for all the pups. hope you post photos of the cuties when they're born! :pawprint:

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I Puff on that there my kids to I just didn't pop them out..lol lol my feelings exactly! :)

Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and the pups. (oh and please post baby pug pics!!)

puglover101
June 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I will post some pics once i figure out how...lol
Maybe hubby will do it for me... i'm not going to hold my breath on that one though.lol

puglover101
June 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
:pawprint: :pawprint: I will post some pics once i figure out how...lol
Maybe hubby will do it for me... i'm not going to hold my breath on that one though.lol
Well hollie did it today. But not with out help.
I thought she would have them last night. So if any of this dosn't make sents :sorry: Ive had 5 hrs of sleep in 2 nights . But well worth its whaight is gold...hollies temp lastnight was 89.5. Well i called the vet thinking she might be sick from the trip there yesterday. or i thought omg what if she got something off an nothere dog. With her being 3 days away from her duedate I couldn't carry her. Anyway he told me she was ok. they sometimes drop a lil
Well her temp 1hr before the puppys came was 97.4. I tried to let hollie do as much as she could. I did rip the sack open. Just the head an wiped it free from uck.lol Then i cutt the sack away an let hollie do the rest. there cords where to thick an she was gaging an what have you.
We have 5 healthy babys now. An all are doing great. She dose have 2 I'm going to keep. My mom an ant aren't getting theres Ha Ha . My mom an ant are ok with that. the 2 i'm keeping are odd kind of a brindel look. An there nose are pink. an mom an dad both are full stock Akc paper's an all.
Night all