Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog drinking water from the river.

mistycarole
June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Is it alright for your dog to drink water from the river.

LM1313
June 6th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Depends on how clean the river is, I guess. There's one near us that has a waste treatment plant upstream. It doesn't smell bad or anything, but still . . .

I know humans can get some diseases from drinking untreated water, not sure about dogs.

~LM~

AshleyMic
June 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hi There
If your dog is drinking from any outside water such as rivers, puddles or streams you may want to have him vaccinated against leptospirosis.
Outbreaks of leptospirosis are usually caused by exposure to water contaminated with the urine of infected animals. Many different kinds of animals carry the bacterium; they may become sick but sometimes have no symptoms. Leptospira organisms have been found in cattle, pigs, horses, dogs, rodents, and wild animals.
It is not that common but I had Dale vaccinated since we spend a lot of time outdoors and it is just one less thing to worry about.
Dale's Mom

phoenix
June 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
yes, and apparently there is also a vax for giardia now... another critter they can ingest in pond water.

jessi76
June 6th, 2006, 11:26 AM
If I'm out w/ my dog, I carry water for him, and discourage drinking from rivers & brooks. There are a few rivers around my area I won't let my dog step foot in, nevermind drink from. At least I KNOW the water I'm carrying for him has been filtered. sometimes it's unavoidable, but I really do my best to discourage it.

erykah1310
June 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
My dogs are always drinking from lakes and streams, fully vaccinated of course, sometimes they get a bit of a tummy upset but nothing major. Just becareful for beavers, ( if this applies to you)
The dogs only get tummy upset when its a "stagnant" creek or pond. If its flowing good, chances are that is being well filtered by nature.

JessXx
June 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah it depends on how clean the river is... if its a dirty river then its not a good idea but with our river its fine for dogs to drink out of it...

mistycarole
July 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Thank you!

TMac
July 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Please please please just check with someone to see if the river is clean. If not, try to keep your dog away. My last dog died from E. Coli contracted from dirty river water out by Cape Breton. Griffey :rip:
While Griffey's case was pretty rare, you also want to avoid the more common stuff (like Giardia - "beaver fever") that others have mentioned.

P.S. I talked to my vet about the new Giardia vaccine and apparently the jury is still out as to its effectiveness. She said it would lessen any symptoms but would not prevent the dog from contracting it.

bendyfoot
August 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
I've read reports about dogs dying from toxicity associated with blue-green algae in the water they were playing in. It's not a common type of algae, but I've been hearing reports of it cropping up in lots of bodies of water in Quebec...