Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My really rude neighbor rant

jawert1
June 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM
First a little background...the weather in VA has been delightful the past couple of days, so much so that I can have the windows open and let the breeze blow through (I LOATHE air conditioning). I have a 4th floor apartment with floor to ceiling windows and a lovely balcony. When I'm home, Peaches and Simon are allowed to come and go on the balcony as they please, when I'm not, they're shut in but still have the windows, which are open. Tonight I got home to find a formal letter of complaint from my leasing office, the subject was excessive noise, particularly barking dogs. No date, no other information, just I was in violation of my lease due to this. My lease doesn't state any specifics as to the type of noise, nor does it have a pet noise clause. So I called the office and asked if there's no date on the complaint, how could it possibly be my dogs? There's another dog on this side of the building, a pretty Springer, who barks her darn head off day and night b/c her owners just leave her alone (kills me). They said it was my downstairs neighbor that complained, which by lease rules he was supposed to come to me first. Here's where it gets good. This is a guy who leased a non-smoking apartment, this is a non-smoking building, but chainsmokes on his balcony (which is right under mine). Meaning I have to close my windows and the patio door and pull the dogs in b/c then MY place smells like a friggin ashtray. I quit smoking 4 years ago, I don't need this nonsense, however I tolerate it because well let's face it, I have two dogs that aren't always quiet or light of foot. I don't want to get into a pissing match with this guy, but I had to tell the leasing office about this and thankfully the lady 2 floors down with the barking Springer happens to work at the office and knew who I was talking about (she had missed the earlier part about her dog being noisy). Common courtesy is all I'm asking for, but now I'm playing on a really immature level and I hate it. Tonight when I went out to the store, I had to close my windows and shut my blinds so my 2 wouldn't be able to see or hear what was going on in the courtyard so they wouldn't bark. I feel awful since my pups now have to go without, I feel like a total b&*$h cuz I stooped to his level and just karmically screwed and angry all around:confused:

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
:grouphug:

People are ignorant and they suck. I am finding this out more and more daily.

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I'd set up a tape recorder (one that only turns on when there is noise) and record your dogs. My old neighbors complained of barking "all day" and when I taped it, not only did Boo bark for under 2 minutes all day, the rest of the tape was full of THEIR dog barking.:rolleyes:

So, ya, before you punish your dogs by taking freedoms away, tape 'em.:)

jawert1
June 6th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I'm borrowing a friend's webcam as well as setting up the recorder so I can watch and tape them, just disturbs me that I have to go to these lengths when I'm not a bad tenant and neither are my dogs.

HunterXHunter
June 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm borrowing a friend's webcam as well as setting up the recorder so I can watch and tape them, just disturbs me that I have to go to these lengths when I'm not a bad tenant and neither are my dogs.

Just becareful not to accidentally violate any privacy laws with the webcam :thumbs up

PetFriendly
June 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I use motion activated web cam software to monitor my dog with a web cam. The software was free to download and works really well. Its called WebCam Monitor if you wanted to try it out.

stinkytaz
June 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
:mad: I dont get why people complain to landlords before they complain to the people supossedly causing the trouble - apart from that they have no back bone and dont care about the implecations of there actions. Like anyone needs the stress of false accusations on top of normal everyday life!!! Poor doggies are only shouting to their mum out the window!!

jawert1
June 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks PetFriendly, I'll check it out :) Hunter, I've already asked Peach and Simon if they'd agree to be monitored through the day and they wagged (which I generally take for a yes - sort of like Mr. Cotton's Parrot) but they get royalties in the form of peanut butter biscuits :)

shelly75
June 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
What is with nosy neighbors?
I was at bf's house with FrenchFry for 10 days when my superintendent called supposedly my nosy and mean was complaining that I was allowing my dog to pee off my 4th floor balcony to hers:eek: a few things 1) hmm not home so not possible 2) my dog wighs 9lbs and fits through the bars on the balcony so I don't allow her there even when we are here and 3) she is so small even if she did pee on the balcony it wouldn't run down the way lady made it seem. My super tried explaining to her that sorry its not possible and the lady is still very intent that its my dog no way its the dog above me that wieghs around 60lbs and is tied up at all hours on that balcony:eek:

Brat
June 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
WOW...this sounds EXACTLY like my downstairs neighours! We are on the 3rd and top floor of an apartment building.

From the first day we moved in, he had a problem with our dog. He said we were cruel to leave him in a cage all day and that he made noise all day. So because we were terrified of getting a call from the landlord, we gave my guy run of the house. Week after week, we were getting calls from the super intendant saying that our neighbour complained about the barking and yelping and howling. My neighbour would conveniently be outside everytime we got home from work to tell us the barking was getting bad and asking us to do "something" with our dog.

Finally, we got a call from our landlord saying we had to get rid of our dog. I'm sure my dog howls a bit but nothing over like 10 minutes total throughout the whole day. The downstairs neighbour is a pure A$$@#$!@#. Everyone has had problems with him. He complains when the guy makes a BBQ below him because he says "the smoke comes in through my windows. Meanwhile his wife is a chain smoker and she sits on the balcony smoking and my apartment smells HORRIBLE.

When I confronted him a few weeks ago about something (knocked on his door) he came out arms in the air, chest out, looked like he was ready to hit me. And here I am, 5'5 girl in front of a 6'2 man. I've totally lost any respect i happened to have for him as a neighbour. And now, my bf and I just DON'T care. We don't say hi to him, I don't give him the time of day.

I told him to buy a house if he wants peace and quiet and that it's not fair that people are supposed to live their life around HIM.

Good luck! :D

jawert1
June 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Well tonight took the cake, I've been sitting here with the pups watching Family Guy and the Springer 2 floors down managed to drown out my tv. I'm not so much angry right now as I am so concerned that that poor dog is so alone she just barks and barks and barks. I heard the downstairs neighbor (while sitting smoking on his porch) say to his SO, "well, I guess it wasn't her dogs upstairs". DUH!!! I think I'm going to ask the Springer's owner (who, ironically, works in the leasing office) if she wants me to look in on her in the evenings since I'm usually home. I don't want to be blamed for that barking, but having once had a Springer, I know how lonely they get even in a little while :/